Author Topic: Ice 55 will not shut down  (Read 7393 times)

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice 55 will not shut down
« on: Dec 08, 2016, 08:35 AM »
My Ice 55 will not turn off.  Started a couple of seasons ago.  Not a super big deal, just slip off the battery lead and it is off, but I'd like to fix it.  Doubting there is a DIY fix?

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice 55 will not shut down
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2016, 10:00 AM »
Maybe go to the auto parts store and buy a switch of you liking and install on the case in a convenient spot. Ive done this to my LX7 and FL22. Cheap master power switch.

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2016, 02:02 PM »
My Ice 55 is the same way.
I don't think any switch will work.   
I searched for a replacement and I found a part number but the company's that sold them would only sell in large quantities.  (Like 100 or 1000 I don't remember )

You could send it to hummingbird but they want $200+ to fix it. 
Which I thought was unacceptable on a $400 unit.

If there was a fix I will definitely fix mine and then sell it.
I'm sure my buddy 3300 will have more information on this.

I bought  a marcum lx7 and just have the ice55 for a guest. 

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2016, 04:39 PM »
Mount switch somewhere on the carry case/shuttle, not the head unit.

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2016, 06:16 PM »
I dont have any experience with birds....what is their warranty and non-warranty policy that they are wanting $200 to repair a unit!? Is that a flat rate repair or what?

Offline justborn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2016, 06:50 PM »
I dont have any experience with birds....what is their warranty and non-warranty policy that they are wanting $200 to repair a unit!? Is that a flat rate repair or what?

Hbird typically does a 1yr warranty, then flat $ repair based on product. They had a 2yr mail-in Select warranty offer when I last upgraded my boat. 

I would call, maybe ask to speak with a technician and explain that they need to sell you a switch?  Anyone slightly savy with a soldering iron might offer help?   Flat rate for a switch is stupid. 

http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Support/FAQ/RepairFees/

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2016, 07:52 PM »
can you post a picture of the switch.... preferably out of the unit?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2016, 07:57 PM »
was painting and just got home.

the on/off/depth switch is a decoder switch that only hb has and holds you hostage for one. i needed one and they refused to replace mine after i paid them to repair the unit. i have no good words for that company whats so ever.

when you send yours in ( i highly recommend not sending it in and spend those monies on some thing better), they will tell you they replace any thing the tech finds wrong with it and if he miss's any thing just send it back to get what ever he missed repaired. i had to send mine in twice and two times they refused to replace that switch. it's a common problem being it's in a poor spot and gets hit easily.
you can pull or push in on it to try to get it to react to turning it again. another work around would be to add a simple switch to the battery if the depth is working as is.

a 200$ switch is just wrong and you have to pay shipping each time you have to send it to them. you get a 90 day warranty. marcum gives one year for the same service and 75$ cheaper.

i sure don't miss mine at all! i also have the hb ice-55 and it was replaced with a lx9. i do try to warn others off before they spend with hb.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2016, 08:41 PM »
was painting and just got home.

the on/off/depth switch is a decoder switch that only hb has and holds you hostage for one. i needed one and they refused to replace mine after i paid them to repair the unit. i have no good words for that company whats so ever.

when you send yours in ( i highly recommend not sending it in and spend those monies on some thing better), they will tell you they replace any thing the tech finds wrong with it and if he miss's any thing just send it back to get what ever he missed repaired. i had to send mine in twice and two times they refused to replace that switch. it's a common problem being it's in a poor spot and gets hit easily.
you can pull or push in on it to try to get it to react to turning it again. another work around would be to add a simple switch to the battery if the depth is working as is.

a 200$ switch is just wrong and you have to pay shipping each time you have to send it to them. you get a 90 day warranty. marcum gives one year for the same service and 75$ cheaper.

i sure don't miss mine at all! i also have the hb ice-55 and it was replaced with a lx9. i do try to warn others off before they spend with hb.

Sounds like a great reason to buy a Vexilar.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2016, 09:22 PM »
Sounds like a great reason to buy a Vexilar.
it's a perfect reason to buy any thing other than hb.
when vex starts making digital ice sonars, i will be watching them, not until then. i don't care for wheel charts on my sonar. been there, done that.

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2016, 11:38 AM »
Mount switch somewhere on the carry case/shuttle, not the head unit.

+1 What Flint says.  Wire a switch between the battery and the unit.  Couple bucks for the switch and 10 minutes to install it - a better fix and a LOT cheaper than sending it in and having them replace the switch with the same type that failed!!!!!!!!

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2016, 08:09 PM »
hmmm...... I was seriously considering getting an ICE55 until I read this post.  Doesn't matter how good  or how many features a unit has, if that's the best a company will stand behind the product then I'll move on.  Too bad really.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline 3274mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2016, 09:28 PM »
I just got an ice 55 and likeep it a lot easy to read special if it's your first flasher, I had an fl18 great unit but the bird is much easier to read. I'm curious if the bad experience was when they first came out our recent. Just curious  because most of the complaints I've seen with birds were do to the support cable that made the transducer crooked.    Not trying to kick a hornets nest just curious

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2016, 10:06 AM »
i liked mine too and it was my first ice sonar like it is for you. every thing was fine until the motor quit and i smelled smoke and it ruined my time on ice until i could get another sonar. i had to figure out if i wanted to pay the uber high price hb customer support wants to fix it or buy new. i decided to have it repaired because i was promised to have it all repaired. any thing found to be not right by their tech would be repaired. to me that meant refurbished. so instead of spending that huge amount for the repair on some thing new (which is what i would of done now that i know better) i spent it with them and my unit is still bad after sending it into them two times on my dime.
the center lcd screen continues to black out and not read any thing at all every few minutes or so and the on/off/depth switch is still wonky. you have to play with it to respond. the second time i sent it in was strictly for those two problems. they sent it back and said the tech couldn't duplicate the issues so no changes were made.
i bought a digital lx7 to replace it and am very happy with the major upgrade. i knew if i liked it i would upgrade that to the lx9 and so i have and like it even better now.

to sum up hb's problem is their high priced customer service that only takes your money with out repairing their units and leaves you in limbo with no means to get the parts needed to repair it your self.

maybe by the time you will need service from them, you'll know better now and just spend that 180$ plus shipping on a much better unit so it isn't wasted money. lets see, i have 530$ in buying the unit. another 180$ for service ( high price for poor/no service) plus 20$ to ship to the m two times is 40$. so for 750$ i could have had the lx7 and lots of jigs and bait. hind sight is 20/20 tho.

enjoy it while it's working! and just take off the silly support cable and float. the best thing you can do for it is buy the marcum style arm and stopper so the transducer is up and out of the way of fishing. you should be able to fish it with only an inch of the bottom of the transducer in the water. just keep it centered in the hole.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2016, 07:09 PM »
I bought my Ice 55 the first year they came out, my gain adjusts to only 25 the newer ones to 50. It's 9 years I believe that I've had mine. The transducer has been replaced once but that's the only problem I've had. If it ever needs to be sent it I know it's gonna tick me off. I'm not a fan of the $180 set charge either but this flasher has served me very well and it gets a ton of use every winter and I used to use it in my canoe a lot also.

By the way I never used the support cable or the float. Transducer cord goes on the center of the back of the hole for me. Works great.

One thing to be careful of though is to move the transducer cord every now and then. More than once I've had it freeze to the back of the hole if you stay in one hole for too long on the really cold days.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:17 AM »
I have a lot of HB products and they have never let me down, but I have also heard the horror stories of their flat rate repair and would not blame anyone for being put off by that. And if you had an experience like 3300 did than you'd be really angry- as he is. They make great products, I like the look, the function and everything, but their customer service is a real downside.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline mr.balgonie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2020, 10:32 AM »
Mine was doing the same thing.  It started with not shutting off then then progressed to not being able to select the depth range.  The repair for this is replacing the rotary switch.  Mouser Electronics will sell a single switch and you will not have to buy in mass quantities.  The switch is made by Grayhill and the part number is 51SP30-01-1-06S.  Price was about $30 CAD.  The hardest part is de-soldering the switch.  Unless your a soldering pro I would suggest using a hack saw/Dremel to zip the switch off and de-solder the pins separately.  This can be accomplished with a cheap 30W iron.  Hope this helps.

Mark

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 12:11 PM »
18$ plus s&h. World wide ups saver 8.99

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/grayhill/51sp3001206s-11451431.html

Try desolder braid and or desolder vac or desolder iron. Hold the pin center until remaining solder cools.

Haven't used my hb55 in years. Thought about buying this switch, but I still wouldn't use the flasher if it worked correctly.
Glad to see these available for those looking for it finally.

Offline Icedave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07:43 AM »
Hi. I know this post is older but I just needed to clarify something. I’m also having problems with my on off / depth switch. I see above mr. balognie and 3300 have both put down part numbers for the switch but there is one digit different in the two part numbers. Which one should I order. Thanks
Dave

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2021, 10:30 PM »
Welome to Ice Shanty!!

I didn't dismantle mine, so get the other one. Looks like a typo in search.

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/en/grayhill/51sp3001106s-11451416.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.