Author Topic: New Big Buddy heaters don’t have a fan. Do you use yours?  (Read 18730 times)

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Those that have Big Buddy heaters, do you use your fan?  The new ones that are on sale in Canada come without a fan now.  Thanks.
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New Big Buddy heaters don’t have a fan. Do you use yours?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2019, 09:49 AM »
Those that have Big Buddy heaters, do you use your fan?  The new ones that are on sale in Canada come without a fan now.  Thanks.

I have a fan and never used it.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2019, 09:57 AM »
most guys dont, they really suck up batteries.  i have seen one rigged with clips to run on 12v, that was slick.  there are all sorts of rechargeable or usb powered fans on amazon for about the same price as a pack of d batteries.

Offline Arlberg20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2019, 10:27 AM »
i use mine  seems like it always gets left on and then the batteries are dead  i did a mod to keep the switch from being turned on   it works sometimes  i heard if you get the adapter that lets you plug it in the fan blows twice as hard

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2019, 10:46 AM »
 ;D I use mine to heat my 27 ft 5th wheel when camping for ice fishing. Saves the camper battery. It does great and I've never used the fan and have camped days at a time when the high temp was 10 below. At those temps I can get about 2 days out of a 20 lb tank turning it to low when out of the camper for fishing. I've tried it in the hub but every time the door is open the pilot blows out. So, I really think you'll be happy even without the fan if you can keep the breeze off the pilot.  ;D

Offline Lonestarsask

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:04 AM »
I love my big buddy. Never use the fan

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:09 AM »
With so many other options ..fans ..fans with lights etc ..not sure its a missed feature ..most times folks hardly used the fan ..either not needed ..forgot about it or dead batteries .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2019, 05:33 PM »
I use mine regularly and have never had any issues.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:54 PM »
I always run the fan.   Converted it last year with a $12 amazon stepdown converter that I hardwired into it so I could run on 12v.  Also swapped out the rocker switch with a lighted one from princess auto.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2020, 12:32 AM »
bought one for 70$ us new so i could have a built-in fan. will use a step down converter to get 6vdc from 12vdc lithium battery. or i can use double a eneloops in size D adapters.
haven't fired it up to see if it's worth having. now i have three sizes and should be good for heating needs.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2020, 10:35 PM »
I use mine regularly and have never had any issues.

Do you use your fan?

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:21 AM »
I always run the fan.   Converted it last year with a $12 amazon stepdown converter that I hardwired into it so I could run on 12v.  Also swapped out the rocker switch with a lighted one from princess auto.

JPicks did you follow a guide for that mod or have any additional photos of the connection? looking to do that myself.

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2020, 11:40 AM »
Do you use your fan?
I always use the fan......I turn everything off every time I leave the hut. Never had a problem.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2020, 02:21 AM »
JPicks did you follow a guide for that mod or have any additional photos of the connection? looking to do that myself.

Didn't really follow a guide from what I remember.  I think I saw somebody else on here mention doing it so just kinda winged it.

I can't find the exact converter I used from Amazon but it was a 12v to 6v stepdown.   All the wires are well labeled on the unit when it arrives.   There's an in and out side each with a pos and neg.  I attached the out wires to the contacts for the D batteries because I wanted to leave myself with the option to use the d batteries if I needed to.

The lighted switch was a couple of bucks from princess auto.  Getting it figured was a bit tricky because the switch is 3 pole vs the 2 pole factory switch.   I had to add an extra jumper to power the light once it was turned on.   You can make a set of jumper leads with some alligator clips to get everything sorted before soldering it.

Toughest part was getting the back of the case off.  It takes a not so straightforward pull / pry / unhinge motion to get it off.   I broke a couple of the clips getting it apart but the whole unit is screwed together anyways.   

Offline jhepting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2020, 04:13 PM »
i have always wondered if one of those fireplace fans that work on heat would work if you make a little bracket for it to sit on.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2020, 11:52 AM »
i have always wondered if one of those fireplace fans that work on heat would work if you make a little bracket for it to sit on.
The fireplace fan is a great idea. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I bought a rack from Cabela's last year that was made for the Buddy heaters. I can't find them anywhere online right now for a direct link though.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2020, 06:19 PM »
in a smaller space prob no use  for the fan imo  that being said i mainly use mine in ground blinds during late wt tail season  which we can alwasy discuss hunting lol

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2020, 04:00 PM »
The fireplace fan is a great idea. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I bought a rack from Cabela's last year that was made for the Buddy heaters. I can't find them anywhere online right now for a direct link though.

Just found a youtube video.  Looks like it might be a good idea.

Offline slippery

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2020, 04:45 PM »
The cover for the fan batteries usually gets bumped and then your searching for your 8 D batteries in the snow all the time.  Not worth the hassle.  Don't need the fan either

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2020, 05:05 PM »
Mr Heater sells replacements but I dont know if they will drop in the new BigBuddy, I sent an email but haven't heard a PEEP!
I bought one last year so not an issue really but thought it would be important to know.
I think it unfortunate that they had to stop putting them in.
UPDATING!
OK! I check my spam folder and there was a reply from MrHeater the fan housing can be purchased for the BigBuddy Heater.

Offline swc21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2020, 09:39 PM »
I'm considering buying the bigger buddy heater. What are the pros and cons of using propane heat rather than wood stove. I have a recently built 8 x 14' shack with 1" rigid insulation. Thanks!

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2020, 02:26 PM »
Sitting out on the strap with Shawno right now.   The fireplace fan on the buddy heater is working better than I could have hoped for.   It's putting off a nice steady almost noticeable air current and it's completely silent.

Offline Namaycusher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2020, 08:40 AM »
I'm considering buying the bigger buddy heater. What are the pros and cons of using propane heat rather than wood stove. I have a recently built 8 x 14' shack with 1" rigid insulation. Thanks!

Propane is easier imo. Fill the tank, connect the heater and off to the races. That being said, propane doesnt work great when its cold, its a bit dangerous and produces alot of moisture. Depends on your situation, but if you have an abundance of wood, in a shack like that, I would burn wood.

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2020, 09:21 AM »
I would go with wood heat for these reasons. The heat from wood is a dry heat, propane produces too much moisture, by the end of a long day of fishing I’d bet you would have water droplets falling from the ceiling. Also the wood stove gives you an easy place to put a frying pan, not sure what you’d cook while ice fishing, but again I’d be willing to bet that you’d figure it out. Finally, you can’t beat the smell of a wood burning stove, I personally love it.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2020, 12:24 PM »
Under certain conditions that wood stove will fill the shack with great plumes of smoke, burning your eyes to tears. Those that say it doesn't happen are full of bs. Good to have a way to vent the shack totally  in short order. I use a vented camper furnace in my 8x7. 9000 btu with a couple of computer fans keeps things toasty, easy to adjust the thermostat. No smell or moisture build up.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2020, 12:31 PM »
The only reason there is no moisture build up is that the smoke from combustion is vented to the outside. Wood combustion releases moisture as well but the stove pipe carries it away.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2020, 07:20 AM »
My new fanless big buddy works great. Provides a lot of warmth.  I’ll now work on an attachment to the guard to cook up some smokies etc. 

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2020, 09:24 AM »
they sell a 12v plug in off amazon for like 10 dollars, there is a tiny plug in in the back of the unit,  I just store it in the battery compartment, and either run it off my Milwaukee drill battery, or a spare 12v that I carry for lights in the shelter. Fan works awesome to reduce melting of the ice and prevent to much heat out the front of it. I have certainly used it without the fan, but it is a nice feature if you are staying in one place all day and night :-),
My 2 cents.
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2020, 02:52 PM »
they sell a 12v plug in off amazon for like 10 dollars, there is a tiny plug in in the back of the unit,  I just store it in the battery compartment, and either run it off my Milwaukee drill battery, or a spare 12v that I carry for lights in the shelter. Fan works awesome to reduce melting of the ice and prevent to much heat out the front of it. I have certainly used it without the fan, but it is a nice feature if you are staying in one place all day and night :-),
My 2 cents.
That plug (and the wiring it is attached to) is only a 6v system.  The fan will run on 12v, but will burn out prematurely without a step-down converter if you are hooking it up to a 12v source.

https://www.amazon.ca/Mr-Heater-Optional-Adapter-F276127/dp/B000HE6OAE

Offline Hard Waterman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2020, 01:42 AM »
My new fanless big buddy works great. Provides a lot of warmth.  I’ll now work on an attachment to the guard to cook up some smokies etc.

Save yourself some time and check out the you tube videos of guys just switching the guard around and cooking on it. Looks pretty nifty and simple to do.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.