Author Topic: Please help!!!! need to catch em!!!!  (Read 1371 times)

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
Please help!!!! need to catch em!!!!
« on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:51 AM »
this is my first season and im jealous of all my friends catching them. i have tried everything. whatever there doing in the hole 2 feet away. i dont get one and they catch em all. ive caught perch on tipups and jigging rod with minnows. does anyone know what i should do. imagine going to a new lake? what would u look for, what lure would u use, and where would u go to fish.

Offline ECIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Please help!!!! need to catch em!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:04 PM »
Since you don't have sonar, make sure you have a good spring bobber on your rod.  Start at the bottom and work your way up about a foot at a time.  The reason you want a spring bobber is because they hit from below which would make the spring bobber go up and is hard to see just using the rod tip.  My favorite lures are spoons, mostly the Northland Buckshot Rattle spoon in fire tiger tipped with maggots.  If I am using two rods, I have one with two panfish jigs just sitting there beside me.  I have had good luck with ant style jigs with a dropper consisting of a teardrop or fiska tungsten.  The crappie for me usually see the bottom jig and then hit the ant jig above it.  Hope this helps.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Please help!!!! need to catch em!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2011, 09:57 PM »
Sometimes the way how the bait is hooked makes all the difference.  Sometimes it's the position of the knot that makes all the difference.  Sometimes you want to use 2# or less line instead of the larger lines.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.