Author Topic: Ice wear  (Read 8332 times)

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Ice wear
« on: Sep 14, 2007, 05:50 PM »
Anyone have any experience with Ice Armor suits or the Vexilar suit?  Thinking about picking one up this year and wanted to get some feedback.  Thanks!!
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
Re: Ice wear
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2007, 06:58 PM »
No, but I've gotten my Carhartt's so wet that they freeze and look like iced armor ;D!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2007, 07:08 PM »
Cabela's Trans-Alaska Snow suit, boots,.....

Offline Lastdollar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOTTA LOVE IT
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2007, 07:09 PM »
Anyone have any experience with Ice Armor suits or the Vexilar suit?  Thinking about picking one up this year and wanted to get some feedback.  Thanks!!

I bought the Ice Armor suit and used it last season. Thae suit is well worth the money. Went with the Lowrance Ice machine X67color unit man I love it. enjoy
Brock

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2007, 07:10 PM »
I do not know about the Vexilar suit, but I do have an Ice Armour suit (blue). I like the suit, it has lasted 2 seasons with no problems. The knees are padded which is great when kneeling at the hole pulling in a big wally.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2007, 07:55 PM »
Maybe a mustang (immersion) survival suit might be put on your "look at" list. Especially for first and late ice.
From what I have seen, they are not to much more money then the Ice Armor suits.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2007, 08:36 PM »
I bought the Ice armor suit last year, It was one of the best pieces of equipment I have ever bought. It is awesome, the knees are padded and the butt is also padded. Lots of storage as well. But I can tell you this, do some looking around, everyone is different, and there really isn't a "bad" suit.
Jiffy Ice Drills Pro-Staff
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

Offline muskie_huntre

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2007, 09:48 PM »
I've got both suits,  love the blue ice armor, lots of room.  The Vex suit is awesome too, but you probably need to try it on first, they run a lil more true to size, where the ice armor is made more it seems for layering
MASON

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2007, 09:52 PM »
I own the Vexilar suit and for the money you just can't beat it. I bought the parka and bibs for under $200 total. I fish in any type of weather and I have no complaints whatsoever. My first week out with it I was up on Lac Vieux Desert for a 9 day trip and during this time it never got warmer than 13 degrees (lows generally -10) with real windy conditions most days and I stayed comfortably warm even though we didn't have a shack or portables to go into.

Do some shopping and try as many different brands on as you can. Either way you go it is money well spent.

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2007, 10:16 PM »
I have the Red Artic  Armor suit and I have never been warmer out on the ice, I see a lot of people have the blue suits What is the difference between the red and blue ? Just color ?

Offline badlab1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2007, 02:09 AM »
I have the Red Ice Armor suit and I have never been warmer out on the ice, I see a lot of people have the blue suits What is the difference between the red and blue ? Just color ?

The red one is for women!!!  :laugh:

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2007, 09:31 AM »
Cabela's Thinsulate and Gortex Coat & Pants w/Rocky 1200 gram Thinsulate boots.  Always warm (sometimes too warm) and dry no matter what the conditions.
Bring on the cold!!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2007, 07:23 PM »
I have the Ice Armour suit and am very happy.  You still must layer your clothes under the suit since it is not a true insulated suit.  It really makes it nice on windy days as the suit is thick enough ward off the cold wind.  The padded knees and rear end are great, no more wet pants or frozen pants.  Lots of storage.  They do run big though probably because you must layer your clothes.  Probably prices a little high since there are comparable other suits that are cheaper.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2007, 07:56 PM »
I used to have a blue suit but thought it didnt insulate well enough...I am in South Dakota where the wind blows ALL THE TIME.  And that suit was not a warm suit in my opinion.  Last year I ordered 17 sets of Vex Cold Snap Parka's and Bibs for my Organization....they are the best hands down.  Our members wore everything from carharts, to smurf suits, to cablas wear..They all commented on how the coldsnap gear was the best...Vex has them all beat in my opinion....and 14 pockets in the parka...WOW  Only draw back...if your a big guy and also happen to be tall your in trouble...even their XX, XXX and XXXX bibs are all 32 inch inseam.  Vex's reasoning was "you can lower the suspenders to adjust inseam...lol...ya then the xrotch is at your knees and your a$$ crack is hanging out where your shoulders should be...haha.  If your under 6'2" you can make them work comfortably...if your taller, just get the jacket and get the Black Cabelas top of the line insulated storm proof bibs.  You cant beat the cold snap price...you could buy 2 suits for the cost of 1 grey Ice Armor suit.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2007, 08:18 PM »
I.S. of Perch....thanks for the feedback.  I have to admit, the price made me a little skeptical of the Vex suit, but sounds like you have had good luck with it.  I usually fish lakes within a half hour or so of Mpls, so the only way you can catch fish is if you are constantly on the move.  So, 9 times out of 10, I fish outside. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2007, 09:46 PM »
I like carhartt for the price. But I'll keep checking this thread for other info. Are the Vex bibs truly WATTER PROOF ??? Or after kneeling in slush on a sunny 31deg. day will ones knees become wet 8)(I'm skeptical to say the least)

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 17, 2007, 01:10 PM »
For what is worth I have the Ice Armor Extreme suit love IT.   ;D
Pork Rind

Clam Pro Staff, Vexilar Pro Staff, Lure Lipstick Pro Staff, Aqua-Vu Pro Staff

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2007, 01:30 PM »
Mustang Survival suit all the way. It may not make you look pretty but it sure does give you piece of mind on early and late ice.
      Jim

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2007, 07:07 PM »
This is another option I found on the site sponsor, fish307.com. Its made by I.D.I Gear and is called Arctic Armor.
299.00 for both jacket and bibs. Plus it will float up to  287 pounds of body weight.
http://www.fish307.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6537

May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Sep 24, 2007, 07:08 PM »
A freind of mine has the bibs from IDI gear.   Loves them.    Wore them hard for a least one season with no issues.

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 25, 2007, 10:08 AM »
I get cold easy so I bought Ice-Sentials by Strikemaster last year. They are great I did not get cold once and we were out with no ice house in about -35 degree weather for a pike tourney. The coat has tons of pockets inside and out. The bibs have a few, as well as padded knees which are great. Here is the link
http://www.strikemaster.com/store/hardwater_ware.html

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 25, 2007, 10:28 AM »
http://www.wildthingsgear.com/index.html

check this stuff out. kinda pricey, but made in USA, and is top notch quality.
i have the belay bibs, and am going to get the matching parka this year. it's light weight, and i've never been warmer.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline roverowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The sweet smell of success!
« Reply #22 on: Sep 25, 2007, 10:37 AM »
Another vote for the Mustang Suit.  I've got the jacket and bibs.  Not as secure as the suit, but still better than a life jacket or nothing at all.  GREAT piece of mind for early ice.  I tested it out in the pool this summer and it'll float my 210lb butt.  It doesn't breathe at all, though, so if you get sweaty on the pull out you'll get all clammy.  Turn them inside out to dry or they will not dry.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #23 on: Nov 05, 2007, 04:31 PM »
The Artic Armor from IDI Gear is the way to go, this stuff is super warm, thin, wind proof, water proof and you float.  For $269.00 you get the entire suit with 3 layers of insulation.   I bought the Camo hunting jacket and bibs that only have one layer of insulation and it keeps me toasty warm on those cool November days bow hunting.

Offline roygpa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's da Ice?
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2007, 12:21 PM »
Anybody know where to buy the Arctic Armor suit for $269.00? Is that deal still available?
Southwestern, PA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.