Author Topic: ice armour vs. float suit  (Read 15457 times)

Offline rabidsponge

• Team IceShanty Regular
ice armour vs. float suit
« on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:45 PM »
hey fellas..and the few ladies out there...i have been trying for some time now to decide whether i should purchase one of the mustang flotation suits..a one piece...or the new ice armour x (grey) 2 piece suits. the thing i keep going back and forth about mostly is if i'd rather be able to take the coat off when its warmer outside and how that would work if using the one piece float suit....any one have any thought on this?

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
Re: ice armour vs. float suit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:59 PM »
I keep posting this every where so hopefully some one will get the picture!!! I have a float suit it is TWO PIECE it is just as warm or warmer than an ice armour suit it is very comfortable and it can do what an ice armour suit CANT it could actually save your LIFE some day and it was cheaper than an ice armour suit!!!!! I think ALL of us should own one and i will garantee some day ice armour suits will be float suits but for right now they are not!!!!!! I have a friend who has a one piece mustang float suit,when he gets to warm he takes something off underneath.So if your going to spend the money get a float suit if not for you then get it for your family :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2007, 10:03 PM »
The float suit without a doubt is the better choice in my opinion.It's the "safety belt" of ice fishing-it could save your life.The Ice Armor is nice but it will not help you if you go under.If you get too warm just unzip it.I've went through the ice once and that was enough for me to see the light :-[ My ice fishing trips are much more enjoyable knowing I have it on. ::)
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2007, 10:20 PM »
I keep posting this every where so hopefully some one will get the picture!!! I have a float suit it is TWO PIECE it is just as warm or warmer than an ice armour suit it is very comfortable and it can do what an ice armour suit CANT it could actually save your LIFE some day and it was cheaper than an ice armour suit!!!!! I think ALL of us should own one and i will guarantee some day ice armour suits will be float suits but for right now they are not!!!!!! I have a friend who has a one piece mustang float suit,when he gets to warm he takes something off underneath.So if your going to spend the money get a float suit if not for you then get it for your family :tipup:

hunters08-hopefully we can help fellow ice fisherman make the wise choice regarding the "float suits".Seems to me that we have been preaching the same thing on various other posts.Safety...Safety. ..Safety! I don't know a person yet that has been disappointed with their "float suit".

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2007, 05:58 AM »
I just purchased an Arctic Armor (float suit).With two layers of fleece it's the warmest set up I have worn!
Sat the temp was 18* with 40 mph + wind,Sun it was right around 0 with some wind,I was overdressed.The suit is very light in weight and is non restrictive and it has tons of pockets in the right place.It was around $300.00 at Fish 307
The float suits will keep you up but they are NOT a Coast Guard approved PFD. 8)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2007, 07:57 AM »
After going through one time about 5 years ago, I bought a Mustang Survival Classic 185 suit. I was very uneasy on the ice after my experience. I love the security a Hypothermia/Flotation suit provides.

Mustang suits are designed for working environments so they're very comfortable to wear.  Granted I look like the "Great Pumpkin" in my suit....but I don't leave home without when the ice is less than 6".

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Walleyemaniac

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2007, 07:59 AM »
  There are a couple testimonials on http://walleyedan.com. Go to the store then click on arctic armor. CW

Offline dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2007, 04:32 PM »
 RG it did not bother me much when I went through on early or late ice .I had an idea it is a probability. But when out on 6 + inches and suddenly find yourself swimming in 85 fow at 10 deg outside it really messes with your head.  Never think that 6+ there is no danger :o Like rondog I have the Artic Armour and am very pleased with its warmth and comfort.
If Fishin were easy they would call it Catchin

Offline mcwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2007, 06:29 PM »
two piece floater suit as mentioned would work well.  i was out last weekend in -21C/-5F (no wind chill included) and the floater suit works very well in those temps.  keeps me good and warm along with making the wife feel better especially when i'm out on early ice (which this year was Jan 12!).  i don't find it restrictive.  i wear the darn thing twice a week for what, 12 weeks per year.  yeah, it was worth it!

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2007, 08:25 PM »
I have a Nautilus one piece and am very happy with it.  The safety / peace of mind plus insulation is great.  If only I could keep my hands as warm....

Now, some of the suits are approved as PFDs in Canada...it is primarily about colour as to whether or not they are approved.  Mine is approved and, while bulky, I've used it early and late season in the boat...toasty warm. 

As with everything, there are advantages and disadvantages to everything...if something were perfect, everyone would get it.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2007, 08:42 PM »
I just ordered a Bk/Or Mustang 2175 float suit. I asked the operator about the Coast Guard regs and he said this is US Coast Guard approved. I think this suit in this color is also Canadian approved. Anybody know for sure?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2007, 03:23 AM »
I believe it is also Canadian approved.

I forgot to mention that I get a lot of use out of my suit in the eartly spring and late fall boatfishing. I'd guess that there's a better chance of falling in open water that's 35 deg. than going through 6" of ice.

Either way, I love my "pumpkin suit"

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:30 AM »
I just ordered a Bk/Or Mustang 2175 float suit. I asked the operator about the Coast Guard regs and he said this is US Coast Guard approved. I think this suit in this color is also Canadian approved. Anybody know for sure?

Yes,it should be USCG approved. Black and orange should work out well.The all orange suits tend to get "dirty" more quickly. I believe that you will be pleased with it's performance. ;)

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:11 AM »
I hear allot about these suits being warm, but what kind of wheather are we talking about and what kind of under garments are we wearing and are they bulky ?  How do they compare to a good quality Columbia bibs and coat made for cold wheather?
I am out in a lot of close to if not below 0 wheather, right now I'm going ice fishing in about 1hr and its 6deg.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline Flagtailhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2007, 01:13 PM »
I hear allot about these suits being warm, but what kind of wheather are we talking about and what kind of under garments are we wearing and are they bulky ?  How do they compare to a good quality Columbia bibs and coat made for cold wheather?
I am out in a lot of close to if not below 0 wheather, right now I'm going ice fishing in about 1hr and its 6deg.
Thriller gave you a review of the Nautilus suit and he is from Manitoba, Canada.  It gets real cold and windy up here.  I am also from here and I have a Nautilus floater coat, 3/4 length.  It is as warm as most winter coats we use here, and would compare to your Columbia gear.  I were a layer of thermal underwear and a fleece sweater under the coat.  They are warm...period. 
I don't understand why anyone, especially people in areas with warmer temps than us, would not invest in one of these suits or coats. We are approaching two feet of ice on some of our lakes and you will still see me wearing my floater coat.  The only way to approach ice in my opinion, is that it is never 100% safe.  If your going to spend the same amount of money anyway...why aren't you buying something that floats?  Something that can save your life.  You owe your family some peace of mind.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2007, 02:42 PM »
anybody know where I can try on the mustang ice rider snowmobile suits, any dealers with 150 miles...live n.w.Illinois...I tried on the sterns flotation jacket, sizes seem too run on the small side...thank you

Offline Ratso

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2007, 04:29 PM »
I just ordered a floatation suit off of ebay that is very practical, warm and fairly inexpensive.  It is made by Sundridge in the UK and a two piece suit can be bought and shipped to your door in the US for around $160.00.  I haven't tried any other types of flotaion suits out, but this suit gets high ratings, is good quality and is very reasonably priced.  Just type in " flotation suits" in ebay and check them out, or do a search on "sundridge" on the internet.

I'm usually all for buying American made, but what really is anymore?  Its not so bad as I am buying from our friends across the "pond".

Chris

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2007, 04:45 PM »
I have the Stearns I580 Worksuit(hypothermia/float suit).I have fished in below zero temps with just a sweatshirt and jeans on underneath and do not get cold.Suit blocks the wind extremely well.Hands and face will get cold but suit does not cover those parts.Suit is not too bulky like some of the other ice fishing wear out there.Suit may be a little stiff when new but wears nicely.Nothing all that bad.The only downfall that I have with mine is that the suit does not breathe.You will perspire if you are very mobile(gets too hot)I just unzip and let the heat out.I use a flip-over style shanty and rarely use my "buddy heater" because the suit is plenty warm enough.The way I look at it is that I'd rather be too hot than cold on the ice.I know many people who have the suits and nobody I know has been dissatisfied.

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2007, 04:51 PM »

As with everything, there are advantages and disadvantages to everything...if something were perfect, everyone would get it.

[/quote]I think you hit the nail on the head Thiller .They both have there pros and cons.

Offline Coastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2007, 06:08 PM »
Flotation suit is the way to go I use them a lot. If your just concerned with using them on the ice don't worry about the Coast Guard approval, but if you use it on a boat you better have something approved at least next to you. JMO

Coastie!!!
Coast Guard

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2007, 09:17 AM »
ratso..bladebait..all. .....thank you for the info.... ;)

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2007, 10:37 AM »

I think you hit the nail on the head Thiller .They both have there pros and cons.
Apparently you dont own a float suit???I really would like to know what the cons are of a float suit???If someone is going to spend the money on an ice armour suit, They should just buy a float suit. :tipup:

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2007, 11:29 AM »
Just to clear the air with all the suit's.This is the way I understand it.Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Ice Armor Suit-  designed by Genz/Clam Corp - 2 piece suit that does not float.

2. Arctic Armor Suit- designed by I.D.I. technologies - 2 piece suit that does float but may not be USCG approved.This is a type of float suit.

3. Hypothermia Suit/Float Suit- designed by Stearns,Mustang Survival,etc.... One piece suits that do float and are USCG approved.

It is easy to get confused because of all the similar words used regarding the subject.Hope this helps with making your choice. ;D

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2007, 02:29 PM »
Just to clear the air with all the suit's.This is the way I understand it.Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Ice Armor Suit-  designed by Genz/Clam Corp - 2 piece suit that does not float.

2. Arctic Armor Suit- designed by I.D.I. technologies - 2 piece suit that does float but may not be USCG approved.This is a type of float suit.

3. Hypothermia Suit/Float Suit- designed by Stearns,Mustang Survival,etc.... One piece suits that do float and are USCG approved.

It is easy to get confused because of all the similar words used regarding the subject.Hope this helps with making your choice. ;D
thank you that will help out alot  :)

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2007, 02:44 PM »
If it matters to you the Mustang looks to be US and Canadian Coast Guard approved.

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2007, 10:15 AM »
Guys,
  Check this suit out.  Its on the expensive side but will save your life. I've been in the Coast Guard for 12 years now and I've tried on about every type of survival suit known to man.  If I can give any advice you want to get something with neoprene neck and wrist seals, built in floatation, and an inner shell that is insulated. There are many more types of suits out there but you wont find one better than a mustang.  I hope this link helps.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/product.php?id=279

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2007, 10:20 AM »
This is what I use on the job.  You can swim, drink an beer and smoke a cigar in this baby for 6hrs before you need to get out of water that is 32 degrees.  You are looking at some serious cash but is it worth your life? It is worth any ammount to me. I use mine from work to Ice Fish  :whistle: but the command knows that if I do I will come home from any trip.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/product.php?id=306

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2007, 11:39 AM »
Wow that is an awsome suit!!!! i also bought the sundrige suit from ebay like someone else bought it doesnt compare to that mustang suit that maybe someday i will own,but the sundrige suit is by far better than an ice armour suit that doesnt float and cheaper. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.