Author Topic: arctic armor  (Read 7006 times)

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
arctic armor
« on: Jan 18, 2007, 06:42 PM »
anyone have the suit or jacket?  Going to order one tonight.  Doesnt have the liner like the ice armor extreme, just wondering how warm the parka is.  Allready have the ice armor bibs.

thanks
E

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: arctic armor
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2007, 06:48 PM »
anyone have the suit or jacket?  Going to order one tonight.  Doesnt have the liner like the ice armor extreme, just wondering how warm the parka is.  Allready have the ice armor bibs.

thanks
E

My dad bought the suit last season but as far as I know he hasn't used it yet. I personally don't have either the coat or bibs but I think the premise is very solid. I just wish it was a little cheaper...

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2007, 10:39 PM »
I just wish it was a little cheaper...

I hear that.  I've been eyeing the Ice Armor suits for a while with the same conclusion.

Strikemaster makes a specialized ice fishing suit for $180 total (parka plus bibs).  That would save $120-$170 off of the CLAM gear, but I don't know if it's as good.  The CLAM suits certainly have a great reputation.  As long as the Strikemaster's tough and waterproof though, I guess you could just do multiple layers of fleece underneath with a polypro base layer.  That oughta keep you pretty warm and dry no matter what the conditions.

You can find the Strikemaster gear at Reed's:
http://www.reedssports.com/main.taf?cat=1912

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2007, 10:40 PM »
I know its off your topic but honestly i'd buy a float suit cost the same or cheaper just as warm and may save your life someday!!! just my opinion :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2007, 12:35 AM »
I second that! The float suit is the ticket! Forget the Artic Armor.
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2007, 06:57 AM »
The artic Armour suit does not have the same interior as the Ice Armour extreme. It looks and feels the same as the origianl Ice Armour suit, but I dont know how it holds up in on the ice.

I would not order one without putting it on, these suits size funny, and you want to be able to move in them easily.

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2007, 10:41 PM »
I just bought a nice winter jacket at the mall this past weekend. It is a thick waterproof well insulated jacket with lots of pockets/ reflective strips on front and back. Fleece lined front back and hood. Clearence for $7.00. Doesn't have the Clam, Or ice armor name but is nice and warm/dry.

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2007, 06:02 AM »
I second that! The float suit is the ticket! Forget the Artic Armor.
The Arctic Armor is a float suit

Offline Walleyemaniac

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2007, 07:45 AM »
  The arctic armour is a suit that floats if you go in. The ice armour is like any other suit warm but no flotation. Here's where I have seen it. http://walleyedan.com look in his store. There are two testimonials at the bottom of the page about two guys going through the ice at mille lacs, minn.  Dan charges 299.00 for them.  Craig

Offline dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2007, 04:38 PM »
 I bought mine at fish307 . It seems to be plenty warm and water repellent. I can not vouche for durability over several years of on ice use,but I feel it was money well spent. I hope that I never need to check out its Floating Capabilities ;)2
If Fishin were easy they would call it Catchin

Offline bhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2007, 07:49 PM »
Bought one today. Should be here early (mailed the money) next week. I like the fact that I will float if I go through and it is suppose to be warm to. I'll let you know.

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2007, 09:54 PM »
Bought one today. Should be here early (mailed the money) next week. I like the fact that I will float if I go through and it is suppose to be warm to. I'll let you know.
I tested my suit this am doing snow removal and it is indeed warm, I have a friend that wears his below 0 and all he needs under it is a set of long johns. its good stuff, and will save your life if you go in. ;D

Offline bhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:20 AM »
I have heard all good and nothing bad so I didn't think I could go wrong. Thanks for the report. ;D

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2007, 10:12 AM »
bhorn... I just order arctic armor jacket..I too have only heard good reports on arctic armor..does any body know if just the jacket will keep you afloat...I know it wont float you horz.,but I hope it will verticle.... ;)

RandyH

« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2007, 04:34 PM »
I can not see anywhere on the Clam website that touts the Ice Armor line as floatation suits. I think if floatation is the number one item of concern, better to stick with something like Mustang that has been certified (I believe) by the USCG.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2007, 05:22 PM »
randy h....arctic armor is made by I.D.I. innovative designs inc.
ice armor is made by clam....thanks for the reply

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2007, 08:27 PM »
Thinking about buying Arctic Armor float suit by I.D.I.
Can anybody tell me how the sizes run ?

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2007, 08:53 PM »
Thinking about buying Arctic Armor float suit by I.D.I.
Can anybody tell me how the sizes run ?

I talked with a rep from the company the other week. He said the suits are generously cut - meaning there's gonna be room to spare. He said he's 5'10", 195 pounds, and is between a medium and a large.  I'm 6', 195 pounds and wear size 34 jeans. I'm gonna try a Large jacket and a medium bib. By the way, they're now available in the iceshanty proshop. There is a sizing chart link there too, but those sizes are for the items when they're stretched out.
Ken                                          

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2007, 10:46 PM »
I have the Artic Armor suit, I was able to mix and match, as some of us seniors are a bit bigger around the middle. I bought the XL parka and the 2 XL bibs. I think the bibs run a little small. ;)

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:33 PM »
Thank's for info.

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.