Author Topic: Gerbings Heated Socks  (Read 5303 times)

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Gerbings Heated Socks
« on: Oct 24, 2005, 05:46 PM »
Hey all,

Someone a few weeks back posted a link to Gerbing's heated clothing (I apologize I don't remember who!!).  I was wondering if any of IS's members have had any experience with their heated socks?

They have two kinds I'm looking at, Heated Socks and Comfort Socks.  The only difference is the comfort ones do not have the heating wires in the bottom of the feet area, so as to provide better comfort for those who are up walking a lot on them.

I emailed the company several days ago asking about them and they haven't emailed me back, so I figured I'd post here next  ;D.  I'm just wondering how 'uncomfortable' they might be (the regular ones w/ the wires in the bottom) if a guy is up walking around 2-3hrs out of a 5-8hr fishing day?!?!?  I'd like to have the full set of wires (bottoms of the feet are always the hardest to keep warm) - but I don't want to have hot and uncomfortable wires prodding my feet!!! LOL

Thanks guys!!!

-WF.

BTW - we're looking at mid 50's-60's this week in eastern SD  :(  I WISH it would get cold soon!!!  I NEED ICE!!!!

Offline Gerbings Heat

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Feel the Warmth
Re: Gerbings Heated Socks
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2005, 05:29 AM »
WF,
Thanks for the note!

I you'll be using these on the ice mostly I would suggest the comfort socks as they don't have any wires on the bottom but keep your feet very warm from the toes to the calf. Make sure and look at our portable batteries and belt for total mobility.
You'll get roughly 4+ hours (on high) using the NiMh 4.0 system.

Stay warm and tight lines!

Dan @ Gerbing's
Gerbing's Outdoors

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2005, 11:37 AM »
Hey thanks for the reply Dan - what you said is EXACTLY what I was looking for so it's much appreciated!  I'll be putting in an order for sure sometime in the next month when I get a little extra cash together!   Now I just can't wait to have my feet stay totally warm this season without having to use the little shaker-heat packs!!!

Thanks again,
WF.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2005, 07:47 AM »
YIKES!  I did forget to post the link, sorry bout that Mac!!!!

-WF.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2005, 08:50 AM »
I think the best item in there is the heated hand warmer. I find the mitts to bulky and you have to carry them around. But with a waist strapped hand warmer you can be working on your holes and just pop your hands in when they get could, no searching for your damn gloves.....not to mention you feel like an NFL Quarterback

http://www.gerbing.com/divfish/clothing/hw.html

man Bill Dance is looking old on that site

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2005, 08:18 PM »
Mac, we should put our heads togther more often...Lets see if Gerbings will name the combo pack after us..

Offline Gerbings Heat

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Feel the Warmth
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2005, 09:20 AM »
Guys,

We do offer a splitter that will run the handwarmer and socks on (1) NmH battery but you'll only get 2+ hours of full output from one battery.

If you can imagine (10) AA batteries, roughly 1 lb., in series, along with a battery belt that totally displaces the weight, you'll gladly take along two power sources.

When I stand hunt or ice fish I always take along (2). My feet and my hands are the first prone to miserable feelings.

With the NiMH 4.0ah Battery 1.2 lbs, 6.5" x 2.5" x 0.5" you can expect 6-7 hours of 125 degree warmth with the handwarmer.
Same battery with socks (non temp controlled), you can expect 4 hours of serious heat.

I have optima batteries (deep cycle) in all of my tree stands with solar units, and when I hardwater I usually take a sled or carrying device to haul gear.
My Yamaha ATV keeps me warm by use of the liner package I wear under my ice gear, but when I need total mobility checking holes I take the portable units out and get all I need for 8+ hours.

If any of you have questions, feel free to e-mail me directly to discuss, or call me.
[email protected]
717-993-2341
Gerbing's Outdoors
www.gerbing.com

Thanks fellas and tight lines.
Gerbing's Outdoors

Luke Ice Walker

« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2005, 01:16 PM »
Hey guys, what about the handwarmer as a great place to keep the bait from freezing?  Can't wait to try mine out.
Later,
LIW

Offline Gerbings Heat

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Feel the Warmth
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2006, 04:25 PM »
Hey guys, what about the handwarmer as a great place to keep the bait from freezing?  Can't wait to try mine out.
Later,
LIW

Mac,
The handwarmer and socks both run off separate battery packs that weigh less than 1/2 lb and are included with the muff.
Temperature controllers for both is an idea though. Our dual temperature controller allows you to moderate the heat output from two separate items and could also be used in a sock/muff configuration.
I'll have to think of how ergonomic this is but if the temp control is mounted on your belt, you could easily run one line to the muff and another (via) 3 way splitter to the socks.
Personally...I hate wearing gloves when I fish. I end up taking them off constantly and dropping them in the water or holding them under my arm.
Hamdwarmer is a definite help in this case.

Dan
Gerbing's Outdoors

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.