Author Topic: Snow shoes  (Read 934 times)

Offline Vinny1892

• IceShanty Rookie
Snow shoes
« on: Aug 28, 2019, 07:57 PM »
Hi im wondering how many of you guys and gals that still walk out use snowshoes out on the lakes? Contemplating on getting a set or praying the lake (oneida lake that is) will be bare more or less this winter lol. 

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Snow shoes
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2019, 03:23 PM »
I have a pair, and I would use them if the snow got more than 6" or so.  But we haven't had that the last few years here in PA.   :-\
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Vinny1892

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2019, 04:59 PM »
Noted i might pass on a set this year but i also dont want to screw my self over either lol

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Also, if there is enough snow that you need snow shoes, then you better have a smitty sled or be using a snowmobile/truck to get out there.  That much snow would be real tough to drag in without a smitty sled.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2019, 01:45 PM »
When I first started ice fishing I brought them with me anytime we had snow on the ground at all. I never used them for years, then I smartened up and left them at home.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2019, 07:12 AM »
I bought a pair maybe 4? years ago. Only used them a few times, but when  you need them they are worth their weight in gold!  ;)  I actually bought them after a big snowstorm that pushed the ice down and flooded the lake. The 18" of snow turned to 12" of slush with a 2" crust of ice on top. You would take 1 or 2 steps, then break thru the crust and sink up to your knee in the slush. It was a real PITA to walk!  ::)   But with snowshoes, it dispersed the weight and would keep you on top. Have used them a time or 2 in deep snow, but mainly have them for the deep slush.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2019, 07:29 AM »
My wife bought them for me for Christmas about 6 years ago. I tried them out in the yard and haven't used them since. If you really want to get a pair, buy used because many people I found are just like me they get them and hardly ever use them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.