Author Topic: Waterproofing a pop-up shack  (Read 3885 times)

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Waterproofing a pop-up shack
« on: Aug 27, 2019, 03:12 PM »
I'm considering putting my Eskimo 949i to work as a tent when I go camping on my own. Did an overnight ice trip earlier this year and it has plenty of room for just me and my gear.

I'm not worried about it being warm enough, but I'm a little concerned about rain. I'm considering putting some spray-on waterproofing on the exterior to help shed some rain/dew. Any reason I shouldn't? The only thing I can think of is maybe it will be less breathable and there will be more condensation inside, especially when running a propane heater.

Thoughts?

Offline IceSavage

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Waterproofing a pop-up shack
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2019, 05:47 PM »
I don’t think you’ll have condensation if it’s insulated leave the vents open and maybe a window. Spray on waterproofing will probably make it not breathable. I would use a waterproof sealer on just the seams. I’ve done it on my non insulated hub, cut down on water dripping in warm temps while it’s snowing with a heater going. I would encoruge getting a carbon monoxide detector if you’ll be sleeping in your shack.
ICE FISHING..........  ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE.
CO Native. C&R Esox Lucius

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2019, 06:39 PM »
I've got a 949i and used it last year with a Mr. Buddy in -26F or better for 3 weekends. Little to no condensation and was surprisingly warm to the point where I was shedding my parka and thinking about more if only I didn't have to go outside.

As to waterproofing: I'd look to a silicone based product that will still allow the fabric to breathe. There's some newer stuff on the market that looks crazy dry but can't say how it performs.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2019, 07:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure this tent is the same as the 949:

https://www.gazelletents.com/Product/gazelle-camping-hub-tent-7177

It says it features a removable rain fly, maybe they'd let you buy just the rain fly?

Same parent company as Eskimo, they should offer a kit to convert the ice popups into camping tents, the floor and rainfly they already have, would just need to fab up some mesh replacement windows, package it into a kit.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2019, 09:12 PM »
I like the way you think buddy! A conversion kit would be the cat's meow, but they probably want you to buy both the tent and the ice shack.

I did have a CO detector in the 949i when I overnighted on the ice with the heater going last winter. Also kept a vent open. No problem with condensation, though I dont know if that would change if I waterproof it. Not sure it's worth it since I will definitely be using it more as an ice shack than a tent, and in the off chance it's going to rain it would be easier to just tarp it.

I know they make a product that you can spray on clothing that makes them shed water and other liquids, but I bet it's too expensive to treat the whole shack. Maybe just the skirt so it doesn't freeze in.

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2019, 10:09 PM »
$.99 4x6 tarp from Ollie's. stake it down so its spread out. easier and less hassle than messing with water proofing

Offline docwebb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2019, 04:37 AM »
I’ve used Campdry for years on all kinds of fabrics with 100% success. It’s silicon based and not too expensive.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2019, 06:08 AM »
I’ve used Campdry for years on all kinds of fabrics with 100% success. It’s silicon based and not too expensive.

X 2..     ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2019, 06:33 AM »
@GBguy - If you visit that link and look just under the item description there is a button labelled "Accessories". Click it and you can but all those items separately and for what I consider pretty reasonable too.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2019, 09:05 AM »
@GBguy - If you visit that link and look just under the item description there is a button labelled "Accessories". Click it and you can but all those items separately and for what I consider pretty reasonable too.

https://www.gazelletents.com/Parts/LoadOldStructure/2337

I see they have a floor ..wonder how well that would work on ice ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2019, 09:16 AM »
Im needing to waterproof the seams and top of my shappell widehouse 6500.after 4 years when i run the heater with snow on top or a wet heavy snow it leaks so bad inside,like its raining.campdry the best stuff to put on top?id do the tarp rainfly thing but that takes time to tie off and a tarp flapping in the wind sound drives me nuts.lol

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2019, 09:33 AM »
That Gazelle T4 is similar, but has some different features that might make some of the parts not compatible with the Eskimo shacks. The rain fly wouldn't work because the top corners of the Eskimo don't have the grommets for the poles, and it looks like the floor connects to the inside of the shack somehow, and I dont think the eskimos have the connectors. The windows look slightly different, too.

I may try and whip up some screen windows with some leftover fiberglass screen and velcro strips before I take it out next weekend.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2019, 12:37 PM »
I'm considering putting my Eskimo 949i to work as a tent when I go camping on my own. Did an overnight ice trip earlier this year and it has plenty of room for just me and my gear.

Not really on your topic, but it would be great to get your input, from your ice overnight trips, on this other thread:  https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325954.0

Tight lines!
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 04, 2019, 07:23 AM »
I was SUPER impressed with how well Starbrite did on my 16 year old boat cover and they claim it is breathable. Incredible stuff.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.