Author Topic: In-line reels  (Read 3396 times)

Offline IceSavage

• IceShanty Rookie
In-line reels
« on: Aug 20, 2019, 10:01 PM »
I'm looking into getting a in-line reel. Do any of the in-line reels make drag noise? I'm a little confused about the clicker switch, if its on it makes a clicking noise when you reel in and when line is taken out? Wouldn't seem to benefit for drag noise working both ways?  I also noticed most sites that sell them don't show the line capacity? I mostly use 6lb fluoro not sure if most of the in line reels are designed for 2 and 4lb?
ICE FISHING..........  ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE.
CO Native. C&R Esox Lucius

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: In-line reels
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2019, 12:41 PM »
I have the Black Betty 6061 and it does have a line clicker.  Like a bait caster clicker, it works in both directions.  With 2, 4, or even 6 lb line there is lots of room left with 150 yd.  I don’t think you want to have an in-line reel full.
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2019, 03:09 PM »
Fixed it! ;D

I don’t think you want to have an in-line reel .
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2019, 06:59 PM »

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2019, 07:15 PM »
All kidding aside,  while I personally do not care for the clicker feature on the 6061 by 13 or the Eagle Claw inlines, does anybody know the if the "trigger" inlines that were available last year have that clicker feature?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2019, 01:35 AM »
I'm looking into getting a in-line reel. Do any of the in-line reels make drag noise? I'm a little confused about the clicker switch, if its on it makes a clicking noise when you reel in and when line is taken out? Wouldn't seem to benefit for drag noise working both ways?  I also noticed most sites that sell them don't show the line capacity? I mostly use 6lb fluoro not sure if most of the in line reels are designed for 2 and 4lb?

I've got a couple inlines they are the expensive ones.....they work fine. Cheap inlines are really hit and miss on quality. They are nothing special. The only area I found that they really make a difference is in panfishing in deep water with small tungsten jigs. They help the jig get down faster, and have less line twist so the jig doesn't spin. A place like Winnibigosh perch fishing in 30ft+  they would shine. Other then that.....not really needed. In 15ft or less a simple fly reel, or the old schooly reels can't be beat for panfish.

Overall, The drags are average at best on the Inlines. Tear drop drag was decent, but what a POS otherwise. I have the inline with the trigger......didn't care for it. Went to set the hook on a fish only to bump the trigger.....never used it again.

Offline IceSavage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2019, 02:37 AM »
Appreciate the solid info. Seems like there's a lot of hipe about them, but it could be that I'm getting ad targeted with pop ups from google searches for inlines making me think they're popular idk. I've always fished with spinning reels. Sounds like it definitely would be a bit of a learning curve with the clicker or one with a trigger. I mostly fish for trout and pike on tip ups so not sure if I could benefit from one? Probably should invest in some better quality spinning reels as the ones I have aren't so great. Thanks again
ICE FISHING..........  ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE.
CO Native. C&R Esox Lucius

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2019, 05:57 AM »

Our panfishing is shallow so schooleys type rods are all thats really needed  , I use my 6061s for perch , eyes , and lakers they perform well and I turn the clickers off ,  I also use spinning reels ,
  Like everything else it’s all to your personal preference ,

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2019, 07:02 AM »
 I have had or still have several brands of inline reels the Black Betty being the best, it's less expensive brother 13 Decent is the only one I will buy from now on. They are the only ones that I have that the bait clicker works, the are just noise. Last winter i landed pike up to 34" on the 13 Decent with 4# test the drag worked good.

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2019, 12:27 PM »
I just saw this form Sportsmen Direct.  Looks like the 6061 but a 3rd of the price.  Not sure how it performs.

https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/reels/hwi-tight-line-pro-2-left-hand-retrieve/
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2019, 07:01 AM »
 I hope it is better than the original Tight Pro. It my least favorite of my inlines.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2019, 01:39 PM »
are you more interested in a bait clicker or inline? you can get an okuma bait feeder and not have to deal with the inline shortcomings

Catchin' Fish

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 25, 2019, 11:42 AM »
i jumped on the hype train when james holst busted out the okuma fly reel.  i've basically went through them all and now all you will see on my rods are spinning reels.  lure spin is an over exaggerated problem, you are constantly peeling off line by hand (even the freefall), still slow to the bottom, and their drags comparatively are not good. 

I still keep one because why not but its only for shallow water. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Aug 25, 2019, 12:02 PM »
Ive tried alot of inlines too.they dont free spool micro jigs very good,feel off balanced,drag all or nothing.but i finally found a use for them where the work pretty good.fishing deep water smelt with a hali or heavy spoon on the bottom of the smelt rig.inlines drop fast and free spools good with heavy presentation.other than that i cant stand them.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2019, 11:15 AM »
Seems like people are finally figuring out that they are way over hyped......im way more excited about the 500 series Shimano reels coming back to life...

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Aug 27, 2019, 03:10 PM »
I happen to be a fan of the inlines.  I have with the trigger and without.  If you go inline, don't try to fill it the whole way up.  You don't use that much line anyhow.  I don't use the clicker setting, so I can't speak much to that.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Aug 27, 2019, 04:26 PM »
I have tried several and agree that a lot are junk, especially the drags and drop functions of some of them.  I do use them in panfish tournaments but stick to the Clam Spooler Elite which is hand pull out, has a better than average drag and is really simple if there is an issue.  I do have a freefall ghost, which is fun to use but it is not good in the cold at all, it will freeze up, line freezes and the fall speed needs constant tinkering unless you're in a shack.

As for spinning reels I am a bit biased but I love the Jason Mitchell reel, if for the collapsible handle only! It has a very good drag, wide arbor and hasn't failed me yet!

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Aug 28, 2019, 06:35 AM »
I don't have any trouble dropping small jigs on Free Fall with the 13 descent. You just have to adjust the free spool tension clear down. Fishing with friends that use spinning reels I'm getting down 20 foot faster than they are. That being said if you prefer a spinning reel go with it stick with what you are confident in. This year I'm going to be a schmuck and make a modern version The Green Hornet power noodle.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #18 on: Aug 28, 2019, 10:29 PM »
Inlines spools probably exist about as far back as the peg stick rod...Geared inline spool reels are just a retool...All these perceived advantages and disadvantages were always there from the beginning of ice fishing.  One has to learn how to best effectively use their tools.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Aug 29, 2019, 05:23 AM »
Reels, lures,and all gear
Always something new will come out that is the next best thing. It's called marketing and sales. They get people to change up by the year due to the hype they create, just like putting an inline in james Horst hands and paying him to tell us how good it is lol. You can't beat a good ol spinning reel.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #20 on: Aug 30, 2019, 05:11 PM »
I use both, don’t use the clicker. What I am fishing for dictates the setup.
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.