Author Topic: trying to find crappies.  (Read 2045 times)

Offline adewilde

• IceShanty Rookie
trying to find crappies.
« on: Jan 06, 2008, 07:50 PM »
I live in norther Wisconsin and i fish a lake for pike using tip ups.  the lake recieves minimal pressure usually only me and who i fish with. the lake has monster crappies in it but nobody knows how to catch them in the winter.  It is a clear lake being able to see about 15' down, little weed growth limited to short and right at the bottom of the lake. it also drops off quick with the deepest hole being over 100'. we have only found a few small bluegils and perch. but any ideas on where to look for the crappies or when.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: trying to find crappies.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2008, 08:02 PM »
Adewilde, Since you can't go to the crappies why don't you have them come to you? Can you add some type of fish structure that will attract the crappie? (cribs, trees, etc) You would have to check to see if it's legal. It wouldn't help you this year but certainly would for next. Only you and your buddy would no where they are. They can be very productive particularly a lake that's void of significant structure.   Lou

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2008, 08:03 PM »
try after dark  ::)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Brooks

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2008, 08:13 PM »
fish just as it is getting light in the morning and again as  it gets dark at night. use the smallest minnows you can find.or a lure that imitates a minnow - crappie are quick to spit out a bait if they feel resistance . I like a very flexible rod, light line,and a spring bobber - Brooks

Offline quad700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2008, 09:29 PM »
I finally caught on to the crappies in one lake here in PA. One light source on the ice ,three to four hours later the crappies start feeding up off of bottom. If you have a vexilar you see them come alive .Crappies are funny ,one lake you have to use maggots and the next you have to minnows. Like others said they will spit the hook fast. Also crappies feed upward so if you see your pole move at all set the hook .Good luck
Still waiting for that huge crappie to land in my frying pan.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2008, 09:41 PM »
Tough to say, but there are a few places to look. Do you have any weedy points that push out into deeper water? Do you have any transition areas, these can be dynamite! Rocks and gravel to sticky mud is the best. Don't forget about flooded brush, even if it is under 4'. Move allot during the day and select your best chance. Sometimes finding a group that is pinned down and you can only get a few during the day can become a ravenous school of predators at dark. Try to get your drilling done before the bite starts in the evening, the noise will screw you up. I have completely abandoned minnows, I use plastics now. Think little and fish light and you can catch fish all day too. Trust your feel and your flasher!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.