Author Topic: Line Size?  (Read 3006 times)

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Line Size?
« on: Dec 09, 2006, 01:04 PM »
Crappie - I'll admit I rarely target them when fishing open water and usually catch them by accident. They are fun though and I always appreciate any fish I catch (and release).

I know of some ponds that I will be targeting them in this year with my son. I find them less in the clearer waters I fish and more of the stained / tannic waters. Not sure if this is because it is usually on heavier line (8 - 10 pound) or lure selection is more particular in clear water. I would like to figure them out better and I will be changing both in efforts to find them more this year through the ice.

My question is, how lite of line should I go down to? Is 2 lb too small? Is 6 lb too big? I know this is subjective but looking for your experience with either.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Line Size?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2006, 01:27 PM »
2lb or 3lb would be best if your a little paranoid about breaking them off then stick with 3lb :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

PWR BAIT

« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2006, 03:04 PM »
I use 4lb fireline with 3lb gamma fluorocarbon as leader strikes are more noticeable if leader breaks go to 4lb leader.

Offline Crappiekiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2006, 01:43 PM »
Just keep in mind Brian that no matter what pound test you use the almighty crappie is notorious for cutting lines.  They have a soft mouth but razor sharp gills.  I personally use anywhere from 2#-4# Trilene XL.  It's a monofiliment line that has brought in several 14" slabs for me over the years.  Plus I don't have to switch over once the gilly's quit bitting!  Good Luck!!!!!!!!
Crappiekiller

Offline oldken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2006, 06:54 PM »
i use 4# suffix the crappie line from bass pro both in yellow. my eyes are not the best and i can see it better. also i use a 4# leader of vanish line old ken

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2006, 05:35 AM »
2lb or 3lb would be best if your a little paranoid about breaking them off then stick with 3lb :)
I agree with the king. Maybe you should start with the 3lb and let your results and style dictate going down to 2lb or up to 4lb. I like 3lb in cover and 2lb in open water, although 3lb can be iffy in cover. Columbus took a chance so just go for it. Remember they have soft mouths and use a very sharp hook. Good luck BrianF
ID

camo_fish

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2006, 05:50 AM »
Remember they have soft mouths and use a very sharp hook.
Ya mean No Jack'n there Jaw.  ;D Yea, I was watching a guy one day think he was bass fishing pig-n-jig style of setting the hook. It was a funny sight.  :roflmao:
I go with 4#, I'm still a rookie.  8)

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2006, 05:58 AM »
I go with 4#, I'm still a rookie.  8)
Yeahhhh, but they still fear you! :flex:

Offline Crappiekiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2006, 02:53 PM »
I completely agree with Camo the hook has to be sharp!  A sharp hook means a softer hook set.  Because we sure don't want a bunch of lipless crappies out there swimming around! Good luck!
Crappiekiller

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2006, 03:03 PM »
4# cajun red ice...cant go wrong...pulled a couple small pike up last year with it...

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2006, 04:01 PM »
4# cajun red ice...cant go wrong...pulled a couple small pike up last year with it...
Go with the 4# strong enough for most big fish light enough for most pan fish. Its a good place to start and work up or down from there.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2006, 09:54 PM »
vanish 2#  remember floro is tougher than mono for abrasion. I sight fish ginclear and about 2' down so floro is a must. Haven't tested but 2# floro seems like 4 mono to me
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2006, 03:03 AM »
i've really fallen in love w/ the 3 & 4lb trilene micro ice.  really flexible, gives great action to small jigs and handles nice fish very well, pulled in a nice little 12lb pike last year with it, couldn't of done it w/o my symetre!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.