Author Topic: Rigging tip-downs for Crappie?  (Read 8065 times)

Offline Bosco1

• IceShanty Rookie
Rigging tip-downs for Crappie?
« on: Jan 02, 2010, 05:25 PM »
I bought these very cool tip-downs that are spooled and allow for the fish to take out plenty of line with an absolute minimal resistance. I've got them set up for the smaller walleye in my home water which generally run 15"-22" and this set up has been working well for the larger perch as well. I have them spooled with 4lb Fireline Micro Ice Crystal with 6lb Seaguar Fluorocarbon leaders. I'm using red #10 trebles with as small a split shot as I can find. I've been running emeralds (or niagras) under them. I've iced a whole bunch of nice perch and a couple nice walleyes so far. However, these were advertised as being outstanding for Crappie as well (with no specifics as to how to rig them for that specie). I've never specifically targeted Crappie before but I'm about to next weekend. At night with lanterns. So my question is, how might some of you Crappie enthusiasts alter the way I've got these rigged? I'm thinking the only thing I'd change is the hook style and size. Maybe lose the treble and go to a single hook. Also, replace the emeralds with fathead minnows. Any thoughts? Thanks

Offline peterpike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "you got one pole and one life, use it"
Re: Rigging tip-downs for Crappie?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:34 AM »
the way we do it is find the suspended fish set your line to that depth we use #6 gold aberdien hooks(dont know how to spell it lol) with one split shot and fatheads. be ready for them because they seem to just bring the tip down down 3/4 the way down then let go

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:59 PM »
the way we do it is find the suspended fish set your line to that depth we use #6 gold aberdien hooks(dont know how to spell it lol) with one split shot and fatheads. be ready for them because they seem to just bring the tip down down 3/4 the way down then let go

Thats how I rig mine up and have very good luck.  As I read your post you said it lets them take line out?  How will it tip down if the line is going out?  Mine are locked at a certian depth once we find suspended fish.
;

Offline bobbyfish64

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a big one! Get me a beer.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2010, 08:17 PM »
I agree with every thing  Deebsey telling you! I run mine the same way you do except i tie on a 12# gold treble i have had no luck on crappies with red hooks.i ually fish about a foot to 16" of the bottom in 10' or less fow
Selective harvest today..trophy tomorrow !!

Offline MainelyCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2010, 03:45 PM »
All of this talk about tip downs is making me interested. I am going to have to do some research and see how we can make these work the best for us crappie fisherman.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:31 PM »
Another simple solution is a Mr. Jigger from Cabelas. They go on sale every year, usually before and after the season. If you run a really light action spinning rod with the bail set light they will usually pull the rod tip to the hole; sometimes they even hook themselves. It pays to have them adjusted ahead of time, so the balance is just so. I often use a fairly small horizontal jig hooked to a fat head. You could easily make these out of wood and a coat hanger.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:45 PM »
I set up my tipdowns with a backing of 20lb dacron with 4 or 6lb fluoro with a #12 baitholder with a tailhooked fathead.  I set up the balance on my home made tipdowns so that I have it sit level, so if they hit up it goes up and down when they hit and run, usually when the rod section hits the edge of the ice hole, it sets the hook...I'm browsing for a couple pics to post my setup

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.