Author Topic: Tip up set up  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Wavfire06

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip up set up
« on: Oct 30, 2016, 03:42 PM »
Ok so haven't run many tip ups but I will be running them for pike what's everyone's go to rig and bait trying to put a few pike on the ice this year couldn't get any last winter to bite so any help would be awesome
If u can read my coat u are to close

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tip up set up
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2016, 04:43 PM »
Depends on your local regs.  Live bait is always a great option but suckers, smelt or even hot dogs will work.  Run a search on quick strike rigs here in the shanty and you'll get a lot of great ideas.

Offline Wavfire06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2016, 08:16 PM »
In Iowa we can use live bait
If u can read my coat u are to close

Offline steeliebob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2016, 10:27 AM »
Some guys like to use big minnows or suckers. Don't rule out smaller minnows for big pike. Walleye minnows work well

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2016, 05:35 PM »
20# uncoated wire, #10 4x strong treble with a medium or large shiner. Basic and effective.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline drscholl14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2016, 12:27 AM »
I have a few different set ups that I keep snaps on and change them out depending on the fish I'm going after.  One is a quick strike rig using two VMC Sure Set trebles.  If those hooks are anywhere near the fish's mouth it's hooked.  The Sure Sets are also great for larger bait.  I also use a single Sure Set treble hook, and also a single circle hook.  All depends on what I'm going for.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2016, 01:06 AM »
I usually just wait till I catch a dink whatever and throw that on a steel leader with a little treble hook...

You are allowed to use small gills for pike but they count towards your limit..

<°)))>{

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2016, 01:15 AM »
Same here on the small what ever on the line are rules and regs allow it.. I put them on a quick stike rig with either 30 lb fluorocarbon  or 30 lb wire leads for around here its fine to use 30lbs test some places don't use less then 80 cause you get musky and huge pike like in canada.. lake of the woods etc.. I use size 8 trebles tie the one on and leave the other sliding on the leader.. so I can size it to the bait that was for live bait dead bait I use a dead bait rig .. I then tie the leader to a barell swivel that has a bead above and below a egg sinker.. the egg sinker is on the spool side of the swivel .. I double the line threw the  beads so they can be used for a stop.. one for the weight and one for the rubber band trip setup I use and developed.. any how search for the rubber band trick see if you can find it if not I will get pictures... so let me know if you can't find it the trick is all over this forum..

Here is a link to the rubber band trick and how it works some were around post #15 at this link..

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=327331.msg3454098#msg3454098

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2016, 07:08 PM »
Dead bait all season long.  I prefer the bait to be big.  When the WDNR clamped down on things with the VHS restrictions bigger smelt became hard to find.  Bait shops were not selling a ton of dead bait to begin with and when those regulations came into effect quality smelt became harder to find.  I used to pay three or four bucks for a soda flat packed with large smelt.  Now you pay more than that for three of them and I don't have the time to net my own.  As an alternative I began looking at other stuff to use and have been making regular trips to Asian grocery stores to buy bait.  Some of the stuff acquired through those places have worked better than smelt have.  Scads have been on par, mackerel have been quite a bit better than smelt but sand gobies have been far and away my best producer. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2016, 10:10 AM »
As an alternative I began looking at other stuff to use and have been making regular trips to Asian grocery stores to buy bait.  Some of the stuff acquired through those places have worked better than smelt have.  Scads have been on par, mackerel have been quite a bit better than smelt but sand gobies have been far and away my best producer.

Shhhhh! Everyone'll be doing it..... ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.