The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Sharpening auger  (Read 620 times)

Offline sanders

• IceShanty Rookie
Sharpening auger
« on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:56 PM »
What is the best way that you have found to sharpen your auger?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Sharpening auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:28 PM »
Here's the latest greatest lesson with photos to help lead you to successful sharpening of most common auger blades.      :thumbsup: ;)2

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=309016.0;topicseen

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2017, 12:38 AM »
I bought one of these and man does my Pro 4 cut good now! It really made a huge difference!

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2017, 10:30 AM »
Thanx for the link lots of great info. Not one to read in the bathroom though,my legs  are asleep!

Offline sanders

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2017, 01:10 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline ssanders

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2017, 07:40 PM »
should work

Offline Bodie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2017, 10:33 AM »
Good Morning Fellas,

The best way I have found to sharpen my blades is using my Lansky Knife Sharpening System. Of course the standard angles on the guide will not work on the auger blades. I opted to build a simple jig that allows you to grind at the correct angle. It basically consists of a piece of flat strap  1" wide and 5 3/4" long. I used aluminum but thin steel would work just fine as well. With the flat strap held against the angle guide on the Lansky I marked two holes. One at the 17 degree hole and the other at the 30 degree. Drill them out and install some small bolts and nuts. Next mount your auger blade in the Lansky. Using a stone with the guide rod installed match the angle of your blade and mark the flat strap where the end of the guide rod lines up. Drill it out and you will be good to go. That being said I had to wollow out the hole just a touch in order to get the exact angle  correct. It s a super simple set up and does a really good job for me . I cant seem to post my pictures to this thread, so if your interested in getting some pictures of the jig, send me a message or I can email them to you as well. [email protected]

Stay safe and tight lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.