The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: homemade portable ice house  (Read 15701 times)

Offline perchSlayer95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team montana fishing team
homemade portable ice house
« on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:23 PM »
i am interested if any of you have ever built an ice house that is easy to transport from place to place and is big enough for 2-3 people to use and fairly cheap to build.   any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

sittin here waitin on a flag drinkin beer and wastin propane

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: homemade portable ice house
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:31 PM »
Here's one link. Lots of other ideas under Ice Fishing Community chat.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=63301.0

Tinker

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:39 PM »
I actually seen one on G-town last time I was out, thought I was the only one left with a homemade.  In North Dakota the standard "portable" for years was three sheets of plywood hinged together with a tarp cover.  Two end walls hinged to the floor and blue poly tarp for two walls and roof, works well for 2 guys to load in a pickup.  I have a suitcase style that I can load myself in the truck but its a beast something like 130 lbs but set up is 6x8 inside so nice an roomy for me and two kids.  The floor is plywood, frame is old tent poles configuration is based on the Clam cabin style, and the walls and roof are a combination of canvas and poly tarp.  I had a wee little 3 plywood sheet style at one time that was 3x5 set up, easy to load in my dodge dakota but just big enough for me and 2 holes.  I would think something like that would work but I suggest you build a smitty sled to drag it, they are easy to build.  Only trick I remember for building them was to raise the one wall a couple inches so that when folded the hinges don't bind and it is flat, think I always just used a 2x4 on that end.

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2013, 03:10 PM »
I have a plywood and tarp homemade that I seem to have over engineered, because the 4wheeler just spins out trying to drag it out on the ice...I only used it a couple of times when I drove my truck on the ice.  I suggest buying an icehouse since they are made of lightweight materials, and given time anyone can save up 400 bucks in a relatively short time.
MT

Offline B bob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2013, 05:26 PM »
I have made many over the years and my latest one is the best by far.  I got a used 1500 gallon water tank.  You just cut a door and holes in the floor.  I transport it with a utility trailer and can easily load and unload by myself.  The other great thing is there is absolutely no wind noise!!!!  There is no maintenance or rotting wood to deal with.  If you are ever out on daily lake that is where I keep mine.  Trust me you will never make a better one.

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2013, 06:07 PM »
I have made many over the years and my latest one is the best by far.  I got a used 1500 gallon water tank.  You just cut a door and holes in the floor.  I transport it with a utility trailer and can easily load and unload by myself.  The other great thing is there is absolutely no wind noise!!!!  There is no maintenance or rotting wood to deal with.  If you are ever out on daily lake that is where I keep mine.  Trust me you will never make a better one.

I saw that one about a week ago. Do you pull it to shore or did the wind take it to shore for ya. It's a pretty darn good idea

Offline B bob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2013, 06:30 PM »
I took it to shore.  I heard about maybe warmer weather and just didn't want to risk it blowin in an open ice pocket or something.  It's so easy to push it thought it would be better to be safe than sorry.

Offline mrbeeman212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:23 PM »
I have a plywood and tarp homemade that I seem to have over engineered, because the 4wheeler just spins out trying to drag it out on the ice...I only used it a couple of times when I drove my truck on the ice.  I suggest buying an icehouse since they are made of lightweight materials, and given time anyone can save up 400 bucks in a relatively short time.
MT

I also made an over engineered heavy plywood and tarp ice house and had a hard time moving it so i found a pair of down hill skis for ten bucks, attached them to the bottom so they hinge out when i would set the house up it sits right on the ice (if that makes sense) but i could pull it around by hand like it wasn't there after i put them on

Offline ICEO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:41 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=212990.msg2110200#msg2110200
This is a link to a iceshanty I built last year. It is an up grade from the 3 sheets of plywood and tarp style.

Tinker

« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:52 PM »
Have to have a smitty sled if your pulling and not driving on.

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2013, 12:10 AM »
If you are like I was some 28yrs ago, nothing anyone could/would say would stop me from building a shanty......it was a sickness. You tend to learn from each one, and the subsequent one is just that much better. But I have now succumbed, and purchased a Frabill Predator a couple years ago. It is one heavy mother, and I'm still working on figuring out a method to make hand pulling it a lot easier. If I had to do it over, I'd really consider one of those sweet popups. They're light weight, easy to erect, you can fish anywhere inside them.....there's no sled, tub, or other structure "inside" taking up ice space. With the PU, you can just put your stuff in or on a sled you purchase or make. You want your setup to be easy to pack up and move.....for those days when the fish are not cooperating, but, if you like me, you enjoy having all your toys with ya for maximum enjoyment and dining pleasure!!!!!

Offline Rio252

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2013, 01:27 AM »
I have one for sale... Big....8 ft x 4 ft. It has 8 holes stands about 7ft.
NCarcr8

Offline perchSlayer95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2013, 11:49 AM »
how much rio? how heavy is it ?

Offline Gsoldit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2013, 05:57 PM »
I had the same idea some years back. Built a great house, portable... so I thought. My advice is too just go out and buy a pop-up. By the time you invest in materials to build one you could just buy one and save the hassle.

Offline mrbeeman212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2013, 09:16 PM »
i have one that i quit using when i got my fat fish its 4x8x7 three holes its taking up space willing to get rid of for a six pack and advise on fishing some places around here it is heavy but can be loaded in a pickup by one person easier with two great to take plans off if still wanting to build one

Offline Rod Icehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2013, 09:55 PM »
I agree that a pop-up ends up being so much more efficient.  All my buddys' homemade shacks weigh like 400 lbs and are just a bear to deal with.  Go Pack.

Offline Rio252

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2013, 02:04 AM »
make an offer....and yes it is heavy! :-\
NCarcr8

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:08 AM »
I have a brand new still in the box Frabill Guardian Ice Fishing Shelter sitting in my garage i would like to get rid of
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:49 AM »
I have a brand new still in the box Frabill Guardian Ice Fishing Shelter sitting in my garage i would like to get rid of

Thermal top or standard?

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline perchSlayer95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2013, 11:53 AM »
How much would you like for it bwwhtr

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2013, 03:22 PM »
Yes its thermal would like more but will let it go for 500
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.