The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Canyon Ferry Fishn Report  (Read 30094 times)

Offline lipripr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Canyon Ferry Fishn Report
« on: Dec 19, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Just thought I'd start a new one for Canyon Ferry.  Kind of hoping to see fishn comments instead of a bunch of regulation talk.
Not trying to be a pain, but tired of reading thru a bunch of the same stuff while trying to see how the fishing is.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
Re: Canyon Ferry Fishn Report
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:41 PM »
Regulation talk is important when people start posting about using live minnows on CF,its obvious there are members of this forum that should be reading more and cyber scouting less.

Offline lipripr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2011, 08:01 PM »
There are copies of the regs everywhere, and i do read them. Not getting into this.

Offline rooster740

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Just thought I'd start a new one for Canyon Ferry.  Kind of hoping to see fishn comments instead of a bunch of regulation talk.
Not trying to be a pain, but tired of reading thru a bunch of the same stuff while trying to see how the fishing is.
Ditto
Cyber scouting ism the reason I look at this website
Ya gotta be tuff when yer dumb

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2011, 01:06 PM »
Seems readng them and understanding them dont go hand in hand.

Offline Griztrax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2011, 01:32 PM »

I haven't been down there presonally but hear that people are fishing down near the silohs and having some success with the rainbows but not a ton of action at this point.  Haven't heard much about the walleye or perch fishing.  Sorry not much help.  Perhaps someone who has been down there in the last couple days can chime in.

Offline TJet Apprentice45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2011, 01:37 PM »
Got a second hand report from Saturday, not much info to go with it though.  A buddy was out on the South end, no monsters but they did end up with a limit of Rainbows.
Slugs "N" Sinkers Jet Boating

Offline Fowl Play

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2011, 02:31 PM »
Seems readng them and understanding them dont go hand in hand.
  If you're having trouble understanding them, call your local warden.  I'm sure they'd be glad to help you out.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2011, 03:12 PM »
Im sure the local wardens are already loooking into it.

Offline Fowl Play

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2011, 03:43 PM »
Im sure the local wardens are already loooking into it.
Good I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to contact them.  Remember they're there to help you!!

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2011, 05:35 PM »
well thats good to hear maybe they could throw some walleye or something worthwhile into beavertail for us.it is a warm water pond but all they dump in are trout..a little diversity in western montana would be nice.also can anyone explain why, besides being illegal, you can use live bait in eastern montana but not anywhere else?? and i would also like to see them open season year round for wolves with no limit,trap them shoot them at night whatever ,make them a varmint like they are. that would be a good start. now back to the topic of the post.. how is the fishing in canyon ferry???

Offline cnelson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:55 PM »
fished for 4 hours today by cliffs got 2 walleyes over 5 lbs  one with a eatin trout in its mouth and limited out on rainbows  biggest was 27  inches   great day.    used  korn on pink jig head and  banjo minnow and wax worm on walleys  .

Offline Angulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2011, 09:42 PM »
Where are the cliffs?

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2011, 01:31 AM »
unless you were actually fishing with korn, corn is a no no in montana....  I am not going to brow beat you about it, just thought you might like to know.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:30 AM »
I've been through the regs twice now this morning, not sure where it says corn on a hook is not a legal bait.  Now, its is also 6:30 so there's a very good chance I missed something.  Does anyone have a page # or something that says Corn is not legal?

Offline cnelson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:49 AM »
you just cant chum the area with it   

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:02 AM »
unless you were actually fishing with korn, corn is a no no in montana....  I am not going to brow beat you about it, just thought you might like to know.

eroknroll,  this is no longer a Law.  It was changed some time ago(more than 8 years)...There are still some old timer FWP guys that will frown at you when you tell them what you are using but they can't site you for it anymore.

Offline Lamnidae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:27 AM »
I confirmed Neptune's statement for myself last year by calling FWP.  Now if people wouldn't mind, the originator of this thread was TRYING to get a fishing report thread going again--not a redux of the scoldings by part time game wardens.  I know it's crucial to know and follow the regs, but that's not what this thread is supposed to be about.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:31 AM »
 X2   :thumbsup:

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Dang Nonya let it go man... This is a Canyon Ferry Fishing Report Thread.

Got a little more info on the Silohs fishing from a buddy up there.  Everything they put on the ice was taking small (didn't say what size exactly) brown or black wooly jigs tipped with a maggot.   Kinda leaves the bait selection open to the imagination but that's half the fun  :woot:

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Has anyone one out past the pressure ridge?

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2011, 01:01 PM »
The REAL Canyon Ferry fishing reports go here...  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=88135.0  That is the link to the Montana Fishing Reports and Conditions page for Canyon Ferry.  Post your REAL fishing reports there.  This thread is nothing more than chit chat thread about Canyon Ferry.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline Lamnidae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2011, 01:09 PM »
I was there the other day and there was a large group of ice skaters skating all over (like on top) and beyond the pressure ridge.  It was stressing me out because I didn't want to get involved in a recovery attempt.  Needless to say, they weren't having any problems with the ice--if that's your question. 

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2011, 01:21 PM »
Has anyone been piked while fishing shallow for trout?  I got some smelt in the freezer that are looking to catch some pike for me.  I figure based on my summer time fishing that the south end near the dikes, the Duck Creek points, and the points and bays north of Goose Bay would be the most probable locations for pike to be.  What do you think?

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2011, 01:59 PM »
Sounds like a good place to start Jay. I'll give em a try on Canyon Ferry this year I think. Don't really know my strategy yet, but any of the bays if holding a pike or two,  :tipup:
Live Free Or Die.

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:40 PM »
if you two are targeting pike on cf your crazy i say u would do better targeting paddlefish on peck but if you do find them let me know where i wont fish there for carp ;D ;D ;D ;D
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline gblomquist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:54 PM »
Agreed. Wooly buggers were the ticket for trout yesterday afternoon/eve.

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2011, 10:29 PM »
According to the biologist if you want to "target" Northerns. North of Goose in Snaggy would be the spot. Second hand to me but I may have to try it at some point this year.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2011, 09:15 AM »
This info should be in the Lake specific thread under Conditions and Reports....that's why its there...

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2011, 02:49 PM »
I stand corrected.  I guess the jury is still out as far as how the fish respond to it.  It is illeagal in wyoming still.  From what I have read in utah it used to be a big prob because people were chumming way to much with that it created problems.  The trout page has more on this if you want to read about it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.