Author Topic: Bells  (Read 1254 times)

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
Bells
« on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:06 AM »
This one is for the guys who put bells on their tip ups.   1.  How far away can you hear them?  2.   What kind are they and where do you get them?  3.  Does the wind rattle them around while they are down enough to make you think you have a tip up? 4.  how do you attach them?  5.  Overall, how would rate the effectiveness of them?

Offline SKilo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bells
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:05 PM »
I maybe slightly hard of hearing now a days but you get more than three feet from them and it's pretty tough especially if there's any wind blowing. I think HT makes some and they usually just clip onto the flag with some sort of tightening nut. They are probably better served on your rod inside the shanty. I would rate their effectiveness a 1 (poor) out of 10 but that's just my thoughts.

Offline ME icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:58 PM »
I went to the dollar tree store and bought 10 cat collars with bells for $1 a piece. I attached them to the split ring at the end of the flag rod on my jack traps. They're small but we can hear them from about 40-50 yards away. It's funny because if we really get into the fish all day, then later at home we keep hearing these fantom bell noises.  :cookoo:

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2012, 01:04 PM »
I use them all the time. Mine are the HT flavor. The wind will rattle them a bit but it's a different sound when the flag pops... I can hear them a good 100 yards away most days.

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2012, 01:16 PM »
I went to the dollar tree store and bought 10 cat collars with bells for $1 a piece. I attached them to the split ring at the end of the flag rod on my jack traps. They're small but we can hear them from about 40-50 yards away. It's funny because if we really get into the fish all day, then later at home we keep hearing these fantom bell noises.  :cookoo:

That is funny because i fish tuna for a living and i can hear the fish alarm on the sonar for weeks after the season

Offline SKilo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:20 PM »
I use them all the time. Mine are the HT flavor. The wind will rattle them a bit but it's a different sound when the flag pops... I can hear them a good 100 yards away most days.

100 yards now that is impressive!  :o That's some supersonic hearing. I don't know that I could even see my tip-ups from a football field away let alone hear them tiny bells. That's why I went with the Frabill Artic siren.

Guess I should probably go get my hearing and eyes checked.  :)

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:08 AM »
I use bells when I'm close to holes and no wind. I also get door alarms for $1, with batteries, at the dollar store and screw them on my tipups. No noise until the flag goes, but then loud enough that I can be sleeping or talking beside the stove in the shack and jump outside to action. Legal maximum distance from a hole here is 25 metres, and I'll seldom hear a bell at that distance. I use the same setup in the summer on regular rods and can sleep peacefully in my lawn chair on windy days while awaiting a bite. None of that unnerving tinkle from the breeze. For rods, both short and long, I just make a tiny hinged "door" with a cup hook to run the line through. The door opens at a slight tug, setting off the alarm. Very cheap, very effective!

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2012, 01:40 PM »
Which dollor store has the window/ door alarms?   I got a cheap pack at a walmart register one time but have only found the 5-7 dollar versions since.

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2012, 01:50 PM »
I get them at Dollarama, here in Canada. Don't know if they have U.S. stores. As anything else there, they don't always have them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.