New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)  (Read 220036 times)

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)
« Reply #90 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:10 PM »
Fish of a lifetime....yep, 2 years ago, my buddy was fishing and the only flag he had, had a massive pike on it and he couldn't get it up the hole. He had his hand on it trying to squeeze it thru and the pike pulled and thrashed it's head and broke the line. If he was able to get it out the hole and up on the ice it would have been on the wall cause it was the biggest pike he has ever caught open or hard water.  :tipup:  :tipup:

what size hole?  sounds like he should have been using the 10" hole that everyone on this site loves so much.

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #91 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:19 PM »
what size hole?  sounds like he should have been using the 10" hole that everyone on this site loves so much.
lol, I hear ya, that is whyy my gas auger is a 9".  ;D

but I think my buddy only had a 6" cause he only has a hand auger, been telling him to get atleast an 8".

Offline dan_lais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NORTHERN!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #92 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:21 PM »
i like your attitude SS.i think we had a few words last year lol.you definately pull no punches and tell it how it is.i love the sarcasm too!you are the type of guy that is best to agree with  ;D . hope to see ya out there around scout this year ill be looking for that shanty cant miss that thing its sweet.i have been on the sac just a couple times and saw no flags.usually there is at least a one in our group over the years.course i dont fish it all the time either.sounds like you live right up that way and spend a heck of aot more time there than me which would mean you have had better and worse days.

Offline sacandagakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:23 PM »
another victory for the 10
Dont't catch um all

Offline ADKC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:30 PM »
Never said that I was "GOD".  Just stating the obvious way I see things every time I fish the lake, sounds like I must have struck a nerve with you tho...Maybe you fall into "that guy" persona i described and took offense?  

Anyway... I'll be bidding this thread farewell after this post since its seems as though no one that fishes the sac can get along with eachother or accept any form of advice or constructive criticism.

And don't you worry about me I will continue to "look a few steps in front of me" that's where my hole will be with fish coming out of it

Good luck with the rest of your season
Ill have a light beer there for ya when ya reach me...Good luck to you to.

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:33 PM »
i like your attitude SS.i think we had a few words last year lol.you definately pull no punches and tell it how it is.i love the sarcasm too!you are the type of guy that is best to agree with  ;D . hope to see ya out there around scout this year ill be looking for that shanty cant miss that thing its sweet.i have been on the sac just a couple times and saw no flags.usually there is at least a one in our group over the years.course i dont fish it all the time either.sounds like you live right up that way and spend a heck of aot more time there than me which would mean you have had better and worse days.

my attitude got me kicked off ice shanty last year so i am trying to tone it down this year.  i tricked them though and used my wifes computer and made a new profile. haha  i showed them!
 my shanty will stay put for the rest of the season near scout.  been catching a few eyes, nothing big, but flags are flags.  i dont expect everyone to agree with me, i know i am not the greatest fisherman, but i have a good time doing it.  the lake is what it is, a slow producing lake.  it used to be a great lake to limit out on eyes, but like most lakes now that doesn't happen anymore/often.  

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:39 PM »

Anyway... I'll be bidding this thread farewell after this post since its seems as though no one that fishes the sac can get along with eachother

oh no, another cry baby post!  we all get along, might not always agree but i have seen no harsh words towards each other.  settle down and if you don't like the sac threads then stay off em.  i'm pretty sure we all know that you have to put work in and if you don't fish the lake more than a couple times a year you really don't have much of a say as to how to fish the lake if you ask me.

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #97 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:39 PM »
SSminnow - I've I make it out to your shanty, I'll have a pocket ful of coins, so that I can get into the card game. I love playing cards in a warm shanty while watching for flags. Maybe we can trade cell #'s and I can call for ya to bring the quad over and pick me up, lol. Sounds like a great time. I've always wanted to ice fish the res., I've open water fished it a few times and always come home with a few eyes in the livewell, hope to get out more this year. Havne't been on it in a few years now.

Keep the updates coming and maybe we'll cross pathes some day and have a few laughs.  @)

Offline dan_lais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NORTHERN!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #98 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:13 PM »
dontcha think 8 inch holes are plenty?i used to fish with a 10 it was nice for sure but i think an 8 plenty.

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:36 PM »
dontcha think 8 inch holes are plenty?i used to fish with a 10 it was nice for sure but i think an 8 plenty.

i was just kidding, bringing up another debate from last week.  like my wife said, 8" is fine but 10" is even better!  that must be why she married me. ;D 
i am talking about augers by the way.

Offline hoogie1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:23 PM »
Yo Rat,

were you the guy I ran into at stewarts that one day? I was wearing the red and black artic armor and has fished Caroga Lake that morning.

If so, are you in the Walleye challenge?

hoogie

Offline hoogie1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:57 PM »
Hello all,

I don't post very much but I do love all the banter......it certainly keeps me entertained in between hard water outings.

That being said, I am entered in the 2011 walleye challenge with a couple of my buddies and just wanted some general advice on the lake. I do have the luxury of parking in my buddy's driveway off the lake which is close to lasky's marina (Munsville road). I'm an avid fisherman and understand one needs to put the time in and be rewarded for those efforts so I'm not looking for secret spots just some strategic guidance so we have a shot of at least getting a walleye flag.  We will be equipped with sleds and ATV's so mobility will not be an issue. Anyone have an opinion on a good spot to set up which is not to far from the weigh station at lanzis and somewhat close to my launch point by laskys?

any feedback is appreciated and thanks again.

Be safe out there boyz!!!

Hoogie

ps  just purchased the Artic Armor......I'm hopefully now a floater in case I go through

Offline ADK Tank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:23 AM »
hoogie,

You can only be close to one location or the other. It's a ride to get from where you are putting in to Lanzi's on a wheeler, doable but you can't be close to both locations. From where you are putting on you need to get out of that bay, there isn't a ton of water in that area this time of year. I would suggest getting out north of Scout island toward the main body of the lake and start someplace out there. I haven't had much luck this year so I can't give you more insight.

Your best bet though would be to find SSminnow's shanty and set up within 50' of him, heck he will probably let you use some of his 10" holes! ;D
I prefer the 8" holes, a little tighter to get through!

Almost forgot, be carefull out there on the wheelers and sleds, there are some bad pressure ridges out there that have already swallowed up at least one sled this year into 23' of water.

Offline ratdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:00 AM »
were movin the shanty today getting out into the main body of water hope our luck changes

Offline Johnny3Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:43 AM »
were movin the shanty today getting out into the main body of water hope our luck changes

Good luck!  Hope you get your limit.
J3W

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Jan 13, 2011, 11:30 AM »
hoogie,

You can only be close to one location or the other. It's a ride to get from where you are putting in to Lanzi's on a wheeler, doable but you can't be close to both locations. From where you are putting on you need to get out of that bay, there isn't a ton of water in that area this time of year. I would suggest getting out north of Scout island toward the main body of the lake and start someplace out there. I haven't had much luck this year so I can't give you more insight.

Your best bet though would be to find SSminnow's shanty and set up within 50' of him, heck he will probably let you use some of his 10" holes! ;D
I prefer the 8" holes, a little tighter to get through!

Almost forgot, be carefull out there on the wheelers and sleds, there are some bad pressure ridges out there that have already swallowed up at least one sled this year into 23' of water.

now i have to go out and paint my shanty white to camoflauge it from leeches.  my pellet gun easily reaches 50' so you better stay at least 100'.  i just went out to plow some paths out at my shanty and there are quite a few shantys out off the north end of scout.  there is room by my shanty if anyone wants to encroach, but i moved my shanty 40 yards every day in that area before i found my spot, which is only producing dinks so far, so good luck.

like someone else said, be careful, there are some nasty ridges and still some spots of open water on the south and east side of scout.  if it is not still open it is definetly not safe.

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Jan 13, 2011, 11:31 AM »

hope you have a sled, the wheeler was not moving all to great out there today with the snow drifts.  good luck.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Jan 13, 2011, 01:16 PM »
hope you have a sled, the wheeler was not moving all to great out there today with the snow drifts.  good luck.

Just a suggestion for all of you ATVer's:
Ditch the wheels. Replace them with tracks (Mattracks). A little pricey, but well worth the cost. They go EVERYWHERE except straight up and can stay on all year 'round. Deals can be found on e-bay, or you can buy new. I found mine used, in excellent condition from the company. They don't deal in used tracks, but they turned me on to their customer that had a used set for sale. THEY ARE GREAT (both the tracks and the company). Ask for Travis. He is the fellow that helped me save thousands (literally!).

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #108 on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:02 PM »

Just a suggestion for all of you ATVer's:
Ditch the wheels. Replace them with tracks (Mattracks). A little pricey, but well worth the cost. They go EVERYWHERE except straight up and can stay on all year 'round. Deals can be found on e-bay, or you can buy new. I found mine used, in excellent condition from the company. They don't deal in used tracks, but they turned me on to their customer that had a used set for sale. THEY ARE GREAT (both the tracks and the company). Ask for Travis. He is the fellow that helped me save thousands (literally!).

for the price of the tracks i could have another wheeler or sled.  way to pricey for me.  i can only remember one time where i couldn't get the wheeler out on the ice, but, by the end of the day the sleds had it packed down for me.  i think the tracks are awesome,  but i could think of a million things i would spend my $$ on before them.

Offline sacandagakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:16 PM »
decent day on doga today 6 flags 2 eyes 19-17  one at 10 am other at 2'30. 3 small pike, lots of slush around, holes filled in quick with snow..wom first card game of the year 1 for 50..not very good numbers but at least i broke the ice... all fish in 6-10 fow
Dont't catch um all

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:25 PM »
for the price of the tracks i could have another wheeler or sled.  way to pricey for me.  i can only remember one time where i couldn't get the wheeler out on the ice, but, by the end of the day the sleds had it packed down for me.  i think the tracks are awesome,  but i could think of a million things i would spend my $$ on before them.

Sure. But for an old F@rt like me, bad back, bad knees, my days of walking are over, as well as my days pushing out stuck ATV's. Besides, My deal for tracks was well worth. You could only buy a piece of junk ATV for what my tracks cost, in great condition. I lucked out. I had to go to Creole, La., near Galveston, Tx. to get them, but they were well worth the rp. We also went to a couple of Bass Pro

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:28 PM »
Sure. But for an old F@rt like me, bad back, bad knees, my days of walking are over, as well as my days pushing out stuck ATV's. Besides, My deal for tracks was well worth. You could only buy a piece of junk ATV for what my tracks cost, in great condition. I lucked out. I had to go to Creole, La., near Galveston, Tx. to get them, but they were well worth the rp. We also went to a couple of Bass Pro

'puter threw me out...

...Shops and a Caballea's on the way back. COOL road trip! Also, if you watch e-bay, there are, occasionally, screaming deals on tracks.
Good Luck!
Catch a bucket full!

Offline matthewwood25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:14 PM »
anyone fishing in the contest next weekend the glsff one the two day event if so let me know i will be out there in the portable shanty all weekend so send me a pm

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:59 AM »
ill be there for the gslff one day and the fishhouse two day event. ill be in a frabil trekker somewhere between both sign in spots

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:10 AM »
anyone fishing in the contest next weekend the glsff one the two day event if so let me know i will be out there in the portable shanty all weekend so send me a pm

Me too! I'm in a black Eskimo Ice Cube soft shanty and have a camo ATV with tracks instead of wheels (easy to spot). Not sure where I'm setting up yet.

Offline matthewwood25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:13 AM »
let me know dont where we are setting up either

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #116 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:15 AM »
let me know dont where we are setting up either

Just sent a pm. I'll have to do some research for a place.

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #117 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:14 AM »
i'll be out there, not getting in the tourny though.  probably stay saturday till sunday, i'm bringing my fire pit with me!  last year my cousin caught a 40" pike and was not in the tourny and had someone fishing next to us offer to enter it in their name and split any winnings 50/50.  you couldn't pay us enuf to associate our names with this group.   these people are accused of being "cheaters" every year.  i am sure they will have their name on the board this year also.  way to much cheating goes on for me to give them my $20, even though there is the chance of me still catching a monster also.

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:41 AM »
does anyone know the conditions off of fish house rd. will be staying at a camp there and most likely be going out on wheelers if the ice is safe enough out of there.

Offline canman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #119 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:20 AM »
SS minnow so how much money did you win with that 40 inch pike. splitting 50/50 ??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.