Author Topic: Storing Your Tip-Ups  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Air4Andy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hmmm... I guess I'll HAVE to go ice fitchin'
Storing Your Tip-Ups
« on: Feb 15, 2009, 10:32 PM »
What do you all find is the best way to store a bunch or tip up with 3ft mono leaders so the lines dont kink and get weak and so they dont all tangle together (loose hooks and flags and such)

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Storing Your Tip-Ups
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2009, 01:53 AM »
I use a small rubber band around the spools to hold the line in place nwhen storing between trips.  I use 25 pound mono leaders which does tend to hold the shape of the spool and coil up when I first get setting my traps.....I just grab both ends and give it a tight stetch before setting the trap and the line is nice and straight!  Give that a try!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2009, 12:08 PM »
I have a friend who has a row of nailsnear the cealing in his basment. He would hook the hook on the nail and let the tipup hang acouple of inches off floor. 

Offline Air4Andy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hmmm... I guess I'll HAVE to go ice fitchin'
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2009, 02:18 AM »
These are good ideas but I was thinking like from today till tomorrow. I just hate when my rubberbands that hold the hook break and then the hook grabs everything. I Usually wrap the leader the long way around the board so I dont have to wind it into the spool, but sometimes it slides off then end...

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2009, 05:02 AM »
I have a small hole in the end of my tipups and just hook into it.  I have seen guys drill a decent sized hole then put cork in it to hook into.  I tried the rubber band thing when I started and it was a pain.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline Mississippi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:53 PM »
I have a nice loop end knot on my tip-up forgot the name of the knot.  Un hook my leader after use and store the leader/hooks in a plastic (round) electrical tape container.  Works good for me.

MS
Anybody Seen Any Catfish??

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2009, 05:04 PM »
These are good ideas but I was thinking like from today till tomorrow. I just hate when my rubberbands that hold the hook break and then the hook grabs everything. I Usually wrap the leader the long way around the board so I dont have to wind it into the spool, but sometimes it slides off then end...
Went to WalMart yesterday and got an assortment of velcro straps from thier craft isle. They are 1/2" wide and about 7" long. About $2.00 for pkg of 6 assorted colors. They wrap around the spool perfect and work great. Easy to use in cold weather too.  Much better than rubber bands.

Offline 800aberdean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:41 PM »
cork glued to the bottom of the spool

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.