Author Topic: pop ups and wind  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Aaronl41

• IceShanty Rookie
pop ups and wind
« on: Jan 19, 2013, 07:21 PM »
I think I found the limit for my ff949i today.  Me and a buddy tried to set it up but the wind just wasn't cooperating with us.  Found out after we left the wind was between 30 and 40 with gusts to 50.  What's the highest wind you've had your pop up out in?

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: pop ups and wind
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2013, 05:34 AM »
You did good. On some of the bigger lakes here I have seen pop ups fly when the winds get to about 25. We actually try to spot out the pop ups after we set up just so we can watch. Some of them I doubt are ever recovered.

WS

Offline Goldpinhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2013, 11:46 AM »
had a flag go up on me yesterday while i was trying to get my first ice screw in.  was teaching my wife to fish and it was the first flag of the day so wanted to help her.  great first perch.  bad flying pop up haha.

it only went about 10 feet but man i'm sure i had everyone on the ice laughing as i was trying to get it under control. 

Offline SDfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2013, 03:00 PM »
Saturday I pushed the limits. Took out the otter pro, on a lake in north east South Dakota. Lets just say it felt like fishing during a hurricane.

35 mph constant with gusts reaching 55 an above. Resulting in tiny ice particles that sounded like hail hitting the shanty. I had the truck parked directly behind the pop up blocking the wind. But it didn't feel like it made a difference. It was so windy at one point. I didn't even have to jig my rods cause the wind was providing enough movement for my plastics to function without me.

It pushed my girlfriend across the ice. Bent my ice anchors, luckily i had them, and they froze in solid. And to top it off, it blew my baklava to the other side of the country by now.

Overall we drank a few beers listend to some good oldies and caught our perch. Ended up frying them that night and had a good laugh through it all.
Jesus was said to have walked on water, I feel comfort in knowing he was an avid ice fisherman like me.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2013, 03:01 PM »
If you achor the hubs too, it works great. I've been out in squalls with 60+ mph winds.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:54 AM »
Watched a Clam hub fly 200 yards on Sunday with the wind we had.  Helped the guy catch it and he said it was anchored down.  Also watched a flip over "flip over"!!  Guess it was pretty windy...
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline natep24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:25 PM »
I have a frabill outback. I used it the other day in 45+ mph .
I use 4 , 6" lag screws(with a cordless impact driver) to ancore it down. I learned that trick after chasing it halfway across the lake.
Nate P
Firefighter/EMT

Offline mcsquinty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2013, 09:09 AM »
Back in the painful days I owned a hub, I would set two amchors FIRST, rig my rope with tautline knots, then tie those to the two hubs facing the wind. Just think of it was a kite, you never launch before you tie.

Offline outlaw5oo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2013, 05:39 AM »
i had mine out in 50mph gusts had 3 guys help me set up a shappell 6000 was a bit loud as there was no snow to put on the skirt so it flapped a bit. Also on take down i took off the hub anchor and it blew right in with a gust and blew apart the fiberglass but i called shappell and they sent a few no questions.

Offline Aaronl41

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2013, 05:18 PM »
Was out yesterday and today with it and had almost no wind, but I think I've improved my setup to the point I could get it setup in high winds.  Still I'm very impressed with how well  my ff949i works and would recommend it to anyone interested in a hub shelter.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:13 PM »
I've set my Clam Bigfoot up in 35mph winds. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. That day we got 55 mph gusts. Hub did great, all for hubs were anchored as well as all 4 corners inside.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.