Author Topic: Fancy custom rods  (Read 4451 times)

Offline something smells fishy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fancy custom rods
« Reply #30 on: Dec 04, 2008, 05:43 PM »
would you say the wood is better than cork ?

Offline Xanfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 04, 2008, 05:49 PM »
While I don't think you have to have an expensive custom rod, buying the cheapest thing I can find always leads to me buying it multiple times. I picked up an $8 reel the other day and it was a complete piece of junk, didn't fit the rod right and the drag was non existant. So what did I do, went and bought an entire new combo. Only paid $20 for it but it was on sale for 40% off, so it is a decent rig plus it ended up being the hot rig of the day.

As for Fly rods and saltwater rods I am finding myself constantly going to more expensive gear and realizing why I should have went with the good stuff right off the bat.

Plus if you spend a lot on gear it is a good excuse to use it more often. ;D
Gotta get your moneys worth.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 04, 2008, 05:58 PM »
would you say the wood is better than cork ?

Not really. I just hate korkalon with a passion and the ice blues rods came with korkalon. The wood was dirt cheap and very easy to work with. I bought a oak hardwood dowel for a little over $3 for a 4' piece.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #33 on: Dec 04, 2008, 06:26 PM »
The wood is a pretty good idea, but does the wood expand when wet. Just wondering because my dad built a timber frame house a few years back and has probably some of the pegs left over.

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 04, 2008, 07:16 PM »
I have lots of rods. Like more than 50. More perch and small trout I like ul graphite now I like medium power graphite for big trout smallmouths and pickerel. For pike I like longer heavier rods.
Depends on the mood If its damm cold and I'm fishing bait I like fiberglass with large guides. I also have some for my buddies to use who wouldn't know the difference....My favorite is (still) the Frabill sensitive XL series (although I busted one on a hookset of a 20" trout last year)
Someday soon I will build a half dozen custom graphites with long cork handles. Fishing is my life and my tackle makes me happy. Mainhzmt I have been reading your posts you know your stuff you don't need fancy ice rods and I would tell anyone to invest in a nice auger, rod holders, spud, sled, lines, chemically sharpened hook, custom egg sinkers, down hood, ice fishing suit, all that first to make you more versitile then get so sweet rods...
Although, you do need a sweet little trout rod with a sweet little reel. Look at it this way you have all you lines out and fishing your holes are drilled you going to jig with some club?
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline teal

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Kill 'em boys....
« Reply #35 on: Dec 04, 2008, 07:30 PM »
I don't begrudge someone with a custom rod - look at people who drop 18k on a Harley and use it about 4 months a year.

While I am very new to the sport - I decided a Frabill Bro series combo at 32 dollars was the right compromise. 32 bucks is about what dinner with the girlfriend runs at a nicer chain style place (TX Roadhouse with drinks) so it isn't a wallet buster. I bought my son one as well.

Andrew

Eyes like a tiger baby.....

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Dec 04, 2008, 07:42 PM »
I dont like wood handles, they are too heavy. A good UL jig rod should weigh less than an ounce.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 04, 2008, 07:58 PM »
On another site there is a gentleman that uses Birch bark to make handles.  He cuts it into disks and glues them together.  Once he had a dowel shape made the length of the handle, he sands it down on a lathe.  He usually puts wood on either end, most likely because the wood can take more abuse.  They look awesome!  And they can't be very heavy.

I wouldn't buy a fancy custom rod, but I'm dying to make some!
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 04, 2008, 08:06 PM »
Yeh, I'd love to do a custom 42" acid (spiral wrap) casting rod for a pair of old small ambassodors for pike and muskie. Simple graphite and long cork handle with fugi reel seat. I am convinced for casting reels the spiral wrap would rule. I would just love that.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 04, 2008, 08:28 PM »
Yeh, I'd love to do a custom 42" acid (spiral wrap) casting rod for a pair of old small ambassodors for pike and muskie. Simple graphite and long cork handle with fugi reel seat. I am convinced for casting reels the spiral wrap would rule. I would just love that.

Check out the ALPS reel seats!  For a full size rod, there sweet!
Follow the bubbles...

Offline something smells fishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 04, 2008, 09:25 PM »
what about bass wood , so do you cut off the old cork and just drill a hole some epoxy. I like the feel of cork but I always get ice packed on it  the wood look like a great alternative

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 04, 2008, 09:50 PM »
The one plus of buying a custom rod is you can get it made right here in the states.  Now the Fuji guides & handles may not be, but the craftsmanship is!  You get what you pay for.  I've got maybe just under a G in my ice rods & reels alone, & I still feel like there are more I need to add to my collection.  My wife has no idea how much they all really cost! ;D 

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 04, 2008, 10:20 PM »
while nothing really is a necessity on ice once you use a good rod and feel the difference you will need a great rod than the addiction of great rods becoming a necessity will occur

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 05, 2008, 05:42 AM »
I don't feel that a rod, even a custom rod, has to be expensive to be good. Last season, I had a custom rod made with a standard reel seat (like you would see on an open water rod). It is a very good, very sensitive walleye rod. It cost me $35, and its the best rod I own.

Dave

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 05, 2008, 06:03 AM »
Very nice work Drifter 016! Luv the Baston blanks and flocking is sooo much better then other materials.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:27 AM »
I know a guy who makes custom rods. I used one of his rods last year for a few days. I really would like to purchase one, but they come with a pretty hefty price tag for something I can't use too often because of my location. The reason I want one is feel. The rod I used had great feel to it. I understood what I was feeling at the end of the line at all times. I don't always have that feeling. Could be insuficient time on the water with the other rods, but I don't think so. The minute I put the lure down, I knew what it was doing. It was a good action rod that gave me great feeling. Of course you can cut a tree branch, tie some line to it, and catch fish. But when you can feel everything that is going on, you will catch MORE fish.

Mike

Mike,you have said it best. Feel and sensitivity=faster hooksets=more fish through the hole. I would like see to anyone fish a Thorne Bros. custom rod side by side with a Frabil or HT rod,less then 5 mins the Thorne Bros. rod will be the one in your hand the rest of the day. I`ll bet there is a few of us out there that could cut back on beer drinking or quit smoking and start enjoying some best equipment this sport has to offer. By the way I don`t smoke but I do like to have a few beers now and then.

Bob   

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 05, 2008, 08:19 AM »
The wood is a pretty good idea, but does the wood expand when wet. Just wondering because my dad built a timber frame house a few years back and has probably some of the pegs left over.

I never really got them soaked with water. If you sand and seal the wood good with a varnish or similar the water won't get to the wood. I'd make shure the wood is good and dry before sealing it though.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Dec 05, 2008, 10:19 AM »
Very nice work Drifter 016! Luv the Baston blanks and flocking is sooo much better then other materials.

Thanks, the flocking is nice and warm too.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.