Author Topic: Rockbass?  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Kenny Limmit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bream Reaper
Rockbass?
« on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:25 PM »
I've noticed some people on Iceshanty do not like rockbass. Why?

Rocky-Haters :'( ;D

DRR324

Re: Rockbass?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:30 PM »
Don't hate them as much as pike.... my hatred stems from my bass tourney days, skipping docks and having my line go tight....could be a 5 pound largemouth, only to set the hook and have a damn rock bass come flying out......

now pike are altogether different- nothing like smoking a $7.00 spinnerbait across a nice grass bed in lake erie for fat smallies- and having a yike rip it right off my line.....same thing these days in my lake, can't throw a spinnerbait for smallies anymore- the pike eat em up.  They also enjoy my walleye jigs, and minnow tipped crappie jigs while sitting in the shanty.  Good for nothing, slimy, toothy, smelly, &*(*%^%&^%$$&^ fish

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:31 PM »
Silly Rookie... I'll show you where to catch rock bass if you show me where you catch your Crappies ;D
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:55 PM »
Arent rock bass just glorifed big pan fish?
  I know alot of fellas don't like rock bass.  I hear they have lots of worms but I think they are just like perch were in the old days.  Everyone thought perch were nasty.  Now everyone hunts those critters.  I wonder if rocks will ever enjoy the limelite.  I waonder what a rock bass tastes like.   Hey let me know where the pike on erie are.  I bet those nasty boys are huge and rock the boat!  I love pike fishin too.  Smallies are just bait anyway! LOL
   Da-Roc

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2008, 01:10 PM »
All hail the mighty rock bass.  Feel Free to Join  us in the MIRC Shanty for some mighty fun rockbass action. Anyone wondering what MIRC is, Click on the link below:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=39864.0
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline hauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2008, 01:15 PM »
Sweet rockie mount Jimmy !!!!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2008, 01:17 PM »
I waonder what a rock bass tastes like.

I go up to Ontario fishing 2-3 weeks a year. We keep quite a few rock bass. I like them better than bass, even though they taste alot like bass. They have large bones and alot of meat. The lake we go to is loaded with them, big ones too over 12". The lake is hammered hard for bluegills, walleye and bass. Rock bass are pretty much ignored.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:31 PM »
I have made a couple of great shore lunches while small mouth fishing on Lake Erie,would rather eat a big cold water rocky over a small mouth,the really big ones have quite a nice fillet on them, a big can of baked beans,can of corn, some sliced can potatoes, bag of buns, some crumbs,couple of eggs ,cast iron fry pan,oil,,and don't forget the hot sauce,and a cold one and maybe the will rocky a little respect. Try one you just might let it.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:32 PM »
Can I get an AMEN Brother!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:35 PM »
What a great question- it always amazes me how different our targets can be from one person to the next...  Just like in life, we all have our likes and dislikes...

I, for one, think the ol' RedEyes are sweet...  On the glamour-scale, I'd rank 'em at least one step up from the bluegills and pickerel...  Since I am not much of a fish-eater, I'd say they are equal to a Perch (and just a half-step below Crappie).

Rockies have saved me from getting skunked on a whole lotta' occassions- and their willingness to take bigger jigs gives me a mini-workout when I am searching for Pike and Smallies...

I guess Pike seem to garner an even more tempered reaction from us fisherman...  Lotsa' guys hate 'em, but I think they are some of the biggest and most badass fish in freshwater...  To each his own, I guess...

I think the Rocky derserves it's moment in the sun- atop the pedestal far above the lowly bluegill, warmouth, shellcracker, red-ears and all his sissy little cousins...  Bring on the DEVIL EYES and FAT MOUTH of the Rocky!!!   (-insert roaring tiger noise here-)
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:39 PM »
I dont like them because they dont put up a very good fight and they taste terrible.
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:59 PM »
I dont like them because they dont put up a very good fight and they taste terrible.

Ahem.....The Rockbass is probably the best tasting fish in the water today.....

M.I.R.C. 

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2008, 03:00 PM »
You have to stop fishin downstream from the "Treatment plant"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2008, 03:04 PM »
I have eaten my share they eat up as good as the rest put them all on a plate nobody ever says yuck but I have to say for me wallys and perch are my favorites at 51 spend more time on them old and slow p.s. nice mount.

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2008, 03:09 PM »
TRIED the ole rockbass for the first time ever mixed it in with some perch fillets and couldnt tell the difference so not bad i guess
What a great question- it always amazes me how different our targets can be from one person to the next...  Just like in life, we all have our likes and dislikes...

I, for one, think the ol' RedEyes are sweet...  On the glamour-scale, I'd rank 'em at least one step up from the bluegills and pickerel...  Since I am not much of a fish-eater, I'd say they are equal to a Perch (and just a half-step below Crappie).

Rockies have saved me from getting skunked on a whole lotta' occassions- and their willingness to take bigger jigs gives me a mini-workout when I am searching for Pike and Smallies...

I guess Pike seem to garner an even more tempered reaction from us fisherman...  Lotsa' guys hate 'em, but I think they are some of the biggest and most badass fish in freshwater...  To each his own, I guess...

I think the Rocky derserves it's moment in the sun- atop the pedestal far above the lowly bluegill, warmouth, shellcracker, red-ears and all his sissy little cousins...  Bring on the DEVIL EYES and FAT MOUTH of the Rocky!!!   (-insert roaring tiger noise here-)
its a great question just suprised how much someone can rank fish and doesnt really care to eat them either you dont like to eat them or have trouble catching but if you prefer crappie over perch your taste buds must be burnt off :D :D true bass fisherman  :laugh:

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2008, 03:11 PM »
I have made a couple of great shore lunches while small mouth fishing on Lake Erie,would rather eat a big cold water rocky over a small mouth,the really big ones have quite a nice fillet on them, a big can of baked beans,can of corn, some sliced can potatoes, bag of buns, some crumbs,couple of eggs ,cast iron fry pan,oil,,and don't forget the hot sauce,and a cold one and maybe the will rocky a little respect. Try one you just might let it.
Your right,enough hot sauce and 6 beers and they taste fair.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2008, 04:15 PM »
Ok Gang!
  Now my interest is peaked and I am going to try rock bass.  Whats the best way to cook those filets.  I dont have any around me but I am sure the St. Joe has some somewhere.  I think a pan fish is a pan fish.  I think rock bass are not much different than white bass?  what do you guys think?
  I understand they get no respect  I might just join in the MIRC and see how good it gets.  Why not start a Indiana Rock Bass Club?  The IRBC it will be called.  Who knows where tis will lead??
  LOL
  Da-Roc

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2008, 04:18 PM »
Yes Brother! You will find them much harder to catch once you try to target them

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2008, 05:15 PM »
Ok Gang!
  Now my interest is peaked and I am going to try rock bass.  Whats the best way to cook those filets.  I dont have any around me but I am sure the St. Joe has some somewhere.  I think a pan fish is a pan fish.  I think rock bass are not much different than white bass?  what do you guys think?
  I understand they get no respect  I might just join in the MIRC and see how good it gets.  Why not start a Indiana Rock Bass Club?  The IRBC it will be called.  Who knows where tis will lead??
  LOL
  Da-Roc

Alright Slim.....Just cook em up in the same mix or batter you'd do any other pannie in.  No one...no one will know the diff. 

M.I.R.C. 

Offline Kenny Limmit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bream Reaper
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2008, 06:02 PM »
After hearin this I think I wanna try one. A local river is loaded with Rockies and when I get one big enough, I'm gonna fry him up.
I'm surprised at all replies i've gotten!

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2008, 06:17 PM »
I've got some big rockbass before that have put up fights. They are basically the same as blue gill if you ask me. Even more elusive.

Team M.I.R.C Rock bass. It's whats for dinner.

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2008, 07:38 PM »
After hearin this I think I wanna try one. A local river is loaded with Rockies and when I get one big enough, I'm gonna fry him up.
I'm surprised at all replies i've gotten!

They are tasty...from cold water.  Dont ever forget that...COLD water.  Anything warmer than, say 40....you get pond sh&t. 

LOL...Im sorry...they taste like gills...or sunfish...

M.I.R.C. 

Offline Kenny Limmit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bream Reaper
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2008, 06:08 AM »
They are tasty...from cold water.  Dont ever forget that...COLD water.  Anything warmer than, say 40....you get pond sh&t. 

LOL...Im sorry...they taste like gills...or sunfish...

I probably shouldn't try one then because our river is very shallow and very warm. I've also heard there meat has parasites in it, is this true?

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:36 AM »
All fish will have grubs in them if there are kingfishers around & shallow calm waters.
There are other threads about parasites. over all I see more parasites in perch than any other fish.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2008, 09:07 AM »
ALL are welcome to join MIRC and the pursuit of the mighty Rock bass.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2008, 09:42 AM »
ALL are welcome to join MIRC and the pursuit of the mighty Rock bass.

All HAIL THE ROCKBASS!!!!!!

M.I.R.C. 

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2008, 09:53 AM »
In some of the lakes I fish they are an invasive specie and need to be removed so I welcome anyone that wants to come and take them out. I caught several the otherday that were 8" and I dont eat them.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2008, 10:00 AM »
i"ve never liked fish and therefor never eaten it. i guess that its the smell that does me in but i have to tell you guys that after reading some of the reply"s here, i am starting to rethink it because some sound pretty delicious.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2008, 10:40 AM »
You have to hook up with a fishin partner that will fillet and cook. Seems you like to fish and eat, just need some one to do the stuff you don't like.

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2008, 11:03 AM »
In Michigan there is a lake called Higgins, alot of people have herd about it, real deep clear spring fed body of water.  You can get on schools of rock bass and catch your fair share of these critters in the open water and they are absoulutly wonderfull table fare.  Have tried them from other lakes and they are not so hot but neather are the gills and perch. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.