Author Topic: Building Ice rods  (Read 2219 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Building Ice rods
« on: Dec 21, 2003, 06:44 AM »
I only have 19 ice rods...I'm afraid that's not enough...I have to build a couple more.

Does anyone have any tips on eye placement /size for say a 24"UL , 2.5 tip, .125 butt??? My references don't show much.

The rods I build are for my own use and the occasional gift. Trade secrets are safe with me.

RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Dark_Cloud

Re:Building Ice rods
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2003, 08:21 AM »
RG - Finding small enough tips is a struggle to say the least. Some rods that I build I have done some custom sanding and the tip are micro. On these I either build the very end of the rod up with some thread till it fits snug in the tip-top or dont use a tip-top at all. Just wrap a small guide on as the tip. Or talk to Tony, he may have some or have a line on micro tips....

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2003, 08:33 AM »
Dark Cloud,
The blanks I'm looking at are furnished with tips...They may or may not suit my tastes. Your suggestions are helpful.

I'm more interested in spacing/# of eyes etc.

I wasn't too clear in my opening post. Brain fog...ya know?

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2003, 09:17 AM »
Rg
When I was building rods After finding the spine I would tape the guide in place before wrapping, put the reel on and run the line through the guides and the tiptop. Do not tape the guides in place yet. If its a ice rod you are pulling straight up so clamp the rod to the workbench with the tip hanging over the edge Tie the tag end of the line to a bucket or something on the floor straight down from the tiptop. Then put a bend in the rod as if you had a fish on clamp it in this position. Then procede to tape the guides on the rod blank and be sure the line runs through the guides and it hits near the center of the guide not on the edges of the loop. Useing the power of the rod blank without putting to much strain on the line The first guide from the handle after putting a bend in the rod should line up with the close to center of the spool on the reel which will allow the drag and line not bind on the spinning reel then go from their to the tiptop. If you have trouble finding tiptops try a flyrod tip that is wraped on not glued. This is at least how I did them.
Cold Feet

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2003, 09:59 AM »
Tony, No Tips?????

By the way...yous guys coming up for the therapy session at the Bayside?

RG

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2003, 11:04 AM »
RG: Try jannsnetcraft.com  They have rod building supplies and some ice rod blanks and parts. Good luck!!
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2003, 11:33 AM »
MLB1,
the catalog is right in front of me...just placed an order.

Happy Holidays,
RG

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2003, 05:47 PM »
RG
    As with building any rod, the trick is not to pinch the line on any guide when the rod is under pressure. Place your guides with tape, load your rod, if it seems like any guide is pinched it may be necessary to add a guide or just move a guide around. In the case of an ice rod you don't have to be too concerned with the resistance factor of extra guides because you're not casting. Hope this helps you some. If you have problems finding materials just send me a message and I'll see if I can help you out.
                  REB

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2003, 12:35 AM »
Just a quick thought,have you ever tried the hollow blanks with the line running inside the blank and out the tip.We use them all the time.You can buy reels that are made for this type of rod and the hole set won't cost more than 30 bucks at best.Thats when you buy fancier blanks. Our take old fishing rods and take the eyes off and use them.The only thing bad about it is that it is a shallow water techn..

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2003, 08:50 AM »
I think the smallest tip janns has is a 4.  cabelas has a 3.5 id on this is about .055. not that small but the smallest i could find.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2003, 10:11 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I've tied a lot of rods in my time...made a lot of my ice rods...mostly from casualties in my collection.  I have no need for another rod...but need has nothing to do with it.

I like Tony's idea of using an eye from a large plated hook for the tip top. I got a chance to see his "Super Sensitive" strike indicators as well...impressive. I can't talk about his jigs...they bring tears to my eyes....they qualify as art.

Cold Feet and Reb's method of placing eyes and loading the rod is similar to mine...I use hot melt adhesive. It also holds the eyes in place for wrapping.

My intention is a perch/panfish rod for all depths of water so line friction is critical. I want to be able to drop the light stuff to 4o'+ when necessary using lines to 4#. I'm going with a large ( 25 or 30)  single foot first eye then I'll step down to single foot fly rod eyes..large enough to de-ice easily....the tip top will depend on how the blank feels. Might even use the one provided if it's not too small.

I'll try to post some pics of the finished product.

Thanks for the input. It's good to see others like to build their own!

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.