Author Topic: Overnight Portable?  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
Overnight Portable?
« on: Nov 27, 2003, 05:29 AM »
As a new user of a portable shanty I realize PORTABLE means able to put up and take down and move; but has anyone left their portable(securely ice screwed) on a specific lake overnight for a couple of days fishing.A few friends have indicated that if the portable is located near a group of shantys(bobhouses) it would most likely be OK(ofcourse they didn't shell out the money for the portable);yet a fisherman I know has left his portable at a location and has found other fishermen(sic) have trashed it and he has even found other people using it when he has arrived for the day.Other portable users have indicated they never had a problem. Just looking for some feedback?
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

mngonefishing

Re:Overnight Portable?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2003, 08:27 AM »
we have had some problems with our 8x16. some one broke in and cleaned out the place. i'm talking everything that wasn't nailed down and then some. that is the 2nd time it has happened in 6yrs. not on the same lake. the lakes were 120 miles apart. sorry not trying to scare you, its just that we have never had a problem before. now if i am not going to be out on the ice for more then a week i will take it off. most of the time now i just use my portable. its a two man and no i would not leave it out over night. unless i'm in it. ;D

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2003, 12:01 PM »
I wouldnt leave my portable out overnight either. People using it when I came back wouldnt bother me as much as people using it after stealing it.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

redneck

« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2003, 03:19 PM »
I live my shack unlocked with a note that says use anything you like just put it back. If you burn the wood replace it. Never had any problems. One time a gentleman left a case of beer and note. Said he had drop has car though and can't find his way off the lake said it saved his life.Make's you feel good to know you helped someone.Made a lot of good freinds this way.
Redneck

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2003, 10:59 AM »
last year I made a 4x8 portable and left it on the ice for a whole weekend without any problems. I did remove all my gear so as not to get angry finding the stuff missing. the lake I did this on was highfalls flowage in northeastern Wisconsin.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2003, 04:56 PM »
IMO you take a big risk leaving a portable shanty out on the ice without any uh "supervision". If your like me i dont have the cash to be replacing a shanty every year so if you want to take the risk its up to you. Basically though they make them portable and lightweight so you can enjoy taking them on and off the ice without too much effort. I would take that baby off every time i step off the ice. Just my 2 cents

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.