Author Topic: Favorite flasher  (Read 4502 times)

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
Favorite flasher
« on: Oct 04, 2023, 01:09 PM »
I’m in the market to get my kid a flasher was wonder what everyone’s favorite is? I’ve got the helix 5.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Favorite flasher
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2023, 01:38 PM »
The Helix is not a real flasher.  it's a digital emulation of a real flasher. :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2023, 02:28 PM »
Marcum.  If I got a new one right now, I’d get the M5LR. I’ve had the lx5 for a long time.  I don’t like their digital series and sold it.  I have a garmin package that I also don’t like.  I like a true flasher and Marcum response is instant with good target separation.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2023, 02:43 PM »
Marcum.  If I got a new one right now, I’d get the M5LR. I’ve had the lx5 for a long time.  I don’t like their digital series and sold it.  I have a garmin package that I also don’t like.  I like a true flasher and Marcum response is instant with good target separation.
I agree with the above…Marcum. I have a M5 I’m still using that hasn’t let me down. For my money, Marcum’s the ticket!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2023, 02:46 PM »
Go with a Vex or any non-digital finder if you want something problem free.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2023, 02:56 PM »
Vexilar FL 18 w/12 deg transducer ...low power and bottom zoom are quite good features and has stood the test of time.

Mills Fleet Farm usually has the best deal of the season in the past ..FL18 Pro Pack ...check daily

https://www.fleetfarm.com/

Keep an eye on this thread daily as well

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=331034.10710

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2023, 03:35 PM »
I've had the hummingbird ice 688 ci, which is basically the version of the Helix 5 before it came out. I've had it since 2016. It's still my only fish finder. I have broken the transducer twice, my fault both times. But replaced it.

It works great. I like having the option of looking at a graph, or switching to flasher mode. Though I hardly ever use flasher mode. With the graph you can see history, and if you're not looking at your screen every single second you can miss when a fish comes on your screen and might still only be a few feet from your bait. Also in terms of live response or lag I wouldn't say there is any. At least between the hummingbird and vexilars or other real flashers there's no difference in flasher mode in terms of instant response and fish separation. I've used friends vexilars and livesscopes.  Only thing I've used where I've experienced lag between what is happening on the screen and underwater is livescope.

I use it in summer and winter. And in graph mode I can tell what type of fish it is just by the mark that it's making and the way it is moving. The ability to have a map where I can mark my spot on my fish finder is also nice. I know nowadays it's also easy to do with a phone, but having it all bundled into the same machine makes it easy.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2023, 04:46 PM »
Any model of vexilar.jmo

Offline ryguy80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2023, 05:49 PM »
Vexilars are bulletproof and sip the battery, so you can go fishing for a whole weekend and then some on a lithium. Can’t go wrong with them. Have used the 20 and 28 on the ice.
YouTube - Wissota Fishing

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2023, 03:41 AM »
Appreciate it everyone just looking for opinions before I purchase. I never fished with one till three years ago.

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2023, 08:33 AM »
I would recommend that you get your son the same as what you have.  You are familiar with the operation and with how to interpret what you are seeing on the screen.  If you buy something different there will be a learning curve.  Also you have a parts machine if ever one of them stops functioning properly.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2023, 11:48 AM »
Not necessarily my "favorite" flasher, but one I'd recommend for a kid is the FLX12. Nice bright screen, and simple to learn and use, about as durable as it gets too.

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2023, 09:44 PM »
vexilar 18 are bulletproof  ;D ;D ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2023, 06:24 AM »

When I used flashers , I owned 2 an fl8 and a fl18 both units worked flawlessly,
 The 18 is a great unit with the 12degree

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 06, 2023, 10:10 AM »
Graph's like your Humminbird are the way to go.  It's nice to be able to mark spots and to have the history of a graph in addition to live view with the amplitude scope.  A flasher only shows you "live".  You can get an inexpensive Garmin Striker 4 for a couple hundred bucks.

Offline VanNoord

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 07, 2023, 08:45 PM »
Always run both a graph unit and traditional flasher IMO.
I have both a Garmin 7CV and Marcum LX7 graphs that I use with either a Vexilar FLX12 or Marcum M1L. All with lithium batteries.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Oct 07, 2023, 09:25 PM »
Always run both a graph unit and traditional flasher IMO.
I have both a Garmin 7CV and Marcum LX7 graphs that I use with either a Vexilar FLX12 or Marcum M1L. All with lithium batteries.

I ain't carrying both! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2023, 11:07 PM »
Me either! 😂

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2023, 07:28 AM »
I have a helix 5 and a helix7,still prefer to use my fl-18 for ice fishing. I can read what’s going on much better with the fl-18. Maybe it’s just me.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 08, 2023, 02:04 PM »
Is it just me? All the new “bells and whistles” seem to take away from the fishing experience.
At my age, I can remember ice fishing being a matter of guesswork and luck! No power auger, no electronics, just chip a hole, drop down the bait, and hope for the best! I’d still rather do it that way, than fish via TV!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Oct 08, 2023, 02:20 PM »

I hear you skifisher but I only wish to use my spud for testing ice density these days 😃

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Oct 08, 2023, 04:16 PM »
Is it just me? All the new “bells and whistles” seem to take away from the fishing experience.
At my age, I can remember ice fishing being a matter of guesswork and luck! No power auger, no electronics, just chip a hole, drop down the bait, and hope for the best! I’d still rather do it that way, than fish via TV!
Yea this will be my third season with one I do like them in bigger ponds and lakes but don’t really need one on the river.

Offline VanNoord

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Oct 08, 2023, 05:14 PM »
why not? It's foolish to only go out there with one set of electronics.
Use one for hole hopping, but always have two going at the base camp.
If I'm hole hopping I'm carrying one. But I mostly drive on the ice with my SUV so I have everything at my disposal.
If I walk on somewhere, I always have 2 flashers in the sled as well. They are so bloody lightweight with the lithium batteries now...

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 08, 2023, 06:38 PM »
I run a Lowrance graph… it has the flasher mode option in it too.
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 08, 2023, 07:37 PM »

I'm not that old... (yet  :P) but I don't haul any electronic gadgetry out with me. I do keep a couple clip on depth weights in the tackle box, though.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 08, 2023, 08:28 PM »
I'm not that old... (yet  :P) but I don't haul any electronic gadgetry out with me. I do keep a couple clip on depth weights in the tackle box, though.
…you sound like the kind of guy i could fish with!

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 09, 2023, 05:43 PM »
FL 8

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 09, 2023, 06:05 PM »
 I were to buy another "real" flasher it'd have to be brushless. The hum of my old marcum seems so loud after being spoiled by the silence of my Garmin

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 10, 2023, 12:05 AM »
Marcum M5 for me.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 10, 2023, 08:19 AM »

Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.