Author Topic: Best bibs  (Read 4406 times)

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Best bibs
« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2022, 10:45 PM »
My first two priorities for bibs are Gore-Tex and uninsulated. Gore-Tex because none of the other waterproof breathable fabrics perform as well and uninsulated so I can pick my base and mid layers to get the right insulation for the day. Uninsulated means no floatation because the foam is insulation. Next is how they fit and is the stitching going to hold up. Last time I bought bibs I chose Cabela's guidewear. That was in 2015 and I still use them at least two days a week from December to  April. 4 of those winters I worked at a ski resort and wore them 5 days a week for work plus any fishing or free skiing days. I would buy them again without hesitation. They do have a couple weaknesses. The pockets are made of such thin material that they ripped out after a couple years and the first time you need to take a leak you will realize that the zipper could be better designed.
X2+
Uninsulated Gore-tex is the way to go. It's a 12 month of the year garment. It depends on what layers (or not) you have under them. Comfortable on a cool July sunrise on Lake Superior with just everyday clothes under. Also comfortable on the same lake in February with layers of fleece, down, and merino wool. I'm currently wearing Grundens Bouy X parka and bibs. I couldn't be happier with the performance.

Offline Nitro_372

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 03, 2022, 11:59 PM »
striker predators for me, love being able to kneel on the ice and snow and stay dry :tipup:

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 04, 2022, 05:12 PM »
I love my Clam Rise bibs.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Salty Ice Queen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 04, 2022, 05:28 PM »
Striker ice predator  bibs..I love them.,..with nice strong textured knee padded area,..lots of pockets for everthing,..everything,.. insulation,..sure float technology,..vents to open and you can unzip the legs some for extra cooldown,..cool down,.. a long pull.😎

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 04, 2022, 08:07 PM »
anyone have the eskimo bibs?

I had the Striker predator bibs and I liked them, one of my friends wanted them so I sold them and got the Eskimo Legend bibs and I love them.

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 05, 2022, 07:50 AM »
I just retired my Striker Hardwater suit after almost 10 seasons.  Great suit but a little stiff and bulky.  The last couple seasons, the straps lost elasticity and I was constantly hiking it up.  Will keep it for guests.

Replaced it with a Strikemaster Pro.  I'm very impressed so far.  Warm, flexible, and I love the gusseted crotch.  Excellent inseam adjustment and fantastic straps.

Great price through Up North Sports.

Also considered the Eskimo suits but none were on sale at the time.

Suits have evolved over the last few years.  Eskimo and Strikemaster are using high performance materials in the higher-end suits. 

Striker is offering the Apex series but they're big $.

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 07, 2022, 02:57 PM »
was just browsing UpNorthSports.com and they have some tremendous sales going on now, trying to decide between Striker Predator, Striker Hardwater or Eskimo Legends.  Very helpful feedback on this thread so far, now i just need to pick one  ???
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 08, 2022, 11:25 AM »
was just browsing UpNorthSports.com and they have some tremendous sales going on now, trying to decide between Striker Predator, Striker Hardwater or Eskimo Legends.  Very helpful feedback on this thread so far, now i just need to pick one  ???
I got the hardwater a few years ago and they are very warm. Even down to -20c, if you are moving around you are going to sweat. I usually have to open the side of the legs while setting up so the heat can get out. I want to try the Eskimo Legends though.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 08, 2022, 11:31 AM »
I am on my second season with the striker predators. I don’t think they are bulky. Easy on off. The little hand wipe things that turned me off of buying them are actually awesome and I no longer carry a golf towel. Great bibs so far.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Feb 08, 2022, 11:40 AM »
I am on my second season with the striker predators. I don’t think they are bulky. Easy on off. The little hand wipe things that turned me off of buying them are actually awesome and I no longer carry a golf towel. Great bibs so far.

I was turned off by the thigh wipes...but that was my own fault ..those things are a saw dust magnet ..but they are quite handy for fish slime removal .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 08, 2022, 12:51 PM »
I ended up purchasing the Striker Hardwaters. They were $81 off on UpNorthSports and they give you a $20 voucher when spending $200 or more so i was able to get a new walleye Rod too  :D
Can't wait to try both out

Offline xiaolu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 08, 2022, 01:29 PM »
Striker Ice (with several models for different climate: Trekker, Predator, Hardwater, Climate...) bibs, in my opinion are among the best if not THE best. I love these bibs with adjustable length/inseam, and with zipper/opendings on the side (along both legs).... Period :-)
Mostly ice fishing Lake Simcoe in southern Ontario, Canada, for lake trout (lakers), lake whitefish (whities), and jumbo yellow perch:-)

Offline jcs379

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 08, 2022, 04:43 PM »
simms

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #43 on: Feb 08, 2022, 06:27 PM »
Striker Predators are perfect for the NorthEast IMHO! Like someone else said I rarely wear the jacket unless single digits or very windy. When in the 40’s I just wear thin “lounge” pants underneath. Love the knee padding and thicker cordura around the lower legs that sheds the ice and slush kicked up by the auger. Nice to have thicker material down there to hold up to wear and tear too. Don’t think they are cumbersome at all. Just what you want in an ice fishing bib.  @)

RuttNutt, you the guy that tangled with the Rattler? My Predators have worked great for years. Fit is key, best of luck.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 08, 2022, 07:47 PM »
RuttNutt, you the guy that tangled with the Rattler? My Predators have worked great for years. Fit is key, best of luck.

Yes. Unfortunately that would be me................ ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #45 on: Feb 09, 2022, 05:55 AM »
Another vote for Striker. I have the hardwater and love them. Will be adding a jacket soon. One of my friends is a guide and has a clam sponsorship yet he still wears his striker suit out on the ice. He prefers it to the clam products. Im tough on my gear and it has held up beautifully. Also striker will send you repair kits for free. Another friend melted a nice hole being to close to his heater. He called and had the repair kit within a couple days.

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 28, 2022, 10:27 AM »
Hi all, just wanted to give some feedback from my new bibs.  Unfortunately they were out of stock on the Striker Hardwaters so I swapped for Striker Climates.  Wow, these are awesome. A little bulky but really all you will ever need for ice fishing bibs. I could not be happier with my purchase. Upnorthsports.com was really awesome to deal with too. Big props to their reps. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #47 on: Feb 28, 2022, 12:38 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Feb 28, 2022, 01:18 PM »
I have the Striker Hardwater bibs and like them a lot.  They're a bit warm but you can open the zippers some to vent the extra heat on warm days and when it's really cold you stay toasty warm.  The other thing I like about them is the heavier material so they're going to hold up better than other bibs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.