Author Topic: Anyone have a propane auger? how do you like it?  (Read 4452 times)

Offline kgpcr

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone have a propane auger? how do you like it?
« on: Aug 12, 2021, 11:48 PM »
Time for a new auger. i was thinking propane. anyone have one?

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Anyone have a propane auger? how do you like it?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2021, 08:18 AM »
I have a Jiffy Pro 4 8". I liked it much lighter than the gas and no gas and oil to mess with. Having said that I switched to an electric set up two seasons ago and never looked back!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2021, 08:28 AM »
There's about a gazillion threads already on this.....or do a search function.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=73.0
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2021, 09:47 AM »
I have a Jiffy Pro 4 8". I liked it much lighter than the gas and no gas and oil to mess with. Having said that I switched to an electric set up two seasons ago and never looked back!
Keep it safe! JDL

There's about a gazillion threads already on this.....or do a earch function.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=73.0

NUFF SAID

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2021, 10:50 AM »
I don't know why anyone would buy anything other than electric at this point but maybe that's just me. So much lighter, smaller, easier and no fuel to be concerned with.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2021, 11:37 AM »
Milwaukee 2804 Drill and what ever size auger you like. I have 6" and 7" but could run much bigger if I wanted.
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2021, 12:45 PM »
Well since you asking about propane augers..they are pretty nice when the ice gets real thick.i have a jiffy pro 4 lite with 8" and 5" bit.its nice not having to clean the carb and it will start in 2 pulls.yes the electric auger and drill auger setup is the newest craze and i have that too but if your in a area with crazy thick ice I would still stick with gas or propane augers.i have not used my jiffy prop auger in 3 years because we rarely get ice over 8" anymore in mi.but i know my jiffy will fire right up after sitting that long.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2021, 01:42 PM »
Time for a new auger. i was thinking propane. anyone have one?

Propane….Everyone I know that had one….got rid of it. They worked fine, but we’re nothing great.

Most people I know have went to electric drill setups, because they are less hassle  then propane and gas.

A propane auger is pretty much combining all the issues with gas and electric augers into one…..without the benefits of either.

Anymore it seems like about 90% of the augers I see are electric with about 90% of the electric setups being drill augers.

I was one of the 1st guys that went to an electric drill setup when milwaukee released the 725in/lb drill. I did upgrade to a 1200in/lb drill. I have ran 6in,7in,8in, and 10in hand augers on the drill setups. Worked great.

I will never go back to gas. Electric as come so far the last 5-10yrs that it out preforms the others. Mostly because of the battery technologies, and the development of high torque electric drills and motors that are brushless.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2021, 01:53 PM »
And awaaaaaaaaay we go!   :woot:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2021, 01:56 PM »
🚂

Offline kgpcr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2021, 02:43 PM »
I live in Northern MN and with thick ice we have here i am not sure battery is teh way to go. Does propane work well?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Aug 13, 2021, 03:19 PM »
I live in Northern MN and with thick ice we have here i am not sure battery is teh way to go. Does propane work well?
Used mine up to 20 inches. There are places that get over 36" out here but by the time it is that thick the fishing dies off.
<===Lefty===

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2021, 03:26 PM »

A buddy I fish with has a 10” one and it works fine.  Fished with him last season and it was -14* with 20” of ice and no problem.  But when it’s that cold have a full tank and a warm backup… ;).  Half tanks or less seem to freeze up…
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2021, 03:34 PM »
Some say to take the tank off and keep the propane warm. Kind of like keeping a battery warm. I don't really know since I still use a gasser and pull a rope once or twice. I guess I'm not willing to spend hundreds of dollars to change things up at this time.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2021, 03:45 PM »
Well if you have one that works perfectly fine why would you change??? :unsure:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2021, 03:49 PM »
That's a question I would ask.  ;D ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Aug 13, 2021, 04:03 PM »

You should add your location to your profile ...helps others give advice/information pertaining your geographical region/area.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Aug 13, 2021, 04:05 PM »
That's a question I would ask.  ;D ;)

Well kgpcr asked about propane. Not how many pulls it takes your gasser …
  He might not even have one and wants an honest opinion on a propane..?????? 

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Aug 13, 2021, 04:08 PM »
You should add your location to your profile ...helps others give advice/information pertaining your geographical region/area.

Wait,  didn’t he say northern MN??
Maybe not in his profile yet but he said.. ;)

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Aug 13, 2021, 04:34 PM »
  Wait,  didn’t he say northern MN??
Maybe not in his profile yet but he said.. ;)

For the future questions that may arise .

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Aug 13, 2021, 06:02 PM »
 pfff northern minnesota... i'm in northern saskatchewan for cripes sake and electric works great. 

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Aug 13, 2021, 09:11 PM »
I have an 10” Eskimo that has been great over the past few years - very easy to use and always starts right up - really happy with it.

This year I am adding a drill setup for early ice or quick outings - the Eskimo is heavy.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Aug 14, 2021, 07:24 AM »

I live in N/W Ontario, I imagine our ice is at least as thick as yours, I have kept my gas auger as a backup, but have not used it for the last two years.  I use the drill on a 8" auger in the permy ice shack and an Electric Strikemaster when going to other lakes, no need for me to have to deal with the hassle of starting a gas engine, these electric units have no issue with thick ice, just put on extensions like you do with gas augers.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Aug 14, 2021, 08:36 AM »
Couple things 1) If weight is an issue ..Propane is as heavy or heavier then gas. 2) Maintenance/storage appears to be a win for propane over gas. 3)Fuel propane wins for convenience and can always have a back up handy. My concern is propane has had its heyday some time back ...will parts be an issue should something need replacing down the road..some gas parts are not easy to come by . Just poking around I could not locate any bargain/deals on propane . If going for propane I would suggest an Eskimo ..why..because Jiffy turns counter clockwise ...meaning it is donkey in a field of horses .

If electric/cordless is an option for you ...some other advice ..Stick with the major brands ..StrikeMaster and/or ION for dedicated units why ..It seems the other "manufacturers" are out of business but there item are still out there..usually with small amphoured batteries ...some at a real bargain..batteries may be obsolete down the road .As for cordless drill  stick with Milwaukee (2804 and 2803 models) and Dewalt(991 996 997 998 999 models) and 5 ah batteries. ..There are several other brands  cordless drills that fit the specifications (1/2 inch brushless with 800 in/lbs of torque or better) but these have not been put through the tried and tested regiment like the Milwaukee and Dewalt brands by IS memberships have ...plus  they usually have 4 ah batteries and only one at that.

Offline Daylen547

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Aug 14, 2021, 12:19 PM »
From what I’ve heard electric is the way to go!

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Aug 14, 2021, 12:37 PM »
With my DeWalt 996 and a 8 inch lazer auger  with a 6amp hour battery..I can drill 2 holes before a gas or propane auger is started and 3-4 by the time they cut 1
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline kgpcr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Aug 14, 2021, 03:14 PM »
Well kgpcr asked about propane. Not how many pulls it takes your gasser …
  He might not even have one and wants an honest opinion on a propane..??????

Good point!! DONE!

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Aug 14, 2021, 07:33 PM »
My brother has had his since 2013 and hasn't really had any issues with his. I've ran his a few times and that thing is a beast. As far as I know the only problems he has had was hoses popping off here and there which was an easy fix, and losing the connect pin a couple of times in which he just replaced it with a hitch pin. Other than that it runs tip-top as long as the propane tanks are kept warm.
We both live in northern Mn. as well and as far as the drill setups go, I switched to one last year and they work just fine in thick ice. I would get about 15-20 holes on the hammer drill setup in about 24in. of ice and the drill would get noticeably warm, in which case I just let it cool off for awhile before drilling anymore holes.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #28 on: Aug 14, 2021, 09:24 PM »

Electric will do just fine up there. Better then propane.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Aug 15, 2021, 07:32 AM »
I had one before I got my first Ion. Bought it, put it together, lifted it, and sold it all in 2 days. I’m way to old for for that kind of weight.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.