Author Topic: stumper 1 - poachers 0  (Read 4410 times)

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
stumper 1 - poachers 0
« on: Oct 31, 2006, 11:34 PM »
This will be long...The other day my neighbor called me to tell me that he had found a dead buck with its rack cut off,north of my house. My GF had seen a vehicle go down there a couple nights ago ,but all she could say was that it was a blazer. Tonight as we were pulling in the yard ,they drove by again and she said it looked like the same vehicle. I stepped out on the deck and saw them drive out into the pasture were the deer was laying so I jumped in the car and drove down there with the lights off. They were sitting there looking at the deer when I got down there. I probably shoulda just sat with my lights off ,but I turned them on and they took off east across the field. This is the area with the gravel pits I ride in so I knew there was another way out on the east side so I took chase. They evidently didnt know they could get out that way so they cut through the pits back the way they came in. When they got on the road they killed the lights and took off WFO. I hung back because I didnt want to have them stack it up because I was chaseing them. At this point I was on the phone with the game warden giving directions to our location.The ygot to the paved road a 1/2 mile ahead of me and turned the lights back on.GAME ON!! I dropped the hammer on the Cobalt and closed in fast. This is when I found out I HATE ANTI LOCK BRAKES!!! Just as I was getting close enough to read their plate they turned left headed into town,I had to back up cuz I blew on through the corner. This gave them a good 1/2 mile lead again and I told the GFP that I was backing off because I didnt want to chase them through town with the trick or treaters out.I stopped and waited until they turned and followed until I could tell they stopped or turned off and I headed in their direction. BINGO,there they were behind the Honey company.I went around the block and pulled up behnd them blocking them in. 30 seconds later 2 sheriff deputies pulled up and pulled them out of the blazer.Along with 2 cases of beer and 3 bottles of wiskey. LOL,They were all MINORS.They also found 2 loaded guns in it as well.BWBAHAHAHAHA.The bad thing is that they know where I live so tommorow I am putting up survillence cameras.Warden said I will be recieving a reward!! WOOOHOOO!!

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
Re: stumper 1 - poachers 0
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2006, 01:01 AM »
 :thumbsup: I am sitting here reading this :roflmao: Way to go stumper, sounds like you need a couple of dogs around and some motion lights. I guess you will have some extra cash to pay for the cameras from the reward ??? Hope those kids learned their lesson. After this episode I don't think those kids knew who they were messing with :woot: and I'm sure this is the last time they will bother you, if not you got their number :callcops:

Stay safe

Fishin Fireman

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2006, 05:27 AM »
WTG sounds like an adventure. Its great you took some action :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap:
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2006, 06:44 AM »
Good job stumper, I hope those a@@@ol@s get jail time and lose their privelege to own guns and to hunt for life.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline crappie78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2006, 07:14 AM »
Way to go stumper  many people would not of put the effort you did in catching those idiots.  I hope for your sake they don't come back and try something else.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2006, 08:10 AM »
We caught 2 "road hunters" last year who tresspassed onto our land after a buck. They got fined 250 dollars by the judge. The next day our driveway was full of roofing nails. We are going to use the nails to build a new shanty. The road hunters were both well into their 50's so they knew better. Unfortunately the gene pool around us is very, very shallow.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline RiverRunner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2006, 08:20 AM »
the gene pool around us is very, very shallow.

I think the gene pool involving any poachers is very, very shallow. ;D

Good for you for stumper, for doing your part! Many people would be too intimidated and not want to get involved. We need more stumpers in the world.

Stumper in '08!

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2006, 08:27 AM »
Glad it worked out the way it did.  Chasing drunk kids with loaded guns, could have easily taken a turn for the worse. 

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2006, 09:00 AM »
Glad to hear everything went OK and they were caught !
What became of the deer that they shot !
It should be donated to a shelter or charitable kitchen .

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2006, 10:11 AM »
The deer was killed about a week earlier and was rotted by the time it was found(70 degree days). From what I have heard so far,they were 15 to 16 yrs old. I am installing a wide angle survielence  camera when I get home tonight, it would make my day if they came back and tried something.

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2006, 10:18 AM »
Great job stumper! Good to see there are people that care enough to do something about it. I have the DNR on speed dial on my cell because of a problem at my parents farm a few years back, but I never got the chance to meet the kids that were causing the trouble.

:clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:
Jiffy Ice Drills Pro-Staff
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2006, 11:40 AM »
Great job. Thanks for standing up for what is right.

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2006, 11:59 AM »
Excellent job Stumper. Proud to have you as a fellow member of Iceshanty!!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2006, 01:07 PM »
GREAT JOB STUMP, from here CYA and make sure you keep an eye on things.
Hate to say it but you did they right thing and now you may have to protect yourself and your property.
THANKS and hope ya don't have any BS from this!@
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2006, 01:21 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys,I don't really expect any problems from them ,but you never know. If they do try somthing they are REALLY gonna be ticked when the law shows up at there door with a video tape in hand,lol. I actually kinda expect to get a little prob from the parents being upset that I turned them in,dont know why ,but I just think it will happen.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2006, 01:50 PM »
My hat's off to you Stumper. We have a couple guys in WNY who alerted the law to a couple of salmon snaggers and stopped their raping of our fisheries. It's a good thing guys like you and they have the kahunas to do the right thing.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2006, 02:07 PM »
Good job stumper!!!!
In Vt. 15/16 yr. olds would be charged as an adult and their information would be public--arrest reports/court documents including OFFENDER'S Addresses.  If it's that way in S.D. you also know where they live.  I would think that a pre-emptive visit to talk to the little poachers about your residence's well being and how being hassled by kids is a favorite sport of yours, because it always goes your way...etc may very well scare the hell out of 'em if you pay this visit while they're planning revenge.  I paid this visit to a coupla punks who were hassling an elderly aunt of mine and got favorable results.  Or maybe you'd rather let it die--up to you
Good job thawrting poachers

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2006, 07:36 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys,I don't really expect any problems from them ,but you never know. If they do try somthing they are REALLY gonna be ticked when the law shows up at there door with a video tape in hand,lol. I actually kinda expect to get a little prob from the parents being upset that I turned them in,dont know why ,but I just think it will happen.
Bottom line is ... the parent's can bit#h but what the kid's did was inexcusable and no problem of yours . If something like that were to happen on their property I'm sure they would do the same thing and if not you know where the kids got their ethics and conduct from . Kudos to you for a job well done !

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2006, 07:48 PM »
Way to go stumper. The parents should be thanking you before things got out of hand. Who knows what  they could have done with all that booze and guns. Major trouble brewing. If the parents do happen to nag you just ask them where they got the GUNS & BOOZE in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Kim     :flex: :flex: :flex: :flex: :flex: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2006, 07:57 PM »
The unfortunate part is the only charges they face will be the weapons and minor in possession maybe a tresspass charge if your lucky .
They wont be able to prove a game violation . They'll shotgun them with a bunch of charges and hope one or two stick .
A lot will depend on how prominant their parents are in the community too . You know how that works .
It would be interesting to hear the outcome though . Good Luck

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2006, 08:49 PM »
From what I have heard from GFP, they dont think it was these 3 punks ,but they told him who told them were to find the deer,sounds like they were bragging about it to these kids. He cut off the head ,so if he ,by chance can find the rack in their possesion he can match it up and charge them.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2006, 08:51 PM »
stumper!  :bow: :bow: In my neck of the woods. Family, neighbor's, and friends will usually remind the offenders, off and on, ( politely) of course!  That if anything happens, with anybody in the AREA! THEY WILL BE THE FIRST ONES, THAT WILL BE CONTACTED!   ;)  Just like school, it's on their permanent record!  :(

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2006, 09:20 PM »
Nice job Stumper !!!!!!! ;D

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2006, 10:10 PM »
Good job bagging them dirtbags >:(

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2006, 10:39 PM »
From what I have heard from GFP, they dont think it was these 3 punks ,but they told him who told them were to find the deer,sounds like they were bragging about it to these kids. He cut off the head ,so if he ,by chance can find the rack in their possesion he can match it up and charge them.
I agree 100% that if they did in fact kill that animal they need to be charged .
I would guess though that even if they were in possession of the rack it would be hard if not impossible to charge them with poaching and have it stick in court . Reason ... all they have to say is they found the dead animal and took it's rack and that does not constitute poaching . Why did they run you ask ... they knew if they were caught with the guns and liquor they would be in trouble . The guns kind of give them away but it still don't prove they did anything < YET > . If you were to follow a jurors rules they could not be found guilty unfortunately .
I hope if they did do it they are punished to the fullest extent of the law though .

Offline Dakotapup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2006, 10:51 PM »
I am new to the site..  This was one of the first things i have read on here, and that just blew my mind on how people (poachers) have the audacity to do something like that.  I hope they do get charged as adults, names in the town papers.  Hopefully their friends that hangout do not have the same type of immaturity has they did.  My hat goes off to you, with your bravery and doing the right thing.  Hopefully the reward for you will be something worthwhile.  Heck you might even get a lifetime outdoorsmen license.!!!!!  Again congrats to you on being a good citizen......

Ryan

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 02, 2006, 02:48 PM »
I agree 100% that if they did in fact kill that animal they need to be charged .
I would guess though that even if they were in possession of the rack it would be hard if not impossible to charge them with poaching and have it stick in court . Reason ... all they have to say is they found the dead animal and took it's rack and that does not constitute poaching . Why did they run you ask ... they knew if they were caught with the guns and liquor they would be in trouble . The guns kind of give them away but it still don't prove they did anything < YET > . If you were to follow a jurors rules they could not be found guilty unfortunately . I hope if they did do it they are punished to the fullest extent of the law though .

=-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure about the laws you have there but in Ohio, you cannot posses a deer mount or a rack without the metal check tag inn your possession.

May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #27 on: Nov 02, 2006, 04:49 PM »

same thing in Nebraska for a mount but you can have the rack separate of the mount .
I think it's the same here .
A loose set of horns don't make much sense though because a lot of people hunt for sheds after they have been dropped .

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #28 on: Nov 03, 2006, 06:38 PM »
OK, This is what I have heard.... Driver was 18 and this was his 2nd DUI,3rd underage consumption,possesion of a loaded firarm while intoxicated,carless driving and reckless endangerment ;D. the other 2 were charged with underage consumption and booted off all sport teams they were part of. Driver gave the gfp the name of the shooter,so I am still waiting to here about that.

Offline Gary_602z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 03, 2006, 07:25 PM »
My buddy lives on a secluded dirt road in a great deer area. We are always chasing poachers off. One time we thought we had caught some but it was just some kids parking! ;D ;D

Gary

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.