Author Topic: New Clam Plate Power drive gear box  (Read 4443 times)

Offline 23mako

• IceShanty Rookie
New Clam Plate Power drive gear box
« on: Jan 13, 2021, 03:32 PM »
Anyone upgrade their clam plate  with the new power drive gear box let us know what your thoughts are. was thinking of upgrading but for 80 bucks not sure if is worth it to do it now or wait until my gen 2 gear box needs replacing

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New Clam Plate Power drive gear box
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:38 PM »
I bought the new set-up with plate for $139 but no ice to try it on yet.  I am hoping it allows for 8 inch holes as easily as 4s or 6s.  The whole set-up is kind of short with my Mora.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:41 PM »
I added one to my one drill plate and then paired that with the new 8.5 inch k drill this season. lets just say it is nice but don't expect to win speed races with it. there was definitely more torque with it and the 8.5 inch turned fine but it is slow. going to put my 8 inch lazer on my other plate that also has the new gear box too and see how it compares to the 8.5 inch K Drill. I also have a third plate set up with a 6 inch lazer and no gear box on it. that was my main auger when I was fishing gills and crappies the last few seasons. I have made the switch to running K-Drill augers this season over the lazers and have really liked them so far.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:03 PM »
My second generation Clam Plate works just fine. That one never had a wobble and until something major goes wrong to make it non-repairable why spend $89.00 for the latest gearbox addition to convert my Clamp Plate with the new gearbox or spend $139.00 to $169.00 for the completely new Clam Plate with the new gearbox already installed.  They advertise longer battery life and less drill torque required with the new gearbox.  But manufacturers are always going to come out with the next model as long as there are people to buy there products.  That's how R&D works to keep companies profitable.  If it isn't broke don't mess with it.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:30 PM »
I am not exactly sure what the intended purpose of the new gear box is ...I know the first generation gear box was a failure ...but that was at a time when cordless drills were very limited in torque ..and the battery power/life was also limited and its purpose was to help with underpowered drills and bigger(8') auger drill units Like the first gen Milwaukee/Dewalt drills . This new gear box looks to do the intended job of the first gen model ..but cordless drills as well as batterys have come leaps and bounds ..with lots of choices/options with extreme torque/power . I have yet to see see Clam claim to fill the niche of a 10" auger using the Clam Power Gear Drive ..which would be a nice niche to fill .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2021, 08:48 AM »
I put the gear box on my Clam Plate last week. It does really slow down the speed, but it works just fine. Only lost 1 bar on my battery where I probably would have lost 2 bars without it.
I agree with hardwater diehard it's not really necessary unless you have an underpowered drill/ low amp batteries or can get a hold of a 10" auger.
I found the gearbox on sale for $60 at Home Depot of all places, I figured why not.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2021, 09:03 AM »
I put the gear box on my Clam Plate last week. It does really slow down the speed, but it works just fine. Only lost 1 bar on my battery where I probably would have lost 2 bars without it.
I agree with hardwater diehard it's not really necessary unless you have an underpowered drill/ low amp batteries or can get a hold of a 10" auger.
I found the gearbox on sale for $60 at Home Depot of all places, I figured why not.

Maybe a wheelhouse angler ..wanting a 10 in hole ..less chips flying ...wheelhouse guys may also already have a 10" gas auger ...granted steel bit ..but think for a $139 buck even with a so so cordless drill and/or small battery capacity ..and you drill limited (wheelhouse) holes ... this may be the niche ..but so far not a lot of video on the Geared Clam option ..the Clam Plate was a game changer ..this could also be ..but the PR campaigners seems to be off their game.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2021, 11:53 AM »
Anyone upgrade their clam plate  with the new power drive gear box let us know what your thoughts are. was thinking of upgrading but for 80 bucks not sure if is worth it to do it now or wait until my gen 2 gear box needs replacing

I was thinking about it too, since I run an 8" auger a lot. Then I saw how slow they turn, which clam does not show in the videos. It is absurdly slow! I dont race on the ice at all, couple seconds more doesnt matter to me one bit... but we are talking 3 times slower and the auger just CRAWLS. I would say its half the speed of my old gas auger even, about equal to the speed of a sharp hand auger. So if you are just going to drill a couple holes for tipups or in your hard shack with a 10" bit, this is PERFECT for you! If you run 8" or actually drill more than 10-15 holes a day, think twice.... might be worth putting that money towards a spare battery assuming your drill can turn the 8". Unless of course you just dont care about speed in the slightest, suppose it would work good for you there as well.

Most high end drills (fuel, octane, etc) are rated 550rpm (no load) on low. So with the gear box you are talking 150rpm (no load). What I saw in person was barely more than one turn of the auger per second.

There is a reason NONE of the clam videos that I could find (them or the sponsored anglers) would show it actually cutting ice. A couple of the clam pros showed it spinning in the air (no load) but that was it.

EYECONICFISHING

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2021, 12:00 PM »

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2021, 03:08 PM »
I have the first generation clam plate. Apparently it will not work on it. Looking for suggestions. Otherwise I'll just return it. Not that big a deal but??
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline 23mako

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2021, 12:07 PM »
I added one to my one drill plate and then paired that with the new 8.5 inch k drill this season. lets just say it is nice but don't expect to win speed races with it. there was definitely more torque with it and the 8.5 inch turned fine but it is slow. going to put my 8 inch lazer on my other plate that also has the new gear box too and see how it compares to the 8.5 inch K Drill. I also have a third plate set up with a 6 inch lazer and no gear box on it. that was my main auger when I was fishing gills and crappies the last few seasons. I have made the switch to running K-Drill augers this season over the lazers and have really liked them so far.

my buddy picked one up and will be using it this weekend. I agree the setup is short which is why i put an extension on mine but it does add some weight

Offline 23mako

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2021, 12:14 PM »
I am not exactly sure what the intended purpose of the new gear box is ...I know the first generation gear box was a failure ...but that was at a time when cordless drills were very limited in torque ..and the battery power/life was also limited and its purpose was to help with underpowered drills and bigger(8') auger drill units Like the first gen Milwaukee/Dewalt drills . This new gear box looks to do the intended job of the first gen model ..but cordless drills as well as batterys have come leaps and bounds ..with lots of choices/options with extreme torque/power . I have yet to see see Clam claim to fill the niche of a 10" auger using the Clam Power Gear Drive ..which would be a nice niche to fill .

I have the gen 2 as well on 8" strikemaster and  no issue so will also probably weight until i have an issue prior to the upgrade. but was also thinking if it is better for the drill it be a good investment to protect my new M18 drill

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2021, 12:26 PM »
I have the first generation clam plate. Apparently it will not work on it. Looking for suggestions. Otherwise I'll just return it. Not that big a deal but??

worked on original gear box .

Offline conococheague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2021, 04:23 PM »
I bought a clam plate two years after not finding them available the season before.  Didn’t have safe ice last year.  How do I know if my clam plate is a gen 1 or a gen 2?  I haven’t set it up yet and recently bought the new gearbox for it and plan to set it up in the next week.  I sure hope it’s compatible.  I plan to install it on my 8” Mora.  I haven’t used it in years as I bought an 8” Lazer and it’s been a great hand auger.  However my buddies all use cordless drills now and the speed that they can drill a series of holes for tip-ups and jigging is something I want.  Thanks

Conococheague

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2021, 04:40 PM »
I bought a clam plate two years after not finding them available the season before.  Didn’t have safe ice last year.  How do I know if my clam plate is a gen 1 or a gen 2?  I haven’t set it up yet and recently bought the new gearbox for it and plan to set it up in the next week.  I sure hope it’s compatible.  I plan to install it on my 8” Mora.  I haven’t used it in years as I bought an 8” Lazer and it’s been a great hand auger.  However my buddies all use cordless drills now and the speed that they can drill a series of holes for tip-ups and jigging is something I want.  Thanks

Conococheague

If our plate requires you to remove your chuck from the drill its a Gen 1..also if it has only two bolts holding on the bearing housing its a Gen 1 ..if you have the right drill ..the gear box is not needed ...unless you are running an under torqued drill..or going to a 10 inch auger no need for the gear box.

What make and model drill do you have ? What amp hour batteries do you have ?

these are the drills most used/recomended

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Dewalt DCD999 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Ridgid Octane  R8611506B must use 6ah or better Octane battery to avoid cut out issues

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs.

No Load RPM Range of 0-550 RPM on Speed Setting 1

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2021, 11:16 AM »
If you are using an auger with shaver blades and no center point this is a must have. The slower rpm and torque will help the blade bite the ice better and not walk on you.

Offline conococheague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2021, 01:30 PM »
The drill I currently have for household use is a Ryobi P251.  18V brushless hammer drill with 750 in-lbs of torque.  It's not on the list above but was hoping to use until I buy a dedicated drill for ice (leaning toward the Ridgid Octane hammer drill w/1300 in - lbs. of torque).  My thought was that with the gearbox it would survive a season of fishing without destroying it.  I wouldn't consider it without the gearbox but the mechanical advantage would lessen the work load on it I'm hoping.  Any thoughts or experience with this drill?  Thanks.

Conococheague

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2021, 01:50 PM »
The drill I currently have for household use is a Ryobi P251.  18V brushless hammer drill with 750 in-lbs of torque.  It's not on the list above but was hoping to use until I buy a dedicated drill for ice (leaning toward the Ridgid Octane hammer drill w/1300 in - lbs. of torque).  My thought was that with the gearbox it would survive a season of fishing without destroying it.  I wouldn't consider it without the gearbox but the mechanical advantage would lessen the work load on it I'm hoping.  Any thoughts or experience with this drill?  Thanks.

Conococheague

I was surprised (see video) at the performance ..your current drill with the Geared Clam Plate should be fine..if your not a run and gunner it could be the all the set up you will ever need . I am a Milwaukee fanboy ..easier to find ..you can piece meal it together or get a kit w/two 5 ah batteries ...and deals within the last couple months have been fantastic . The Ridgid needs the Octane 6ah or 9ah battery to perform well ..the Ridged hardly goes on sale ..and if so it with 3ah battery...

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2021, 02:18 PM »

Conococheague

I used a p251 for two seasons. Its slow and its heavy but it worked. You really need the Lithium+ HP batteries to make their brushless HP tools perform well, but maybe not with the gear box. I will say it will absolutely crawl with the gearbox, its a slow drill to begin with. I used it on a 6" lazer which it did ok with, until last year when I started using my 8". It would kick out of gear every once n a while and just act "not right". I knew it was on its last leg... then this season, first time out with the 6" bit it wouldnt drill a hole. Tried all my batts, just would stop half way through. I went and bought a milwaukee fuel 2803 and man is it an awesome drill. So small, so light, so FAST, and it never slows down with my 8" bit even. With the 6" its ridiculously easy.

Milwaukee fuel 2804 kit is expensive, but if you add it up its not even more expensive than the ryobi when its all over.. the ryobi is $180 with one 4ah battery and charger. the fuel is $299 with two 5ah batteries a charger and a hard case. Just the extra 5ah milwaukee battery is $149.99 on its own.... With two 5ah batteries you will drill a lot of holes.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2021, 02:40 PM »

Conococheague

Mine has survived multiple seasons with a 7" lazer and an 8" mora.  Even though it could use a little help with an 8" I'd skip the gearbox. It's a slow drill the way it is, at 3.6 to 1 you'd probably be looking at 3 to 4 seconds per inch cut.  Plus the gearbox is barely cheaper than a bare tool replacement would be.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2021, 03:44 PM »
One of the best deals out there now ..use code 271099 for $20 off...you could sign up for their Emails that may give you an even better discount ...did you add the gear box you have now to an existing plate or was it a" geared kit " ?

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200712404_200712404

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2021, 10:18 AM »
If you are using an auger with shaver blades and no center point this is a must have. The slower rpm and torque will help the blade bite the ice better and not walk on you.

I don’t agree with your statement. It’s misleading to new anglers that think they need certain things. Drills have variable speed triggers. Instead of spending $80 on a “must have” item, just don’t squeeze the trigger all the way. Boom, lower RPM for free. Then, once the auger has a good bite, go full tilt on the trigger and drill your hole. Guys with gassers have been doing that for decades.

Having said that, I am glad this product does exist for the people that it actually benefits. That being people with health/body/age/dexterity problems that make ice fishing difficult. I’m all for a product that helps a guy get out and enjoy ice fishing without working their balls off. I know the concept of this gear box can really help with those situations. However, I just don’t see this product being practical for every user and that’s how it’s being advertised. Like Hardwater said, drills and batteries have come a long way since Clam’s gen1 to the point where the gear box is now a specialty product that I’m sure would excel in the above example.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2021, 05:40 PM »
The new gear box Clam Plate is a good idea for the ice fishermen that do not have the money for an expensive drill like a Milwaukee Fuel and instead have to buy a $99 drill.  The less torque requirement in the new gear box will allow for the lower torque drills to work fine and save some fishermen money.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2021, 11:56 AM »
Even with the highest torque drills, the gear box really helps with making the whole operation smoother, especially when it brakes through. Also it looks slow, but most drills slow way down when cutting where as the gearbox stays consistent throughout.. I have the first generation, second all metal version and I really like how it drills with my Octane..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.