Author Topic: Japanese Ice Fishermen  (Read 4404 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Japanese Ice Fishermen
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:12 PM »
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:33 PM »
There are also commercially available products. Maybe the fabric is nylon, price is about $ 346. Unfortunately, it is not exporting.

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for the link and the photo Niru, very cool! The photo looks like a one man flipover on a smitty sled. I'd bet someone here uses the instructions you shared to build something for themselves.

And welcome to Ice Shanty. Lots of great ideas here and you have added another dimension of experience. Thank you!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline niru_04

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing is all of my life.
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:11 PM »
>esox_xtm-san

Thank you for comment. I’m also fun that see some ideas here. In Japan, ice fishing is smelt fishing.
We usually use two electric reel-rod that’s length is short, about 15”. The fish is small, so the space is okay even if it is small.
But in the lake where I go, the tent like a picture is common except right side tent.

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:36 PM »
Really lefty? Gotta be careful with generalizations...
Now that's funny!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:44 PM »
Check out the Ameristep gunner ground blind. I really like it if I'm fishing alone. Low cost, compact, lightweight (4 lb), easy setup and take down. May even use it for hunting someday.
I use the Ameristep Doghouse Ground Blind https://www.amazon.com/Ameristep-1RX2S010-Doghouse-Blind/dp/B00JA82FV0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517974918&sr=8-3&keywords=ameristep+doghouse+blind with four screw in ice anchors. Works great on calm days. Use it mostly so my daughters can do their business in private without leaving the ice.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 07, 2018, 01:27 AM »
>esox_xtm-san

Thank you for comment. I’m also fun that see some ideas here. In Japan, ice fishing is smelt fishing.
We usually use two electric reel-rod that’s length is short, about 15”. The fish is small, so the space is okay even if it is small.
You got to be careful with what you say today with the internet, you never know when your going to be talking to the main man.

I would put my Fish Trap up against one of those on a strong windy day anytime.   https://postimg.cc/image/mt2nhd857/

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:23 AM »
>esox_xtm-san

But in the lake where I go, the tent like a picture is common except right side tent.

That's a beautiful area Niru_04, thanks for sharing. I didn't know icefishing is popular in your country. Do you have any photos of the smelt, or your electric rod/reel setups?

Offline Linc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:24 AM »
>esox_xtm-san

Those dome tents resemble the old Polar Pal ice shelters. I have one that I am going to start using again. Not as convenient as a flipover but it certainly is roomier. To bad they are no longer made. Mine is a little ratty but I have a spare for when this one gives up the ghost.

Offline niru_04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 07, 2018, 12:30 PM »

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 07, 2018, 01:28 PM »
 I understand the popularity of smelt fishing. we have smelt camps on our tidal rivers in Maine, and prices are about twice what your fees are just for  one tide.  I’ve read about the bass fishing over there, does anyone fish for bass or sunfish through the ice?

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 07, 2018, 02:12 PM »
Great, thank you for the links niru_04. Lots of good info and pictures there. Those little rod/electric reel combos are cool.

Offline niru_04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 07, 2018, 03:52 PM »
>Seamonkey84-san
Fishing fee of the lake where I go is about $7 a day. There is no sunfish, but bass fishing is very popular in Japan.
Quite a few bass fishermen fish smelt in ice season.

>eiderz-san
Thank you. I’m happy that you have seen them.

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:32 PM »
>esox_xtm-san

Very pretty place!  Great to see some international posts too and it's not just the U.S. and Canada...thanks!

Offline niru_04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:15 PM »
>IDAHOAUGER-san

Thank you. There is no borders for people who love ice fishing. :)

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:17 PM »
>IDAHOAUGER-san

Very true! :icefish: :thumbsup:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:22 PM »
>IDAHOAUGER-san

Yep. I love different experiences and perspectives!  :bow:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:32 PM »
Thanks for the posts Niru.  I never even knew it got cold enough in Japan for ice fishing.

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:48 PM »
Very cool thread!  Thanks for sharing!!
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline niru_04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:52 PM »
>Kobey-san, gil_lunkage-san

Thank you.  :)
This Japanese “snails”type tent is convenient, but I love sturdy American-made hub-type tents.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 07, 2018, 11:02 PM »
>Seamonkey84-san
Fishing fee of the lake where I go is about $7 a day. There is no sunfish, but bass fishing is very popular in Japan.
Quite a few bass fishermen fish smelt in ice season.

I though you were fishing sea smelts like our camps. I don’t think too many people here in Maine go out just to target lake smelts, but some people do it to catch fresh bait or just catch them as they swim through while they are jigging for something else.
Interesting about not having sunfish, maybe not in that lake then or are just in different areas than the smelt. I remember reading about the bluegill sunfish that have been taking over.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.