Author Topic: Gander mountain 8x8 ice shelter  (Read 4446 times)

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gander mountain 8x8 ice shelter
« on: Nov 26, 2016, 11:27 AM »
Does anyone have one or have any positive reviews? I have read concerns of no place to put anchors an it says nothing about the weight.  But I really like the price of 200 dollars for an insulated shelter 8x8. I would think for that money everyone would have one. I have heard very similar to the fatfish 949i? If anyone has info let's hear it. Because for the money looks like a great deal.

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gander mountain 8x8 ice shelter
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2016, 11:32 AM »
If I didn't have two hubs already I'd try one in a heartbeat.  Can't beat the price.  The description below says something about reinforced anchor points.  If not bank with snow and use the tiedown points on the hubs.  This also includes two chairs in the price.

Stay warm and protected on your ice fishing trips this winter with the Gander Mountain Insulated Thermal Ice Hub. This extremely tough ice fishing shelter is made with 3-layer welded thermal construction (300 Denier polyester exterior shell welded to polyfill insulation and 150 Denier interior). The flex-tested extra-large 11mm poles provide shelter stability with lab-tested hub assemblies. This dependable ice house has 8 heavy-duty ice anchors and reinforced tie downs to secure the shelter in windy conditions.

similar last years model

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2016, 01:30 AM »
I have the Fatfish 949i and haven't had any issues with it.  Last year I saw the Gander Mountain shelter you're talking about and the first thing I noticed is there wasn't anywhere to put the ice anchors.  I don't understand why they did that but if I bought one I'd have grommets put in the skirt or have anchor tabs with grommets sewn in so I could put the anchors in without damaging the skirt.  The other thing I didn't like was that there's only one door, maybe not a big deal to others but I like the convenience of having two doors.  The re-enforced tie downs they're talking about are loops on the sides that you tie a rope to and down to an anchor to keep the wind from blowing the sides in, they are NOT in the skirt for the anchors.  This was the case with the one I saw last year and haven't seen this year's model so I can't say definitely if this year's is the same way or not.  One thing that you can do to make your life easier is get a set of ratchet straps to use to for the tie downs, the ropes they give you have a habit of coming loose after the wind has been blowing on the side for a while.  No matter what shelter you get this is will work and is well worth the money you'll spend on them.  The other bonus to this is you can use the ratchet straps to lash the shelter after you take it down.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2016, 09:42 AM »
There was a pretty good review done on this shack last year as gander mountain ran the same deal at this time. So try the search function and see if you can't find it. My buddy and I each got one last year and have enjoyed fishing out of it. The including anchors are top notch. I usually run guy lines off the Hubs for the anchors. There are no grommets in the skirt but grommets are so easy to install I would not let the deter you from getting the shack. There are four anchor straps with grommets all ready in place in each corner of the shack that are accessible from the inside of the shack.

Set up is a breeze and it is pretty light weight. This shelter has changed my opinions of hub shelters and the next shelter I buy will probably be another hub and I will sell my flip over. Having one door is less then ideal. I was also a bit surprised about how much I had to run the heater in the shack. There is just so much space in there to heat up. My next hub will probably b a little smaller then this one. My .02 is its a great deal and a shack that serves a good purpose.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2016, 10:02 AM »
the inside corners have straps with grommets to anchor down from the inside. this is nice so the sun doesn't heat them up and become loose. the skirt doesn't need them like my shappell wh5600 has. i use my boot to push the ice shavings to the windward side of the hut from inside.

thanks for the kind words boder!

just what you wanted to know
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=320731.0

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2016, 10:35 AM »
Is there a code to enter or did I miss the deal?   $299 now.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2016, 11:15 AM »
they had it on sale last year and had two different prices at one time. they had a mistake going on with pricing.
you might want to check your local store for stock and maybe a cheaper price. there is a code for 50 off 250 there on the top of the page.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2016, 11:25 AM »
I don't get to the iowa store that often, so I would be looking at shipping too.  I can get a 949i delivered free for $279.   Will likely just do that. 
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.