Author Topic: What is your favorite and most productive structure?  (Read 707 times)

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
What is your favorite and most productive structure?
« on: Feb 03, 2006, 05:49 AM »
In early spring just after ice out I love to go in search of beaver huts especially if they are surrounded by 8-10 feet of water.
 Several years back I was fishing around the boat docks at the back of a bay and discovered a hut on a little point.
 I was fishing a jig and minnow under a bobber and pitched it on the edge of the hut and nailed a nice crappie as soon as the thing hit the water.
 That day I caught every species of fish in the lake except pike and stripers and muskies and for the next 3 days I boated over 200 panfish off of that hut.(I didn't keep all of them)
 Sometimes the action was so heavy that my hand got so cold from dipping in the minnow bucket that I couldn't hold the minnow between my fingers and I was having a ball until the DER guy drove in and told me "you know you aren't allowed to fish back here around the docks ?" Then he ran me out and was waiting for me the next day when I tried to "sneak" back in early in the morning..
 Since then my buddy and I have had some great days early in the spring fishing around beaver huts.

Winchester 88

Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
Re: What is your favorite and most productive structure?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2006, 06:50 AM »
The most productive structure around here is the American Legion Post on Friday night for their all you can eat fish fry.  :thumbsup: Can't fish around the docks?
What a dumb law.  I love to fish for crappie around deadfall timber in the early spring
up until memorial day.  When trees along the shoreline fall into the lakes and farmponds they create a perfect fish holding structure.  I usually swim a pink leadhead jig with a liphooked minnow and a small round bobber 3' up the line, on top
of and around the logs.  The best crappie logs lay at a 90 degree angle to the shoreline and don't have too many branches to hook up on.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
Re: What is your favorite and most productive structure?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2006, 04:53 PM »
If your talking spring my vote is without a doubt, a north end cove on a day with moderate to heavy south wind. If the air temp is 40+, you'll catch every fish that swims. The harder the wind blows, the closer to shore you can fish. When this bite slows down I move to shoreline brush near or over deep water for specs. Ted nailed it on the head with the pink headed jig. I favor one on the smaller side with white or cyrstal feathers. Of course in my home lake, you could use a plain lead head jig tipped with a tree leaf and probably catch spring crappie. ;D
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.