Author Topic: Good thermos  (Read 4399 times)

Offline deadeyechris

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Good thermos
« Reply #30 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:25 PM »
The best one is thermos brand, it is green plastic with a stainless liner , it has a handle molded into it and is advertised to float, nice to know when I am out on the boat. It is tough  and can not be dented I have went out all day in 10 degrees with it sitting in the snow and it is too hot to drink with out waiting. Also after sitting in the snow and then in the truck over night it is still  not hot ,but still  warm enough to enjoy drinking the next day. I do always run the sink till the water is as hot as it will get. Then prefill the thermos, put the lid on for about 10 min before I put the coffee in.

Offline Amos

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Always looking for new fishing experiences.
« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:49 PM »
As always, you guys have thrown out some great ideas.  I appreciate all the input.

Offline fish8mybait

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Good thermos0
« Reply #32 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:12 PM »
I bought a green Stanley Thermos when I first started ice fishing and it worked for about two years and then went bad. I bought it because it had a good reputation and it was what all the old-timers used. The new ones are China made and not the same quality as the previous ones. I now have a $30 Nissan Thermos Stainless and it has been great!

Offline John2448

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta be the bait
« Reply #33 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:14 PM »
Stanley the older ones with the glass insert

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:20 PM »
Nissan. Nothing else compares. I ran a coffee joint for 10 years, pre Y2K, and their products are rock solid. The only Nissan thermos I ever saw "go bad" was one crushed in a scissor lift.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:27 PM »
Just one of several.     :flex:           But, we're still out numbered.

I went for the convenience of a small flip-up on a wide mouth, negating the need to remove the entire cap/lid and when primed, (properly), keeps hot liquids too dang hot to gulp, late into the 2nd day, perfect for out in the cold.  It's a tad large, but no need to fill it.

(Image removed from quote.)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDM2Mw==/z/pAIAAOSwR0JURc50/$_12.JPG

Ah ha !    ;)2

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:14 PM »
Thermos brand, but whatever brand you get, I suggest a glass-lined instead of stainless steel.
I've had and used both, and the glass-lined thermos held the heat much longer than any of the stainless steel ones.
Although they can break easier when dropped, they will always be my thermos of choice.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:27 PM »

I've been using my  Thermos Work Series brand ones for years in -30 and it's still steaming hot after 24 hours.  The solid steel old Stanley's were awesome too but are very hit and miss now. 

Mines like this --> http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Series-Beverage-40-Ounce-Gunmetal/dp/B00HC01PZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420773385&sr=8-1&keywords=thermos+work

The old glass ones were great at keeping fluid hot too but after a few glass shard filled coffees (& 10 bucks/liner) I stopped using them for ice fishing.  You can only be so careful pulling a sled over ice ridges, ruts, drifts, etc.

I have a stanley that was evidently put away wet because it has a terrible stink inside it. Tried several times but cannot remove the smell. Any ideas? Sorry to hijack but I thought one of you garage sale stanley hunters may have encountered the same situation.

Good tip for cleaning the steel ones is to put sugar or salt in them along with some slightly crushed ice.  Put the lid on and spin the contents around and around and shake a bit.  The ice impacts the granular (sugar, salt) and scours the inside surface clean as a whistle.  When you done, pour some hot water in to melt the ice and absorb the granular and then pour it out. It even works on years worth of coffee stains in containers but you'll have to do it a few times.  To help with the smell I would include some baking soda in the mix  ;).

Offline riverfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:04 PM »
 I agree on the Thermos Work series Brand, I preheat with hot water before I put the coffee in it and it has kept coffee hot for 24+ hours.  ;)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:40 PM »
Stanley not sure how much they are running these days but you can get them at Walmart and they're pretty cheap.

Offline Ramapomtn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:47 PM »
Try Hydroflask best Insulated bottle I ever had.  Plus you can get all different sizes/lids.....  www.hydroflask.com

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:10 PM »
Old glass-lined plastic Thermos brand. I break them occasionally, but still find lots of replacements at garage sales for .50 or $1.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #42 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:41 PM »
I have a stanley that was evidently put away wet because it has a terrible stink inside it. Tried several times but cannot remove the smell. Any ideas? Sorry to hijack but I thought one of you garage sale stanley hunters may have encountered the same situation.
I put squirt Dawn dish washing liquid,a hand full of forks,butter knives and boiling water.
Put cap on and shake all directions well for 30 seconds,slowly release pressure and repeat until clean.
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #43 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:42 PM »
Stanley not sure how much they are running these days but you can get them at Walmart and they're pretty cheap.

The last word is so true, Chris.    Primed with boiling water, filled with coffee, left on the seat for 3 1/2 hours, really needing it. It was colder than I was, ha.
 Next trip out, the Nissan came along and I damaged me tongue, ha.  The remains were left on the deck overnight at 10*.  Above.      It was 130* next morning.       That push-button flip-top exposes a very small hole for pouring and snaps shut.   It will hold half a chicken or quart and a half of liquid.     ;)2

Offline Dinosaur1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 09, 2015, 12:31 AM »
After reading all these posts all I got to say is, if your coffee is eating away at the stainless inside the thermos enough to make it taste funny, you need a lighter brew. Or, just slice it and fry it and make a sandwich out on the ice. I got my thermos from the NRA. It works and it's a good cause.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 09, 2015, 01:15 AM »
Stanley.  Guaranteed for life.  If it won't hold the heat, call them, they will replace it.  They replaced a couple for me that wouldn't stay hot for more than a few hours.  The new ones work as well as the other old ones I have.  Side by side tests overnight in the cold and keeps the temp within 5 degrees of each other(because I was bored and had to know).  New ones are not lined with charcoal like the old ones so are not as heavy.  If you can find one cheap, grab it.  If it doesn't work, call and give them the date code on the bottom.  They will replace it, no questions asked.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Jan 09, 2015, 05:04 AM »
After reading all these posts all I got to say is, if your coffee is eating away at the stainless inside the thermos enough to make it taste funny, you need a lighter brew.

:roflmao: :roflmao:

WS

Offline felix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:06 AM »
Stanley.  Guaranteed for life.  If it won't hold the heat, call them, they will replace it.  They replaced a couple for me that wouldn't stay hot for more than a few hours.  The new ones work as well as the other old ones I have.  Side by side tests overnight in the cold and keeps the temp within 5 degrees of each other(because I was bored and had to know).  New ones are not lined with charcoal like the old ones so are not as heavy.  If you can find one cheap, grab it.  If it doesn't work, call and give them the date code on the bottom.  They will replace it, no questions asked.

They don't make em like they used to. They may work as well, but they don't last as long. I've gone through two in the last 6 or so years. Look just like the old ones, but for some reason they don't hold their vacuum as well. I was very disappointed when the second one failed, thought I was just unlucky when the fist one went bad. Did not realize that they were guaranteed for life. Knowing that makes me feel a little better about Stanly. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #48 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:32 AM »
I have a old thermos made by uno-vac and that thing will keep coffee hot all day long.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:39 AM »
Stanely been woking good for 30+ years.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #50 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:40 AM »
My thermos is a Thermos work model with handle. It's probably 10 + years old and no  problems.
As previously stated I fill it with boiling water 15 minutes prior to loading with coffee and it's still at least warm after all day on the ice.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #51 on: Jan 10, 2015, 10:44 AM »
And the results are in.....I'll stick with my "Rock" from Thermos.  ;D

http://theboatgalley.com/thermos-testing/
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 10, 2015, 12:47 PM »
that was a too bad that persons experience  with the Stanley but when I pour mine out 6-7 hrs later  I got to wait for it to cool down to drink it that's outside in winter so I will stay with my stanley

Offline wallhanger77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • its all about the fishing
« Reply #53 on: Jan 10, 2015, 02:09 PM »
I have a Stanley as well and the key is to never use soap in these I have only used boiling water and baking soda to clean mine and it has lasted for 15 years and still keeps my coffee hot for at. Least 10 hours I rinse it out with baking soda and boiling water at least once a week but that is just my opinion
If you want me to listen to you talk about fishing      I am a member of PETA     people eating tastey animals

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 10, 2015, 02:38 PM »
After reading all these posts all I got to say is, if your coffee is eating away at the stainless inside the thermos enough to make it taste funny, you need a lighter brew. Or, just slice it and fry it and make a sandwich out on the ice. I got my thermos from the NRA. It works and it's a good cause.

WOAH THERE!  A lighter brew?  My friend, if my tungsten jigs float on the surface of my coffee then I know I've got it just about right...

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 10, 2015, 03:40 PM »
A little trick is to find an old preferably quilted jacket, cut off the sleeve sew up the bottom, (the shoulder) and use it as a bag for your thermos, it will stay warmer longer.
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline bergal1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 10, 2015, 04:24 PM »
STANLEY... had mine for 35 years when working in the woods, fishing, hunting, etc.  none better. 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:17 PM »
   Tried baking soda?

I did not. I tried dish soap and some other non-tox cleaning agents and none worked. I googled how to use the baking soda to clean a thermos and found some great info. Thanks a lot! Worked on it a bit today and its like brand new!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 10, 2015, 10:47 PM »
I have a antique Thermos glass lined one with pheasant,grouse,quail,ducks and geese on the outside that I inherited from my grandpa! ;D

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:28 AM »
WOAH THERE!  A lighter brew?  My friend, if my tungsten jigs float on the surface of my coffee then I know I've got it just about right...

Same here my friend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.