Author Topic: Good thermos  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Amos

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Always looking for new fishing experiences.
Good thermos
« on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:00 PM »
Question for coffee drinkers.  What do you feel is a good thermos for keeping coffee hot all morning?  What kind of cost is it? 

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
Re: Good thermos
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:06 PM »
I have had a Stanley thermos for almost 20yrs and still works great. Wife bought me a new one(Aladdin) and its nice too,doesn't roll when you lay it down.
I also pour hot water in mine for a few mins before my coffee to ensure it stays warm all day.
They run around $25-30 depending on size.
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:07 PM »
I've had good luck with a vaccuum sealed thermos in stainless steel.  I believe its a nissan and don't know the cost because I won it in a fishing derby. 

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:11 PM »
Stanley!

End of story.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:11 PM »
Here are a few recommendations

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=268865.msg2772977#msg2772977

WS

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:13 PM »
The classic Stanley Thermos

I bought mine for less than $20, but that was about 20 years ago.

Still works great keeps the coffee good and hot.

Get a wide mouth and you can take hot food with you like chili or stew.

Good luck :tipup:

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:13 PM »
I have a StanleyThermos brand 1985,built like a tank. Keeps my coffee pretty hot all day. The trick is to put boiling water in it for 10 or 15 min before You pat your Coffee in .
Bob P.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:14 PM »
i can't stand stainless steel thermos. the stainless changes the flavor and can't keep fluid as hot as glass.
look for glass lined.

Offline hardwatercrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:14 PM »
Stanley

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:19 PM »
Stainless changes the flavor ???

What are you a Master Sommelier ?

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:20 PM »
A good coffee mug is Yeti mug to go along with a Stanley thermos ;D

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:20 PM »
I use a Thermos brand stainless thermos not sure which one... It has a dark grey hammermill finish, it was around $30. I fill it with boiling water at home then when I stop for breakfast the waitress pours out the water and adds my coffee. I get 2 large mugs on the ice and one for the ride home... the last is as hot as the first.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:25 PM »
Vacuum insulated thermos...thermos, only way to go, I've been using one for about 7 years, it will keep hot tea hot the whole day on ice or the duck blind.  Put it in from the pot and can't drink it 7 hours later it's so hot.

Rebelss, reminded me that I have a ROCK thermos, I painted it last season couldn't remember what kind it was.  If I buy another it's going to be one of those.

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:25 PM »
Stanley. I have a 2 quart that I've had for thirty plus years. Heat it up with boiling water before my coffee goes in and it stays hot for quite a long time. Has made many duck hunting and fishing trips with me. And it does have a lifetime warranty.
><> I was born to be a FISHERMAN !!!! <><

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:29 PM »
I went for the convenience of a small flip-up on a wide mouth, negating the need to remove the entire cap/lid and when primed, (properly), keeps hot liquids too dang hot to gulp, late into the 2nd day, perfect for out in the cold.  It's a tad large, but no need to fill it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDM2Mw==/z/pAIAAOSwR0JURc50/$_12.JPG

Offline ridgerunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:34 PM »
I can't find glass lined thermos anymore. It's one of the first thing I look for in a garage sale.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:40 PM »
Green Stanley thermos. Does not leak! Most out there do. Boil some water and pour it in your Stanley and let it sit a bit and then pour out and put coffee in it stays charged up warm all day even left in your truck for a long time.
Fishin red lines

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:48 PM »
The Rock, by Thermos. I've got 'em all. Outperforms that green one hands down. Period. Tested them side by side on the ice in Northern Minnesota fishing, more than once. When we got home, used my digital cooking temp gauge to measure the liquid temp. Rock was ten degrees warmer.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/thermos-the-rock-1-liter-beverage-bottle/pid-26186
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:48 PM »
I can't find glass lined thermos anymore. It's one of the first thing I look for in a garage sale.

right on, stainless is nasty!!
you can find carafes that are glass lined on-line still tho and thats what i use.
check amazon, they had some to pick from.
the coffee flavor still changes in glass, but not as fast, especially if you use creamers or milk.

mine is old and gets knocked around hard in the ice shanty tub, sled, car, van. truck, boat and moped.

UPDATE
found you some. must be others agree about the flavor.

heres a review about stainless changing the flavor of liquids. (for the non-believers), but i already know as do a few others at least.
http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-3410USP-Beverage-Bottle-colors/product-reviews/B000JTJP4Y/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R20ZJ4TVD7BALK
another
http://www.amazon.com/review/RQ3HOVI99TNBH/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B007WAC7NE&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=284507&store=kitchen

if you want to buy new glass lined.
all this talk about best thermos. wife just brought this home to me today. 12$ local ace hardware store. they sell the replacement glass liners for the careless folk. can buy add-on cups that screw onto the top too. comes with two and a stash cap. nice unit.
http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-3410USP-Beverage-Bottle-colors/dp/B000JTJP4Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420762074&sr=8-2&keywords=glass+lined+thermos+bottle

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-33105A-Vacuum-Bottle-Assorted/dp/B001AHASWM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420762074&sr=8-1&keywords=glass+lined+thermos+bottle

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=glass+lined+thermos+bottle&sprefix=glass+lined+the%2Caps%2C587

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:50 PM »
reason for that is that the liners break when dropped. go with a Stanley.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:52 PM »
my best advice would be to look around at garage sales and flea markets for stanleys. all the stanleys sold these days in stores are pretty good thermos's but they don't hold a candle to the old american made ones. the old ones keep heat far longer than the new ones and are far better built. i picked up two for five dollars last year as a matter of fact.
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:58 PM »
I think I have found the best way for a piping hot cup of coffee, at any time of day...

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:59 PM »
Stanley

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:59 PM »
I have a stanley that was evidently put away wet because it has a terrible stink inside it. Tried several times but cannot remove the smell. Any ideas? Sorry to hijack but I thought one of you garage sale stanley hunters may have encountered the same situation.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:13 PM »
my best advice would be to look around at garage sales and flea markets for stanleys. all the stanleys sold these days in stores are pretty good thermos's but they don't hold a candle to the old american made ones. the old ones keep heat far longer than the new ones and are far better built. i picked up two for five dollars last year as a matter of fact.

I agree. I had an American made one that I bought back in the late 70's. It finally got so beat up that I sent it in for a new one. What a piece of crap. No matter how long I let it stand with boiling water before filling it with coffee, it didn't stay hot. Finally gave it to Good Will. I have an Aladdin that was a Christmas gift a few years ago. Have not used it much, but when I have it has kept my coffee hot.

Offline sgtski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish all four seasons........ice time da best time
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:14 PM »
Stanley.......very popular.....i got a rugged american.....same one for over thirty years.....used it when my pops and i went out for pheasant.....still use it today, keeps my tea hot all day....even with 0° temps!!!
"You wanna know how I got these scars......." The Joker

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:15 PM »
i can't stand stainless steel thermos. the stainless changes the flavor and can't keep fluid as hot as glass.
look for glass lined.
        Just don't drop it!!

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:18 PM »
Another Stanley guy here. As others stated, pour boiling water in and let set for a few minutes, dump out water and add hot beverage of choice.
Better add; mine are old too, maybe the new ones aren't as good.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:23 PM »
I have a stanley that was evidently put away wet because it has a terrible stink inside it. Tried several times but cannot remove the smell. Any ideas? Sorry to hijack but I thought one of you garage sale stanley hunters may have encountered the same situation.
   Tried baking soda?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:24 PM »
It seems no one likes the small flip up, on the Nissan Stanley Wide mouth.      :unsure:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.