Author Topic: Fishing without a shanty  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Ramapomtn

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing without a shanty
« on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:32 PM »
Hey I was out this morning in the nice 5 degree weather.  Does anyone have some tips on staying warm without a shanty?  Also, I bring my yellow lab out with me on the ice any tips for keeping her comfy as well?

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fishing without a shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:39 PM »
You need some kind of cover hunting blind and heater
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:42 PM »
at least bring out a rug or something for the dog to get her feet off the ice.  as for you, layers, layers, layers.

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:49 PM »
I'd make a small frame covered with a tarp and stand it in the snow for a wind block.  +1 on the rug for the dog. 
FTWGA

Offline clhuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:56 PM »
I go all the time without a shanty  I just have good clothes and boots. I wear Carhart it protects against the wind very good. And it's always windy here.   You can always build a fire to I do this if its real cold while waiting for fish to bite.  Just gotta keep moving around and keep hands dry bring towel or something to wipe hands off before putting wet cold hands back in glove.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:02 PM »
And remember the thermal doggie bed. Hate to see animals out in cold weather like that. :)

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:05 PM »
A good beard is always helpfull

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:09 PM »
Hole hopping is how I stay warm...take up perch fishing!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:09 PM »
at least bring out a rug or something for the dog to get her feet off the ice.  as for you, layers, layers, layers.

Two thumbs up!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:16 PM »
I would not worry to much about the dog I always had to fight to get my goldens in even when it was real cold. they can swim in ice water.but not for like 8 hrs that's a bit much.when I brought a rug he would not usually use it .I am a big believer in wool goretex and windproof layers if you have good gear you can handle pretty cold .good boots you can search on here for faverates.did I mention wool?great point by clhuff on towel pretty important

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:20 PM »
I fish  all the time without a shanty, have two of them good ones but I like to catch fish and most of the time I am moving trying to catch them,just can't stand waiting for them to find me. I just came in from fishing two days dark to dark Tuesday and Wednesday snow and wind, very cold out there. But if you have the wright clothing and foot ware you can have a good time. Sure would rather fish when the weather is nice but I got to go when I can. 

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:22 PM »
Yes Wool! Warm even when wet!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:22 PM »
If you are bundled up and sit on the ice even with a rug you will see just how cold ice really is.I wouldn't put any animal through that.
<===Lefty===

Offline Amos

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Always looking for new fishing experiences.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:23 PM »
Even while sitting outside, a heater may be helpful, just not so much if it is real windy.  Also any hand warmers might be nice.  A couple of Jon-E hand warmers placed in shirt pockets will help keep your torso warm.  This should help your circulation while on the ice.  Another alternative, I have not tried this yet, is to get a battery operated vest or jacket that generates heat. 

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:25 PM »
Hand and toe warmers and boots for the dog

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:25 PM »
Another option is procardia if your doctor will prescribe it!

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:32 PM »
I bring a piece of that 1/2 inch foam mat (workout mat) that you can get in the camping section.  It insulates the dog from the ice.  You do need to tie it off to something though or it will take off on you.   I too fish without a shelter most of the time.  The wind has the same effect on the dog it has on us, so if it is too windy, I leave my lab home, and often stay home as well if its too windy. 

Offline Ramapomtn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:35 PM »
thanks for all the reply's this was my first post.  I've tried the rug/mat for my lab but she just lays right down on the ice so I don't even know if the cold bothers her.  The boots for her is a great idea thank you curdog.  I was most worried about her paws.    Are there light shelters/shanty's out there that would be good for hiking in? There are a few ponds within hiking distance of where I live.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2015, 04:20 PM »
when it's that cold, leave the dog home. I make sure my outer clothing is windproof. under armour, wool shirt. wool vest. warm, waterproof boots, wool socks.

Offline Dem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2015, 04:22 PM »
Carhart insulated bibs, hooded sweatshirt under yr jacket, a really good pair of pack boots and some hand warmers for the pocket!
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the ice like an idiot! I won't tell you which side of the line I'm on.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2015, 04:24 PM »
there are light weight pop ups that will get you out of the wind

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2015, 04:35 PM »
If your after crappies and gills, just use a hot dog gripper (tongs from walle world) and grab your fish with them and that will keep your hands dry. Have done this for years and wouldn't fish without them !!!!!  STEVE

Offline Amos

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Always looking for new fishing experiences.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:08 PM »
Bassbull, Some of the outfitters in Wisconsin will use the "Grabber" for picking whitefish out of the holes.  They run sheet metal screws thru the tongs to help grip those slippery devils.   

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:10 PM »
if the animal is acclimate for cold weather, its ok. still needs food and water. would leave it home if not.

you can make a small sled that holds a lantern in the end you fish from and get the heat from it and the light.
not sure what they are called, but i have seen them here and on the ice.
the heat will work the front side of you (face, hands torso ect) you can use it to haul you gear in and slides on the ice. may be able to buy one if you can't make it. they used to be popular before sled and shanties replaced them.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:11 PM »
I wouldn't bring a dog when it's that cold. I brought mine once and his tail went limp for a week. Poor guy couldn't even sit on it.  Laying a sled on its side and laying behind it will keep the wind out.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:13 PM »
Buy extra clothes...I mean if you don't want to spend money on a shanty, at least invest in some darn good clothes like Striker Ice suit.
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline polski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's never to cold too drink beer
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:20 PM »
Find a spot where you can have some trees block the wind against the shore

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:47 PM »
Back into the wind with  your hood up. Make yourself as sleak as possible. * no gaps or places for wind to get in. As far as light shelters, there's a bunch. Its all the stuff you have room for that weights up haha.
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline fishbowl69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:27 PM »
I'm not one to turn dogs into pussies, but I think 5 degrees is on the cold side, unless u have an outside husky. Should always have a piece of rug...
I agree  you may try a waterfowl vest for the dog.  Should help keep her core warm. I'd get her use to wearing booties. Some dogs hate them with a passion  that's were duck tape helps keep them on her. As for you it's like everyone is saying a wicking layer a base layer and then how ever much you think you need.  A good ice suit goes along way

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:30 PM »
Hey I was out this morning in the nice 5 degree weather.  Does anyone have some tips on staying warm without a shanty?  Also, I bring my yellow lab out with me on the ice any tips for keeping her comfy as well?
    Get a striker suit , problem solved!!  Added bonus if you go in it floats!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.