Author Topic: rigid hammer drill vs regular 2 speed rigid drill  (Read 4446 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: rigid hammer drill vs regular 2 speed rigid drill
« Reply #30 on: Nov 07, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Here is my take on this as i went thru this process last winter.

1 - First of all you want the hammer drill. Not for the hammer function, but because the internal components are built for more abuse.
2 - If you plan to use anything up to a 6in auger the Rigid Hammer Drill will be just fine.
3 - If you want to use an 8in auger the Milwaukee Fuel Hammer Drill is the better choice. This drill has burned up using an 8in auger, albeit thru 24in of ice.
4 - Price: The Milwaukee will cost more
5 - Warranty: Rigids lifetime warranty on the drill and batteries (if you register on their site, takes 10 mins) cant be beat.

For my purposes (I live in MA too) I went with the Rigid as i only use a 6in auger. Last season i punched over 500 holes thru 18" of ice, not a single issue.  My average holes per trip is about 60-80, with battery to spare.

I had the Clam drill plate but found it unnecessary for this setup and just added weight. I simply use the drill with the side handle with an adapter and a small disk with a cord in case the chuck loosens up. This also allows me to remove the auger from the drill on the ice to screw in pop up anchors. Or for general use around the house. Its also nice that it pops apart so easily for storage and transport.  Total weight about 10lbs

As we are both in Mass, hit me up this season and we can meet up so you can try it out.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Nov 07, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Is that a Fin Bore auger?

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Nov 08, 2014, 05:41 PM »
Is that a Fin Bore auger?

Rg

Possibly =)
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

icewagon

« Reply #33 on: Nov 08, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Buy the cheapest Eskimo gas auger it will run for 20 years as long as put gas in it and it wont mind the cold, strap it on top of the truck to get to the lake it will start just fine.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #34 on: Nov 08, 2014, 07:09 PM »
I once owned one of those loud, stinking (stinky), heavy, Problematic, power augers and was very glad to sell it! I have not regretted it since... In the end to each his own...

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #35 on: Nov 08, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Fish cant smell the batteries either!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.