Author Topic: Need help with a hummingbird 55 problem.  (Read 340 times)

Offline rswope2004

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need help with a hummingbird 55 problem.
« on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:13 PM »
Long story short.  My son and i were wrapping up our outing last night.  I used the bird all night no problems.  When we are ready to leave the transducer still in the water i turn off the machine.  It continues to spin solid green for about 30 secs and isnt stopping. So i unplug the battery.  Lights go out.  I replug in the battery the wheel spins no lights and the depth display reads 638 ft.  Anyone ever had this issue and more importantly what does it cost to send it back to get it repaired?  Any info would be appreciated.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Need help with a hummingbird 55 problem.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2014, 03:51 PM »
few things to check first
-check the voltage after a full charge of the battery after the residual charge has left, say half hour and you should have 12.5 volts at least. there is a built in battery meter. use it and see whats going on during use, should try to stay over 12 volts. test it at home even, run it a few hours and test the battery. if you have a digital volt meter, that would be best.
-try a different battery fully charged.
-make sure both connectors in the rear are pushed in tight (they get loose on their own from tilting it up to see and down to stow). make sure no corrosion is on the pins too.
-if you can swap transducer with another bird owner to check it.
-if you can swap a battery at least for testing. if the battery is old, maybe buy a new one and use the old for lights or back up.

the cost to send it in is 128.45$ on your card and you pay to ship it in. turn around is one day. i kept the battery because of shipping and i can buy a new one cheap enough and have a few around for other things
i shipped priority mail (10.56$) and took 2 days there and had tracking and 50$ insurance. they ship fedex with tracking

you will get every thing replaced except the head unit case. my transducer had a few slices in it (must have been auger nicks), so they had to replace it. might want to make sure yours does too ? or not. they send several parts bags full of all the things to make the rest like new. i only sent the transducer with cuts and the head unit with burnt transistors on the main board. you will get 90 days warranty and they ask you to test it and report any problems you might find

Offline rswope2004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:27 PM »
thanks 3300.  I did have both a backup battery and ducer.  the screen will not even light up with the new ducer and battery.  One question is does the 128 cover any problems with the unit?  it has to be something in the board I would imagine.  thanks for the help.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:54 PM »
yes it covers every thing except the plastic head unit case. i didn't send the battery as i said, because of shipping charges and i can buy one cheaper than mailing one. there will be no extra charges, but it looks like they tax you, but don't unless you live where they do.

break down is
111.95 ICE55 REPAIR
16.95 FREIGHT

If you have questions or concerns about your service order, please reply to this email or call us at (800) 633-1468 and have your order number available. Our business hours are Central Time 8:00 am to 4:30 pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and 8:30 am to 4:30 pm on Wednesday.

If you provided a credit card number for payment, charges were applied as Johnson Outdoors-MEG.

We sincerely value and appreciate your business. Good Fishing!

Humminbird Customer Service
[email protected]
 800-633-1468

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.