Author Topic: eagle claw inline?  (Read 4429 times)

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
eagle claw inline?
« on: Nov 18, 2013, 05:54 PM »
Looking at getting one of the EC inlines. My only question is are they left or right hand retrieve? Or r they interchangeable? Thanks. Fin

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: eagle claw inline?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2013, 06:09 PM »
they interchange by flipping the 1 way bearing in the handle side of the reel.pretty easy I did 2 in about 10 minutes.they come in the package left handed.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2013, 06:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply Doc! Still undecided about the Eagle Claw or the Black Betty 6061. Can't decide if I wanna spend $55 more dollars for the Betty. If its that much better???????  Fin

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2013, 06:55 PM »
Looking at getting one of the EC inlines. My only question is are they left or right hand retrieve? Or r they interchangeable? Thanks. Fin

The inlines are nice. Eagle claw has some nice reels, and you flip a bearing to change the retrieve side. If you can, try to play with one to see if the drag is good. sometimes they can be a little hit or miss when it comes to a smooth drag. If you can get an eagle claw aluminum spool with a good working drag you'll be happy. I would say that's the one benefit of paying $60 more for the black Betty is the drag is usually better on it.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2013, 07:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply Doc! Still undecided about the Eagle Claw or the Black Betty 6061. Can't decide if I wanna spend $55 more dollars for the Betty. If its that much better???????  Fin
that's pretty much where I was at in my decision so I am starting this season with the eagleclaw inlines to see if I even like the inlines.i figure at 20 bucks I would give them a try.if I do like them ill upgrade when these fail.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2013, 07:58 PM »
Picked up 6 of them last year in thoughts that if I didn't like them, I would sell them since inline reels were the hot items last year and in short supply. Ended up keeping them all and have them set up differently. Very good reel for the money. I just couldn't drop the $$$ on the 6061.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2013, 08:05 PM »
I decided to try 2 of the EC's with the aluminium spools.  The Teflon drag system wasn't the smoothest so I added some quantum hot sauce grease them and that smoothed them up considerably.  I too thought about getting the 6061 but for the money figured the EC's would be fine.  I also believe next year they will have a 6061 with a 'fender' so can pencil grip them....now that kinda reel if of good quality will be the best reel period for me.  I can see several if those being in my possession.  If they do come out with such a reel these current EC's will work great for dead stick combos.  I know 13 Fishing is aware of the demand for a fender on their 6061 so I'm confident that they will come thru considering their proactive thinking towards us hard water fanatics.
]

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2013, 08:11 PM »
I have no issues penciling a 6061....

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2013, 08:48 PM »
I decided to try 2 of the EC's with the aluminium spools.  The Teflon drag system wasn't the smoothest so I added some quantum hot sauce grease them and that smoothed them up considerably.  I too thought about getting the 6061 but for the money figured the EC's would be fine.  I also believe next year they will have a 6061 with a 'fender' so can pencil grip them....now that kinda reel if of good quality will be the best reel period for me.  I can see several if those being in my possession.  If they do come out with such a reel these current EC's will work great for dead stick combos.  I know 13 Fishing is aware of the demand for a fender on their 6061 so I'm confident that they will come thru considering their proactive thinking towards us hard water fanatics.

I had a 6061 and bought the EC aluminum one since I liked the 6061 so much. However, when I would pull line out to test the drag, it would spool fine then get really jumpy and clanky. So I took it back and got another 6061. I really liked the looks of the EC with the red spool, just was to scared of the drag. Have u had any issues at all with the drag on yours like I was talking about?

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2013, 09:42 PM »
Wow guys thanks for all the input but ur not making it easy to decide. Sub par drag to a lot more coin! Have to weigh the pros and cons of both a little more. Fin

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2013, 06:31 AM »
Pick up the EC and give it a try. If you dont like it they are pretty easy to resell on ebay.

They sold out fast last season, so i wouldn't wait to long.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2013, 10:24 AM »
I think the drag issue with the eagle claws stems from being shipped from the factory with very dry lube oil in them. Mine had almost none in it at all. After a little hot sauce and working in setting in the chair one evening its working awesome.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Fire_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2013, 10:43 AM »
I picked up the EC Inline and I love them. Easy to use and the line comes off straight! I did struggle getting the bearing out though.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2013, 01:51 PM »
I've got one and changed the bearing. I also contacted EC about this. If like the rest of us and mechanically inclined you should have no problems. If not you can ship it to EC and they will do it for free. You have to pay for shipping.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2013, 06:33 PM »
I think the drag issue with the eagle claws stems from being shipped from the factory with very dry lube oil in them. Mine had almost none in it at all. After a little hot sauce and working in setting in the chair one evening its working awesome.

I don't think the issue from the one I had was due to that. I'm not sure, but it just seemed like there was a little to much play between the gear teeth and the teeth on the spool. I took it apart and tried to see if I could get the play out of it, but couldn't. I had the knob has tight has I could get it on the spool, and it would drag fine then start slipping and clanking like the spool teeth and gear weren't tight to each other. I'm guessing that it was just one that slipped through quality control. If I new that I could get a good one I'd buy a couple. Actually liked it a bit more then the BB6061

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2013, 07:29 PM »
I had a 6061 and bought the EC aluminum one since I liked the 6061 so much. However, when I would pull line out to test the drag, it would spool fine then get really jumpy and clanky. So I took it back and got another 6061. I really liked the looks of the EC with the red spool, just was to scared of the drag. Have u had any issues at all with the drag on yours like I was talking about?
Nothing gear related....just a not very smooth drag.  After the hot sauce grease and breaking it in its pretty decent now.  I have thought about seeing if 13 fishing could hook me up with their washers or measure them and search for new ones of better quality.
]

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Are you guys backing these with heavier line when spooling them up?
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!+

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Are you guys backing these with heavier line when spooling them up?

I've just put a whole spool of whatever ice mono or fishing like I have around. Didn't back with anything

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2013, 08:24 PM »
I bought one of these direct from ec last year for 15 bucks. For that price its a sweet reel, but i will agree with others on the drag. Mine is not great. The adjustment is the problem. Tiny adjustment one way its too much drag, tiny bit the other and its too little of drag. Makes proper adjustment while fighting a fish suck bigtime. I use it for panfish so its not a big deal for what I use it for. And like I said, 15 bucks was very fair for this reel.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2013, 09:26 PM »
I think I will try one just have to switch handle from left to right hopefully that isn't a difficult process
Never to many short poles

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2013, 06:05 AM »
I saw the EC reels for sale at Dicks Sporting Goods for 24.99.
If you looking for one local, try there first.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Jeff in WI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2013, 07:07 AM »
I bought one of each, plastic spool and red alum. spool to try on my pan fish rods this year. Want to hopefully eliminate jig spin when fishing deep. Have not had a chance to play with them yet, but from the previous postings it looks like I need to check out the drag before
hitting the ice. I plan on backing them with some 6lb mono I have laying around and then 50 yds  of 3lb P-line on each.

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2013, 08:43 AM »
I love mine,but I love my Frabill reels to. O hell I love ice fishing Geezze we gota get some ice or I am going to go to the dock and fish with my ice rods and reels.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2013, 11:03 PM »
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the Eagle Claw aluminum spool inline last night.  I figured that probably 20% of my fishing is deep water where I would use the inline.  So with the EC being $55 dollars cheaper then the 6061.  I would try it first and if I really liked it maybe spend the cash and get a 6061 next.  Thanks everyone for the helpful tips.  I'll keep u posted on my likes and dislikes.  Fin

Offline jigginfireman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When hell freezes over I will fish that too!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2013, 12:08 AM »

I just spooled mine up. I noted the same drag issues you had Argo. When setting the drag it is a fine line between all the way on and all the way off. It seems like a decent reel but not fond of the drag.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Nov 24, 2013, 07:49 AM »

well a bud of mine does reel repair and in his shop he carries the 6061 , and the eagle claws , he likes the Wright & McGill due to the price , he also told me to come to the shop and tare one down and see whats on the inside , almost identical , , I may try one later in the season , but ordered another 6061 cause it held up very well last winter to one helluva perch and eye beating 

Offline PlagueWielder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 24, 2013, 11:01 AM »
I don't think the issue from the one I had was due to that. I'm not sure, but it just seemed like there was a little to much play between the gear teeth and the teeth on the spool. I took it apart and tried to see if I could get the play out of it, but couldn't. I had the knob has tight has I could get it on the spool, and it would drag fine then start slipping and clanking like the spool teeth and gear weren't tight to each other. I'm guessing that it was just one that slipped through quality control. If I new that I could get a good one I'd buy a couple. Actually liked it a bit more then the BB6061

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #27 on: Nov 24, 2013, 06:46 PM »
the eagle claws , he likes the Wright & McGill due to the price , he also told me to come to the shop and tare one down and see whats on the inside , almost identical

they are the same company

Offline IBEW-fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 24, 2013, 08:17 PM »

they do make a guard for the 6061 so your hand does not rub on the spool. ;)

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 24, 2013, 10:31 PM »
I think you're mistaking the Black Betty 6061 for the regular Black Betty. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.