Author Topic: "Project X" Underway  (Read 4436 times)

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
"Project X" Underway
« on: Mar 16, 2010, 03:38 PM »
Today I will begin my "Project X" as I have gather I beleive all the materials I need. I do not know how long it will take me to get a working model going but I estimate I will for sure have everything wrapped up for showing before next season.

A little background.

During the past season I had been sitting on the ice and came up with an idea to make myself something to save money. I asked around some non-IS sources for some ideas and got some interesting responses. From there my idea evolved from a homemade (copy cat) item to save money to something innovational thats not made by any commercial company.  Project X was born.

I've had many ideas in my life. Too many, and this time I've got one thats actually not half hard to pull off either so I'm psyched. I plan to patent the item as well so I apologize for being a jerk and having to be a bit sercretive but it will be well worth the wait. I will tell you though that if you don't think its exciting then you don't have a heart!

-Wrangler

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: "Project X" Underway
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2010, 04:28 PM »
Keep us posted. If it makes life easier and is cheaper than the other guy then I'll take 2.

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2010, 10:01 PM »
Keep us posted. If it makes life easier and is cheaper than the other guy then I'll take 2.
x2
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2010, 10:39 PM »
Nah, I want a bigger one!!!!     :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2010, 07:33 AM »
I just say Good Luck and follow your dreams, Dont let anyone tell you that you cant

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2010, 08:13 AM »
Atleast give us a clue as to its purpose. Otherwise this thread fails!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2010, 08:36 AM »
Today I will begin my "Project X" as I have gather I beleive all the materials I need. I do not know how long it will take me to get a working model going but I estimate I will for sure have everything wrapped up for showing before next season.

A little background.

During the past season I had been sitting on the ice and came up with an idea to make myself something to save money. I asked around some non-IS sources for some ideas and got some interesting responses. From there my idea evolved from a homemade (copy cat) item to save money to something innovational thats not made by any commercial company.  Project X was born.

I've had many ideas in my life. Too many, and this time I've got one thats actually not half hard to pull off either so I'm psyched. I plan to patent the item as well so I apologize for being a jerk and having to be a bit sercretive but it will be well worth the wait. I will tell you though that if you don't think its exciting then you don't have a heart!

-Wrangler

How are you going to copy cat an item and get a patent? Sounds fishy to me? And also, If you are making something to save money? Why would you need a patent?
A patent starts at 7 thousand dollars.

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2010, 11:37 AM »
Project X has been COMPLETED!

I have had a working design for about 2 months now and have been modifying things to the point where I haven't altered it for a few weeks. I have multiple units made as well to have fun with this winter and make everyone around me mad!

I plan to market to a couple commercial companies, however one in particular I hope will be on board as the item I'm sure will strike their fancy.  Of course at the point in my life I don't have the money to patent the item myself.  As someone mentions it definently costs a decent bit of money, although my project is not too elaborate and therefore it won't take many thousand dollars to submit... perhaps up to $2,500 it's been suggested - but even that I cannot afford at 24.  I do have many local friends who were engineers, investors, business owners, etc that I could ask to invest - but even then I'd rather not at this time. I would like to work out a small viewing with a company, hopefully. :)

Anyways, I went to school for marketing, business and finance and of course I'm a wildlife enthusiast which is why I like to fish.  I'd like to show a couple people the project to create a little more buzz! I also have no doubt that this is something folks would want, but outside reassurance is always good!  I'm telling you all - not only is this accessory useful for a bunch of reasons, but it's also darn cool as well.

If your a mod, or VERY long time subscriber and may be curious, send a pm and I will make a small video perhaps.  I will be checking with other folks though unless I already know you, as I really don't want my idea to leak out prematurely. (Not to be a jerk, and not saying the IS crew are bad people.  This group is one of the best clans going!)

Ps, do you have to know what it is or what it does to be curious?  Thats why it's called project x!  :P  We'll all know soon enough I swear!

Thanks for looking,

Ed the BR

Trooper Bri

« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2010, 05:59 PM »
If your a mod, or VERY long time subscriber and may be curious, send a pm and I will make a small video perhaps

I'll take advantage of this loophole. I've been a moderator on websites since the late 90's, including a fishing site (and I've been a member of that site for 8 years).

Please PM the video to me at your earliest convenience. ;)  ;D

Offline Kilroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2010, 06:19 AM »
You have created a weather machine that will keep my favorite side of the  lake locked in ice for 12 months out of the year..............Awes ome.   ;D

Good luck with whatever it is but you are killing some of us with curiosity now.  8)

Kilroy
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/382548/TeamSDlogo1-1.jpg

If It Smells Like Fish And Tastes Like Fish.......It Just Might Be Fish.

Kilroy Was Here ~~~o00o~(_)~o00o~~~

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2010, 10:51 AM »
Whatever it is, send me one and I will be an "official tester". Send two and Kilroy and I will test em for ya. Does it have anything to do with the Swedish Bikini Ice Fishing Team??? ;D ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 05, 2010, 12:18 PM »
You guys are funny!  I wish I could keep the lakes frozen at will and unfortunately no it doesn't have to do with the Sweedish Bikini team, but maybe that could be next?  Good idea though, if something goes down you will get co-credit Ice Dawg!

I'm glad there is a little buzz around the item! I am going to give a small preview to a couple folks and am considering making a couple samples for some as well. Of course I will be using 5 for myself here in RI this winter and on the occassions my old man gets out, he may use a couple. So a few locals may get a chance to see them first hand as well.

Few things ever became popular without an underground following first.  As a hint, this won't catch more fish, doesn't attract fish, make you a better fisherman and isn't the best thing since sliced bread. It is however FUN and serves a bunch of functions so it's really versatile. Best of all it's not very hard to make so if I sold them as a hobby or a company made them they wouldn't be too hard on the wallet!      Am I making this worse or better?!

Thanks again,
Ed

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #12 on: Sep 05, 2010, 12:31 PM »
[quote
Few things ever became popular without an underground following first.  As a hint, this won't catch more fish, doesn't attract fish, make you a better fisherman and isn't the best thing since sliced bread. It is however FUN and serves a bunch of functions so it's really versatile. Best of all it's not very hard to make so if I sold them as a hobby or a company made them they wouldn't be too hard on the wallet!      Am I making this worse or better?!
[/quote]

Oh boy! A self-opening beer with a pop-up sandwich?! :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #13 on: Sep 05, 2010, 02:25 PM »
I can only think of a few reasons to keep a good idea to yourself. One would be that you need to market the item to make some money. The other would be to feel good about yourself in thinking you have something no-one else has or thought of. I hope you think you can make some money, even though you said its easy to make.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #14 on: Sep 05, 2010, 03:21 PM »
I would be more thn willing to check it out and give yah my thoughts on it.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Sep 05, 2010, 05:52 PM »
this has intreged me for awhile   still waiting to see what it was/is    What caught my eye was project X      Is this a way of disposing of X's permantly?  lol   Ill take one   Id even ask the wife if she wanted one too   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #16 on: Sep 05, 2010, 07:13 PM »
Ed
 After watching the Vid, I can agree that Project X has a place in alot of peoples gear bag. I will be looking forward to it hitting the market.

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 05, 2010, 08:58 PM »
Thanks for initial interest, the view and reply Stumper! I appreciate the good feedback. (But wouldn't have minded bad either!)  I will keep you in the loop of whats going on and if it reccomended to need testing you will be on the list! You may be anyways as I need someone to get one to break to find their fail point! Fun stuff.  Even then the part that fails would be fully replaceable as of how I have it.

MichanaFisherman, I agree with what you say absolutely. This is why I'd like to give out a preview of my idea, without just completely throwing it out there as of yet.  With the way communication is now a days, whether it works for or against you I'm not sure - I guess it's best to leave out of the extreme eye, but of course give the project some credibility. The issue with this here is that the idea/device works off such a simple concept and my design is practical as it comes. I'm just remembering Tesla at the moment.

I appreciate the interest everyone. I've pretty much sent out the videos I am going to, keep checking in and I will keep you updated!

MaineHaz... Good to see you around again, I've got something different to show you that I've been working on.

Thanks again for viewing,

Ed

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 05, 2010, 10:11 PM »
Not sure what u got but I'm all up for some field testing if u need. :tipup:

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 06, 2010, 08:03 AM »
Ed
 After watching the Vid, I can agree that Project X has a place in alot of peoples gear bag. I will be looking forward to it hitting the market.

I agree with stumper. after watching the video,it has me interested. I am wondering how it will stand up to a harsh Wisconsin winter. if you need a field tester, let me know.thanks for the chance to look at PROJECT X.

HIMO
                                         Iceshanty Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 06, 2010, 08:35 AM »

I agree with stumper. after watching the video,it has me interested. I am wondering how it will stand up to a harsh Wisconsin winter. if you need a field tester, let me know.thanks for the chance to look at PROJECT X.

HIMO
                                         Iceshanty Moderator

I also had a chance to watch the video.  I have the same concerns of how it would do once on the ice... -10 wind chill, blowing snow, getting banged around...  The true test is yet to come...But if it passes, there will be many sold...

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 06, 2010, 09:30 AM »
Hey Bait, can I see the video? I've been active here for a couple seasons now. Plus I am to lazy to try and steal any ideas lol

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #22 on: Sep 06, 2010, 11:56 AM »
Thanks for the reply Beever and and Himo! Once again I appreciate the curiousity very much - helping my item generate a little credibility and aiding the idea in making a wave on the ice fishing scene is a great help!

Woohoo some potential pitfalls as well! Those are two things which are definently on the most important list. As far as durability, essentially it's all in the enclosure holding up because thats what keeps the water out and keeps everything where it needs to be. But the cold does funky things to plastic! Another thing is the cold usually always has it's way with batteries.

Two good resolutions are that there are many enclosures companys out there and I'm sure one has a solution for cold weather plastics and could produce a nice custom fit. Although I'm not really looking to get things made for myself and what I have now is actually remarkably snug and moderately rugged. (As opposed to when I first began the project... things being held by velco straps, hanging wires and pieces... it was bad.  Another is that I could use a better power source to give better battery life in the cold... I just currently don't know how to wire that. However with time I could learn, but my main goal is to sell the idea and then work with a company to develop a perfect one. Since as mentioned I know how to make a near perfect one but don't know how to physically put it together.  I actually have the pieces, just have never tried because I know I can't. LOL :)

I want to work with a company as well because I don't want it to get ruined. As I have it now I consider it awesome... it's simple, practical, and extremely versatile as far as it's use. Little room for operating error - I like things that way!

Fingers crossed someone will take interest in it soon.

Thanks again all,
Ed

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 06, 2010, 05:12 PM »
That is a great little invention. I would be shocked if someone who is in the Ice Fishing gear business didn't express interest. I certainly know that if the price was right (idk how much it cost to make one right now) I would definitely buy them for 5 of my tipups.

Although I would worry that they might steal the idea instead of work with you.

If you didnt check out the UPA's website yet this is their how-to page. You can even apply online for one I believe.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/howtopat.htm

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #24 on: Sep 07, 2010, 10:28 AM »
Thanks for the good words and the info Osmo! I've made my self aware with a lot of the patent infomation but as I and others have said - it costs a good bit of money. Currently I don't have that at my disposal and I'm not apt to ask for it... although I could get the money quite readily. 

You brought up a great point... affordability! For me, I can make these for under $7 each and thats just me buying the stuff one at a time! Not bad!

I'm glad you see what I am talking about with the idea being the brunt of the material here.  You can see that you could likely accomplish what I'm doing in a multitude of ways, but as I said to get it to work using basic components is another story.  Then on the other hand even with a patent, someone could easily take my idea and reproduce the device without ever really infringing on my patent or original design. (Ie. What Tesla did with Edisons light bulbs, like I said!)  Thats the problem with todays day and age and I guess even with great thinkers of the past... the mind is a very complex thing and unless a machine is very unforgiving in nature - you can reproduce anything in many different ways. You can protect how to do something but you can't protect the idea unless it's deeply encrypted into the device. This definently isn't, if you saw one in hand you will know 100% how it works. But that goes with everything in life.  How many different manufacturers of motor engines are there, telescopes... heck we even have multiple particle colliders in the world.  Crazy.

Thanks again all!

Ed

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 07, 2010, 02:28 PM »
That is true. They could easily bypass any patent you had. The advantage you have is the head start. Good luck man, let me (us) know when you start producing some that you can sell. I will def pay for 5 of them.

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Sep 07, 2010, 02:48 PM »
keep us updated....im definately interested
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #27 on: Sep 07, 2010, 03:23 PM »
I'm still here waiting to see what it is.  ;D

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Sep 07, 2010, 05:21 PM »
It's project X,,, not going to tell us what it is. Don't want anyone to make it better...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #29 on: Nov 12, 2010, 11:03 PM »
Getting closer to ice, got any demos ready?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.