Author Topic: Vexilar Question  (Read 4436 times)

Offline goony28

• IceShanty Rookie
Vexilar Question
« on: Feb 02, 2009, 09:31 PM »
I'm new to the ice fishing community but have been an avid angler my entire life.  Made the investment on the basic necessities to be out on the ice and have been successful.  On the internet I read all this hype about Vexilars and was looking for some input if they are worth the money.  I enjoy being on the ice and know i would use it if I had one but, are they really worth the money? Happy Fishing!

Offline snohiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just give me water hard or not and ill be happy
Re: Vexilar Question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2009, 09:35 PM »
got mine last year   cant imagine fishing with out it 

Offline UpstateNYiceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fear no fish....
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2009, 09:48 PM »
I've been fishing under a Vexilar for 2 years now.  My catch rates have gone up 3 to 5 fold.  Best investment you can make for ice fishing.  You can take my power auger...don't touch my Vexilar!!!
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while..."

Offline Eyewall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2009, 10:04 PM »
Worth every penny!!!
epicicefishing.com

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2009, 10:20 PM »
Get more machine for less money, buy a Lowrance X67c.

Offline sageur

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2009, 10:31 PM »
Stick with a vex or marcum it will last longer
If the ice is tipping move to the center

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2009, 11:02 PM »
Stick with a vex or marcum it will last longer

Last longer than what?
My Lowrance flasher is at least 15 years old and still running, same with my graph.
There are still Little Green Boxes out there working and they were the first depth sounders built.

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:07 AM »
I personally love my marcum LX-5 :bow:. With that said any flasher will do the job.. Look into them alot and ask around before you buy.. I'd leave the auger, tent, heater, etc... before i left my flasher @ home..  Once you use one you'll wonder how ice fishing was ever possible without one.. Even my wife loves going ice fishing now..  Good Luck!!! :icefish:

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:16 AM »
Considering you'll never get a different answer if this question is ask 500 times, I think threads like this should be banned from shanty.  :-*

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:20 AM »
flasher is my most powerful weapon in my arsenal. as far as vex vs. marcum...do your homework and decide which works best for you. look for features such as bottom zoom and dual angle beam. as well as max depth range. every year the debate rages on marcum vs. vex. and it is uaually a case of familiarity and comfort. although i have only ever owned a vex, im sure the marcums work well too. check out the threads in the equipment section or use the search option.

Snot Rocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:34 AM »
My friend needed to borrow my vex to check out his hole, and as soon as he pulled it out I felt blind and stopped fishing until he gave it back. It's really wierd how attached I got to it

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:22 AM »
Vexilar and Marcum have parts in them that wear out, and need to be sent back to the factory to be fixed.

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:24 AM »
Without a doubt the single most valuable piece of hard-water gear I own....Vex FL-18!

Like Snot Rocket stated....do your research and pick the unit that best suits your style...which ever one you decide on will up your catch and in my opinion, your enjoyment also. ;D
"Feet Down and Bellys Up!!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:04 AM »
Without a doubt the single most valuable piece of hard-water gear I own....Vex FL-18!

Like Snot Rocket stated....do your research and pick the unit that best suits your style...which ever one you decide on will up your catch and in my opinion, your enjoyment also. ;D

exactly.  i prefer the simplest units (less for me to confuse and scew up) and for me that is vexilar.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:46 AM »
Sounds like if you've already had some success catching fish the flasher is next in line for you. They are one of the best tools out there for eliminating unproductive waters. They tell you depth, if you have fish down there, and you can see where your lure is. That tells you that you know you have what they want, where they want it.
Then it's easy. If they're not the active fish you're looking for you know it's time to move to find some that are.
And yes, they are a good investment. I've had my Vexilar FL8slt for over ten years and have had no problems with it ever. It's still on the original battery that came with it.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:00 AM »
they are all good buy what you can afford   I'm a vex owner  but that showdown is a pretty nice tool   although fragile    for some reason  it blows fuze's  so buy a box of em to have on hand
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline swillerjig

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On!!!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:24 AM »
I fished with a friend that had one, and I bought one that weekend,  it's like fishing blind now
Fishing is not a hobby it's a way of life!!!

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2009, 12:38 PM »
My six year old son gets upset if the Vexi is not in his hole.  It was unbelievable how quickly he learned to understand the display.  When suspended fish come through, he brings his bait up and can generally ice one.  He has also learned how to tease them up off the bottom and get them to bite.  It's a great tool and it's so simple a child can use it.

Q

Offline SYLVANB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:13 PM »
I just bought a Vexilar and will be trying it out this weekend and I am sooooooooooooo happy that I will finally be able to have EYES in the water as opposed to fishing blind !!!! Oh, and I bought a power auger !!!! Let's go fishin !!!!!!

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2009, 02:08 PM »
Fishing without a flasher sucks.. Seriously!
The only problem is that once you use one, it is like a drug. You just have to have it every time you fish. Definitely helps your catch rate.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2009, 02:13 PM »
Fishing without a flasher sucks.. Seriously!
The only problem is that once you use one, it is like a drug. You just have to have it every time you fish. Definitely helps your catch rate.

It's true!!!!! Mine had an issue last time I went out (for some reason it would'nt power on) and I was completly lost and had no confidence.   :embarassed:
I had no idea how deep it was or even if there were any fish around.  ???    ???     ???

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2009, 04:55 PM »
I would personally stick with a color flasher of some sort.. My buddy has a showdown and for me its hard to tell a good difference between the dark vs. gray.. When on mine it is either yellow, green, or red.. Makes a world of difference.. GOOD LUCK!!! :icefish:

Offline upperchpounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:01 PM »
I currently have an fl-20 vexi.  I love it.  As for "vexilar", imo, they make the best flasher.  Marcum is a heck of a flasher as well.  Have you heard of the "showdown"?  Look that up as well.  All things being equal, a flasher is worth the money!

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:15 PM »
Listen to what I say...I will not fish without mine...will not.....get aggrevated when me and my brother are in the shanty and he puts it in his hole....for only 5 mins.......I would bet I can out fish someone without one 5-1 at least I do when I'm fishing with my brother.... :laugh:
Duane

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:43 PM »
We are a two Vex family here!!  I have a FL20 and my wife uses a FL8SE Genz Box.

Jeff

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:50 PM »
Soon to be a two vex man myself. FL18 pro pack and FL20 ultra. Thought about selling the 18 on this site as I sold my FL8 a few years ago but then I came to my senses. When i have a guest with me we are always moving the vex from hole to hole. Now I will have that base covered.

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:24 PM »
There is no going back to fishing without one once you have tried it.

If you like to hunt, you can compare fishing with it to hunting. Would you rather just walk out to the woods and find a place that "looks good" and hunt there for the whole season or would you rather scout out an area for a few months prior to season and place your stand in the best area?? I personally own a Fl-8, I have seen people using the Fl-18, Fl-20, showdown, Marcum, and the Lowrance. All work for the intended purpose. Guys think of flashers about the same way as trucks...... "My Chevy is tougher than your Ford"..."My Dodge is the best".

:flex: By the way, Chevrolets are the best.  :whistle: 

Offline stantonff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:07 PM »
I just ordered one from vexilar, one of the referb units. It says it is going to be here on thursday.....just in time for the weekend. I can hardly wait.

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:59 PM »
I got my flasher after being up to Mille Lacs perch fishing 1 time.  Used one of the guys flashers up there and came home from the trip and bought one.  Now I will never go without it.  Sunday I doont know if I could have caght the crappie I caught without it. I ended up fishing in 5' of water cause that was the only oplace to find fish and that was because of the flasher and hopping from hole to hole.
<br />

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:06 PM »
Invest in one you'll love it.  It is the best thing in my icefishing arsenal!
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.