Author Topic: This should teach you to fish next to me.  (Read 4491 times)

Offline boblee

• Team IceShanty Regular
This should teach you to fish next to me.
« on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:50 PM »
So as many as you know when you put out a permenant ice shack people are always going to swarm in on you.  lately I have noticed that a few of the same shacks keep following me.  If i fish one side so do they,  if i move to the other side, soon they do too.  now i like to fish away from the crowds as i have a dog and kids that like to play around.   so last week i thought what the heck i pulled my shack from 15 feet of water out to upwards of almost 35 feet just to see what they would do.  went out there this morning in my portable and sure as heck there right out there with me.  Now im a curious fisherman, always wondering how the other shacks are doing but come on find your own spots now and then.  I might leave my shanty there all winter!!

Offline bisceglia

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: This should teach you to fish next to me.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:57 PM »
people are dumb :laugh:
all fishermen are liars, except me and you... but i'm not so sure about you

Offline trout chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2009, 01:01 PM »
when did you purchase the water you fish on    might  be  cause  your  da  man   everyone wants to  be  like   ya  right

Offline Mr.Buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I swear there was a fish on!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2009, 01:08 PM »
sorry I'll stay away from your shack from now on  ;)

I think were all guilty of this from time to time, if I go fish a new lake that ive never been on and there's a permanant shack out there, I'll try a few holes around that area.  I still enjoy learning the lake though and trying lots of different spots  ;D
Two fishes swimming side along and one looks at the other and tells him "I had a near death experiance today, I was swimming along and next thing I knew I was getting pulled down a tunnel with a bright light at the end, i got to the light, looked around and my friends and family were there.  And I saw jesus! And he wears a budweiser hat and he said, it is not your time, go back and I will come for you when you are bigger"

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2009, 01:17 PM »
That was a pretty good spot you moved to, I caught a 30lber out of there! lol just kidding. I know what you mean, half the time people see me and start fishing next to me its pretty annoying. I guess thats a downer of standing out in a crowd..
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline HawkEyeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2009, 01:21 PM »
Well, if your lakes are anything like the busy lakes I fish on then all the permanent shacks are in all the most likely spots. Now, I'm not going to make excuses for people following you around with their own permanent houses... but for us guys with portables there's not much for us to do about it and STILL fish in good spots.

Last weekend I went to a lake I've only fished a few times. I looked at a topogrpahic map of the lake and found a couple of likely spots to find fish... Sure enough, when I got to the lake all the folks with permanent houses had done the same. As a result, my and my portable set up near the permanent houses. Literally EVERY likely spot (on the map) was just COVERED by permanent houses.... So, I could fish where most everyone agrees won't hold fish OR I could set up near permanent shacks. Kinda stinks but whaddya gunna do? :(

As for the people that follow you around the ice, I don't know. You could put one of those bumper stickers that say "If you can read this......" on your house. Maybe they'd get the message?  ???

Offline JuvyK

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Feels Like a Nice One...
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2009, 01:30 PM »
I dont use hardsides to find the fish, but I do use hardsides to find where I like to fish. I use them like markers so I know where I need to be to find fish. Like this year I found a honey hole 20 yds to the west of this guys hardside, so if the bite is slow I know where to go. Next year I will have a hardside on this lake instead of draging my Otter out there. Good Luck fishing and that would be annoying to have guys fishing right next to your hardside all year. But take it as a compliment that they trust you to know where the fish are.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2009, 01:40 PM »
i guess im pretty lucky! i have never had any one within 15 feet of my shanty..

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2009, 01:57 PM »
Maybe you should have fun with it. Catch a bucket of fish like perch/crappies/bluegills. Move your shack into an area that is pretty much devoid of fish. After you know that the others have followed you and they are in there shanties, move on in with your bucket of "stuff." Every once in awhile toss a fish onto the ice until you have a big pile outside the door. Every once in awhile check and see how the others are doing. Point to your pile and say, "Only got a few small ones." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2009, 02:49 PM »
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2009, 03:07 PM »
That was a pretty good spot you moved to, I caught a 30lber out of there! lol just kidding. I know what you mean, half the time people see me and start fishing next to me its pretty annoying. I guess thats a downer of standing out in a crowd..

Hey AirManCam, That callus on your back must be getting big from you patting it all the time HAHAHAHA!!

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2009, 03:13 PM »
A guide on Upper Red lake told us do not put any fish out side your shacks and watch what you are saying on the two way radios. Did not help came back for a night bite and a portable was set up between us.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:11 PM »

Hey AirManCam, That callus on your back must be getting big from you patting it all the time HAHAHAHA!!

AirmanCam aka the best pike fisherman OF ALL TIME. But don't take my word for it, just ask him. He is always happy to remind everyone about it. A 40 incher, or 2, or 3 every time out. yeah, OK ??????:laugh: ;)

The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:20 PM »
They did that to me on Toga! Unreal   >:(  No hardside there this year "no fish"   :laugh:

dav
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2009, 08:08 PM »
everyone avoids me on the ice because if they come anywhere within 50 yards of me they won't catch anything because i will be catching them all. ;D ;D :icefish:

Offline big nor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:51 AM »
Im not a shanty fisherman but i know where your coming from just put in shallow and fish with your other shanty!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2009, 11:51 AM »
I know a guy that puts out a couple of decoy shanties to keep the sheeple fishing in non productive water.  :D

Offline tarantula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2009, 12:27 PM »
I had this happen to me this past weekend while
fishing a derby. I was on a hole producing a gill
everytime I dropped the jig down the hole then
out of a shanty was a young fellow that I have
talked to while I was at work and he procedes to
drill a hole, no kidding, within 5' of me. As I was
still plucking gills from the hole he tried fevorously
for 30 minutes to try to catch one himself with no
luck. I just sat on my bucket and LMAO on the inside.

Offline Mr.Buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I swear there was a fish on!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2009, 02:45 PM »
I had this happen to me this past weekend while
fishing a derby. I was on a hole producing a gill
everytime I dropped the jig down the hole then
out of a shanty was a young fellow that I have
talked to while I was at work and he procedes to
drill a hole, no kidding, within 5' of me. As I was
still plucking gills from the hole he tried fevorously
for 30 minutes to try to catch one himself with no
luck. I just sat on my bucket and LMAO on the inside.

Same thing happened to me on delta lake, sittin out there catchin crappies and my buddy comes up all pissed off because he's not catching anything and bores a hole about a foot away from mine. I still caught all the fish and he got skunked!   LMAO  :laugh:
Two fishes swimming side along and one looks at the other and tells him "I had a near death experiance today, I was swimming along and next thing I knew I was getting pulled down a tunnel with a bright light at the end, i got to the light, looked around and my friends and family were there.  And I saw jesus! And he wears a budweiser hat and he said, it is not your time, go back and I will come for you when you are bigger"

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2009, 03:26 PM »
my hardside has not seen the ice in 2yrs for this reason.  now i just take my portable and go.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:10 PM »
if someone comes by you just be a annoying nieghbor and shine your outdoor light at them make all sortsa noise aske them non stop if the fish are biting while licking your lips drill holes next to them for no reason at all... sure its annoying but hey long as there are more than 15 feet away i have no problem...

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:18 PM »
Sometimes I look like the pied piper with a bunch of morons fishing my old holes.  I drill all the holes were the fish are not......everybody takes my old holes.  Then I move across the lake and drill one hole for myself.  It is getting so bad I need to fish in a shack so no one will sit in my back pocket and fish. Or see that it is me...or how many fish I am catching. ;)
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:30 PM »
if you can chum in your area, get a bunch of thick hot dogs, stick a peice of string in the end, light the string and drop it down the hole, see what they say to that! ;D ;D

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2009, 06:41 AM »
 Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.Do you play the fife as you lead the rats around the lake!!!lol
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:22 AM »

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2009, 11:00 AM »
Had some guys come up within yards of me one day and set up.  I was in my portable and had my vex in a hole.  Thay had a sonar to and could hear them talking how our frequencies were crossing.  Never said a word to them but just as soon as my vex cleared up I would switch channels and screw em up.  They had a hell of a time marking any fish.  They finally left :D

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2009, 02:48 PM »
when did you purchase the water you fish on    might  be  cause  your  da  man   everyone wants to  be  like   ya  right
WoW its called common courtesy. everybody needs at least 3 feet personal space. its like someone coming up to you nose to nose n talking to you. hopefully some peoples kids do opposite of what they see or are taught

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2009, 03:59 PM »
I love when you come out the next day and people are in the same holes with their tip ups and jiggin outta the others...I just laugh set up and catch fish right in front of them. Cut them off on the boards by hitting the deeper outsides and and the start and ends of their spread...a very good tactic. After awhile watching me catch fish right next to them and my tip ups are getting all the attention,they usually call it a day or move. My girlfriend gets mad,sets up super fast and starts throwing fish outta the portable and doesn't talk to anyone...god I love her!Most guys really get a lil pissy when a girl is out fishing them! 8)
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2009, 05:01 PM »
I see where you guys are coming from but personaly as a shantyless fisherman on several particular waters the shanties are set up on the only productive spots and the guys then feel like they own that particular stretch of water simply because they have a nice warm place to sit instead of being stuck outside so we always make sure we are the first group on the lake and while we would never set up within 15 20 feet of a shanty by any means we do set up on the producitve streatches of water within 50-75 feet of these shacks were their owners have drilled before because they produce fish  not trying to stir the pot here just stating my .2 cents
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2009, 10:44 AM »
if you can chum in your area, get a bunch of thick hot dogs, stick a peice of string in the end, light the string and drop it down the hole, see what they say to that! ;D ;D
  I'm pretty sure I would move if I saw a guy next to me lighting hot dogs and dropping them down the hole. I wouldn't want to get run over by the twinkie truck when it came to take him away. I have to admit that I don't really enjoy fishing in the middle of a shanty city. :o :D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.