Author Topic: What size hardside? cant decide?  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
What size hardside? cant decide?
« on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:00 PM »
Well next spring i want to build a hard side shanty but i cant decide on size. I was thinking a 6x10 but i have been leaning towards a 8x10 here lately just because it would mean less cutting and less waste. The shack will be used on Keweenaw bay for smelt and what ever wlse i can catch and maybe used on the small local lake for the fishing derby that they have. It needs to be light so it is easy to pull with a wheeler or sled. May sleep in it once or twice also depends on how much i drink while smelting haha also derby day imma sleep in it.

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What size hardside? cant decide?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:09 PM »
I went 6x9. Tin roofing which I am going to use for siding covers 3' and I was able to get 4x9 sheets of osb for the floor and roof. so I have very little waste on material. Actually no waste yet.

Offline damdiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2014, 04:39 PM »
8' width makes a huge difference in size, and like you say less wasted materials.

sunniewally

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2014, 06:40 PM »
make it wide enough if you want to put bunks across the back. 6ft is a little short unless your very short.

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Hey Im only 5'4" ;D

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:16 PM »
8' width makes a huge difference in size, and like you say less wasted materials.

That is what i was thinking i would have to cut atleast 2 feet off of the 2x4 off of the floor if I went with 6 foot. For the siding i think i am gonna use 1/4 lunan plywood on the out side and 1/8 lunan on the inside. So i would have to cut them also if i went with 6.

make it wide enough if you want to put bunks across the back. 6ft is a little short unless your very short.

That is what made me think about going with 8 foot. More then likely i will be the only one sleeping in it.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:52 AM »
Just don't end up being one of the masses that a month after you build it you find yourself wishing it was a little bigger.

This is the trap I always fall into  ???

WS

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Not sure I you started this build yet or not? But if you go 10 ft you may as well go 12, easy math with 4x8 sheeting is to build a 8x12, that is what I did and I am happy I went with that size. Just make sure your skids are at least a foot wide each and you shouldn't have any trouble pulling it with a quad.

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2014, 04:16 PM »

Go bigger and lighter..... Save up for lightweight materials and go as big as you can get away with....Lightweight and strong materials are not the cheapest way to go, but you will be happier in the end. My vote is for the 8x12 for sure. That is an efficient size for little waste.

Good luck, 

Jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2014, 06:15 PM »
Dont they say bigger is better?! lol Minimal waste is a good idea I would say.
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2014, 06:24 PM »
Growing up my dad always had a 6 x 10 (inside) and when it was destroyed on shore by unknown people, we always said we would build a 8 X 12. That was around 19 years ago, still no shack. :-(

Offline Keptafew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Bigger is better until its time to take it off at the end of the season  :unsure:
A man should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 09, 2014, 01:24 PM »
Bigger is always better when it comes to ice shack size. Mine is 6.5' x 14 with a 3' V nose so 17 foot overall.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.