Author Topic: weight of shacks?  (Read 5647 times)

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
weight of shacks?
« on: Oct 18, 2004, 03:56 PM »
i was just wondering how much everyones hard side shacks weigh and how much ice before you take them on and leave them. since this is my first year with a shack I'm asking alot of questions. almost done building it just have some outside trim and some caulking ,some inside decorative paneling ,some hole covers and hook up the furnace now i just have to find a way to get it to the lake or i might just be pretending to ice fish this year

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: weight of shacks?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2004, 04:46 PM »
my 8x8 hardshack weighs about 400 lbs but it is brand new.they put on a few pound over the years so its good to start as light as possible.i will pit it out when i see 5" of good clear ice!!hope this helps and remeber your ice picks!!

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2004, 08:27 AM »
never actually weighed my 6x10 shanty....but i would easily guestimate the weight to be at least 2000lbs plus....i would feel comfortable putting it on 5-6 inches of clear hard ice....last year when i set it up, i actually drove on 8 inches...but this was clear and hard...the next day i moved it out to a preferred spot that had 10-11 inches.....where it stayed for the remainder of the hardwater season......be safe, and make sure you're equipped with picks, rope and a buddy in case you get into a bad spot....Grump :tipup:

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2004, 11:27 AM »
My new 6x8 is at least 1000 pounds, possibly more. We have a winch to get it on and off the trailer, and this year I bought a Indy 650 triple and studded the track to pull it around/off the lake as needed. I do have a clam portable for days when we want to try something new too.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2004, 04:30 PM »

:o :o  What is it?  A ranch or colonial.  3 bedrooms and 2 full baths and an eat in kitchen.  How about a full basement?   ;D  Just kidding and I though my Shapel was heavy.
lol slipbob that was a typo i meant 400 it is actually very light.when everything is in it and all set up maybe 600 or so but my stove and heater are removable as they would probably get stolen!!

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2004, 05:07 PM »
hey,  his nick isn't "billditrite"  :flex: for nothing.  i believe i saw a 2 snomobile garage and a sunroom off the back too. :roflmao: :woot:
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2004, 10:17 PM »
this is good news for me everyone i talked to told me my shack will be too heavy to move around on the ice and snow . i figured  on my 8x8 with the weight of the wood and stove and paint should be around 700lbs .the only big troubles i have is the trailer i borrowed is 42 inches up off the ground and was not made for tilting very well  i hope i can figure a way to pulley and a ladder to get it up there.

Offline Retired ECO

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2004, 03:21 PM »
If you can walk on the ice it will support a large ice shanty, it gets down to pounds per square inch. The problem may lie in the vehicle used to place the shanty on the ice. A snowmobile with place less pounds per square inch the a ATV due to the track of a snowmobile in relation to each single tire of a ATV. It's interesting that a discussion about pounds per square inch came up last winter with a Mennonite friend of mine as we stood by the pond that I had stocked fat head minnows in. It had about four inches of new clear hard ice on it, he asked me if I would walk on it and I stated that would be no problem, he then asked if I would drive my 2002 pickup on it and I stated "no way", he laughed and said he would be right back, he came from the barn with his "older than dirt" Cat D-4 and drove that sucker right out on the pond, turned around and drove it off. He then jumped down and gave me a quick course in math that I still don't fully understand, he attempted to show me that my feet placed more pounds per square inch on the ice than his old dozer. Couldn't argue with him as he had just drove a dozer on 4 inches of ice and all was dry. In summation: Howard is one of the most intelligent people that I have ever met and correct my English from time to time.   To all, have a great hardwater season !!!!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2004, 05:34 PM »
Couldn't argue with him as he had just drove a dozer on 4 inches of ice and all was dry.
:cookoo:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.