Author Topic: Targeting river pike on a spawning creek, too early?  (Read 2010 times)

Offline smokemetallic

• IceShanty Rookie
Targeting river pike on a spawning creek, too early?
« on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:37 PM »
Due to the awesome ice conditions, I have an opportunity to fish medium size slow moving creek, with a muddy bottom, about 4 to 8ft deep, that feeds a small shallow bay on a river. The creek is miles long and drains an extensive marshland. In the spring, on the season opener , I have hammered northerns in the bay on the river and quite a ways up the creek, casting, so I'm assuming it's a prime spawning area.
Is it worth a shot to try the creek now, close to the mouth where it enters the bay?  I would try the bay but ice isn't safe enough for me.  Only two weeks left in the season.
Thanks for any opinions.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Targeting river pike on a spawning creek, too early?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2015, 09:12 PM »
Due to the awesome ice conditions, I have an opportunity to fish medium size slow moving creek, with a muddy bottom, about 4 to 8ft deep, that feeds a small shallow bay on a river. The creek is miles long and drains an extensive marshland. In the spring, on the season opener , I have hammered northerns in the bay on the river and quite a ways up the creek, casting, so I'm assuming it's a prime spawning area.
Is it worth a shot to try the creek now, close to the mouth where it enters the bay?  I would try the bay but ice isn't safe enough for me.  Only two weeks left in the season.
Thanks for any opinions.
Yes! The best day I ever had fishing pike through the ice was a very similar scenario. Except we were in the bay and the river was open water. All the bigger fish came fom the mouth. We had 25 flags by noon and iced 21 pike up to 16lbs.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2015, 06:44 PM »
Could not ask for a better scenario. some nice dead bait and you are all set. All the big females are FULL of eggs right now!

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2015, 03:33 AM »
Could not ask for a better scenario. some nice dead bait and you are all set. All the big females are FULL of eggs right now!
Yes! I hope he reads this and is still able to get on this bay. If its the only setback off that river current for a ways, it could be huge! I had three flags up at once at times fishing this situation the last week of the season last year.
I am Muskies Inc.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.