Author Topic: Average growth chart for esox  (Read 4435 times)

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Average growth chart for esox
« on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Does anyone know of some figures on how these fish grow? I have a pretty good idea but would like some accurate numbers for a lake I'm doing research on.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Average growth chart for esox
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:38 AM »
 I am interested also. At a boat landing, I seen a thing DNR posted about releasing large pike , at 30 some in. I think they are 10 years old

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2015, 08:42 AM »
I asked the biologist about the growth rate of pike in lake Champlain and he sent me a graph. The average was 9-10yrs to reach 36-38in and an additional 3-4yrs to reach 40-42in.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:18 AM »
Awesome guys thanks! Does anyone have some info on tigers?
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2015, 08:14 AM »
I saw an article that compared different lakes, there a vast difference in growth from one lake to another. Not sure if it was in in-fisherman or muskie hunter

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:17 PM »
Lots of variables for different regions.

Offline XXPikeMasterXX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2015, 02:12 PM »
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/pike/00pike_overview.htm

Here is a growth chart provided from research by the PFBC.  you can compare it to other research you find.   To my understanding of fish growth the further north you go the colder it gets and the shorter the growing season.   The further south you go the warmer it is and the longer the growing season is.  Hence the massive records out a lot of the southern reservoirs.

The PFBC has approximate growth data for a lot of the other species as well.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/musky/00overview_musky.htm           Growth data for Musky/Tiger Muskys

Hope this helps.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2015, 03:13 PM »
Very nice. Thanks!
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2015, 03:27 PM »
Start pulling a scale and measuring the fish you catch.  Scales have rings like a tree that you can see with magnification. 

You can also tell from otoliths, but have to kill the fish. To get them.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2015, 04:02 PM »
Actually the growth rate may be slower in the north but all the trophy pike come from the far north. They don't like warm water temps of the southern tier and don't live as long in the south. The farther south the less pike there are,most trophy water from Alaska ,Canada, Minnesota . They can live a long time up to 30 years.

Offline XXPikeMasterXX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2015, 09:56 AM »
Actually the growth rate may be slower in the north but all the trophy pike come from the far north. They don't like warm water temps of the southern tier and don't live as long in the south. The farther south the less pike there are,most trophy water from Alaska ,Canada, Minnesota . They can live a long time up to 30 years.

I totally agree that all the giants come from up north.  I was using southern reservoirs as an "example",  they catch 30# walleyes down there and the PA state record is like 18# respectively.  I think that he wanted Scientific data to compare too.  Best of luck.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2015, 10:11 AM »
I totally agree that all the giants come from up north.  I was using southern reservoirs as an "example",  they catch 30# walleyes down there and the PA state record is like 18# respectively.  I think that he wanted Scientific data to compare too.  Best of luck.

30 pounds, absolutely not. Low 20's as an extreme rarity. One freak 25. Not 30's not even close.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2015, 05:48 PM »
I think yall completly missed what FishNy was looking for.. from what i understood he was look for a Length Girth = weight formula.

Ive used the equation before but it just seems it inflates the actual weight by 5+lbs... And it can also under size the weight also..

I believe because it doesnt account for how long the girth carries the body.. We have all seen fish chunky from head to tail, and fish real big in the shoulders and slim out mid body..  So if you take a girth measurement at the shoulders and the fish slims down real fast after that its a flawed formula..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2015, 07:26 PM »
I think yall completly missed what FishNy was looking for.. from what i understood he was look for a Length Girth = weight formula.

Ive used the equation before but it just seems it inflates the actual weight by 5+lbs... And it can also under size the weight also..

I believe because it doesnt account for how long the girth carries the body.. We have all seen fish chunky from head to tail, and fish real big in the shoulders and slim out mid body..  So if you take a girth measurement at the shoulders and the fish slims down real fast after that its a flawed formula..

Its pretty clear to see he was not looking for a weight formula. He was looking for some figures on growth rates. At what rate they grow to what size.. and he got some good stuff right off.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:19 PM »
Its pretty clear to see he was not looking for a weight formula. He was looking for some figures on growth rates. At what rate they grow to what size.. and he got some good stuff right off.

Looks like i misunderstood then doesnt it !!! ;D I blew by his post saying thanks and didnt see it up there lol
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline XXPikeMasterXX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:01 AM »
30 pounds, absolutely not. Low 20's as an extreme rarity. One freak 25. Not 30's not even close.

Ok the current world record is 25#.  so I was off alittle bit.  Maybe it was 30" walleyes was what I was reading about.  sorry for the incorrect info.   but simple fact fish grow faster in warmer areas vs colder ones.  So you need to find other records to compare too. Thanks for the info.   Tight Lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.