Author Topic: live/dead wire/floro ?  (Read 3639 times)

Offline thorzep

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • when i last saw you i was just a learner, but now i am the master
live/dead wire/floro ?
« on: Dec 11, 2005, 01:23 PM »
well i know this is kinda a debate but i was wondering what you guys think.  which is better live bait or dead bait?  what kind?  and the whole leader debate again.  and what do you use for a main line?   im a relatively new ice fisher and this will be my first season targeting pike.  Is my 8" auger going to cut it?  i live in lower michigan.     Thanks for you help                 
                                                                                                    Thors icefishing stats:  nothing   yet!!!

Offline thorzep

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: live/dead wire/floro ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2005, 01:25 PM »
ill be using mainly tip-ups

Offline fishinboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2005, 03:07 PM »
thorzep,
I also live in lower Michigan and am interested in fishing for pike this year.  I fished for them minimally last year, using power pro braided line with a wire leader and hook.  I tried both live and dead bait, but didn't catch any northerns.  This year I am going to skip using the leader and attach the hook directly to the power pro, with a single medium split shot about a foot above the hook.  I use the old-fashion tip-ups with the three sticks, two that make a cross ove the hole and one that holds the spool under the water.  The pike shouldn't be able to bite through the line; power pro is pretty tough stuff.  I have heard that using a small live bluegill as bait is very effective; when pike are being picky they will want to eat forage that is natural to them.  People usually stun the fish and/or clip the fins to wound it.  From what I have heard, it is best to put the bait three to five feet under the ice, not near the bottom.  I have a six inch lazer auger, so hopefully I will do fine with that.  You should definitely be safe using an eight inch auger.  Hope this helps some...  Good luck fishing.  I'm still waiting for good ice where I live.
-Ryan

Offline WntrMrngWood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2005, 12:00 PM »
yeah, another lower michigan guy here also.  Where are you guys from?

like fishinboy, i used a steel leader the last couple of years, but am going to drop it this year.  instead, i'm gonna run a barrel swivel at the end of the main line, then add a few feet of flourocarbon (30-40lb) and tie to the treble.  the benefit of flourocarbon is its near invisibility underwater.  i know there is a chance of the flouro being cut on the teeth, but i'm gonna chance it this year

For the live v. dead bait issue, i have always used just live bait, but after reading info on this site, i will be trying both this year, and marking results.  i think that is something everybody will have to try on their own, and see what works best for them.  When i try the dead bait, i probably won't use a splitshot on the line.  I want there to be no resistance as the line is going through the water on a run.  if anything i will insert the weight in the dead bait itself.

for the main line, i really don't think it matters.  The only characteristics to be concerned with is its strength, and comfort on your hands when fighting the fish.
I use a 6" lazer also, and have had no problems pulling out the hammer handles that i catch :-[
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!!

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2005, 12:15 PM »
I know guys that do ol with dead, but I like to use live and cut 2/3rds of the tails off.  Mainly suckers between 5 & 6 inches, but depending on the price I will grab a few shinners.  1/2 a dozen at the most, cause they will all probably die on the way to the lake anyway.  If you aren't fond of leaders, I would try the tieable wire or the Invisa leader.  I know guys say they have never been cut off with mono, but I am not one of those guys.  I have been cut off on 30# braid. 

Offline fishinboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2005, 06:01 PM »
yeah, another lower michigan guy here also.  Where are you guys from?

I'm from Mattawan (Kalamazoo area) You?
-Ryan

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2005, 03:07 AM »
For main tip up line, don't use braid, it will cut your hands on a run. The best tip up line is HT Polar Vinyl Coated Tip Up Line. The 15 pound test is best.
As for leader, go with at least 15 pound fluorocarbon, better to use at least 20. It is difficult for pike to bite through it, but they still can. Play the fish more gently. Wire leader will reduce your catch almost anywhere, especially in clear, heavily fished lakes.
Live bait works a bit better than dead bait. If legal, using smaller live bluegills or perch is deadlier than nearly anything. The best deadbaits are 6 - 10" anchovies or fresh killed suckers. Rig them with an internal nail weight and use #6 or #8 trebles for baits in the 6" range.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2005, 08:36 AM »
Rig them with an internal nail weight and use #6 or #8 trebles for baits in the 6" range.
......what a great idea!!!!....spikes or finishing nails???? Grump

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2005, 08:49 AM »
Like most, I use stirctly live bait and see no other reason not to. I use wire leaders, berkley moly coated wire 25-30 lb. I have 80 lb dacron trolling line as my main line on the tipups and barrel swivel to the wire leader. I target large fish and do not like thin main line, its cold enough and that stuff can tear your hands up like mackdaddy said. I use medium/large baits and will run a few tipups with 10-12" suckers in case the slob swims by. I notice that as the season progresses my setup loses effectiveness and this season I am going to experiment with heavy (30-50lb) floro leaders and circle hooks to try and prevent bite-offs. I am anxious to see how guys trying the dead bait do this year, maybe therss somethin in it, but I gotta have it live.

Offline thorzep

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2005, 01:47 PM »
hmmm thanks what brand of florocarbon do you guys use?  what size trebles?

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2005, 05:41 PM »
hmmm thanks what brand of florocarbon do you guys use?  what size trebles?

I like the P - Line Fluorcarbon Leader that comes in 25 yard spools. Make sure you get the leader material as it's stiff and abrasion resistant. Stren High Impact Fluoro Leader is great too.
Really 15 - 20 pound test is all you need. If you get much bigger than that it really gets too thick to deal with. Just don't put tons of pressure on the fish.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2005, 05:43 PM »
......what a great idea!!!!....spikes or finishing nails???? Grump

Actually they make lead weighted sinkers for fishing that are built like nails with sharp points on the end. They are intended for plastic baits but they work with deadbait too.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2005, 08:36 PM »
put a piece of soldering into the mouth the length of the bait. holds it nice and level. more pliable than the nail.

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2005, 12:56 PM »
Mackdaddy21 -

Stop suggesting that people hide potentially lethal objects inside their bait. Some people might actually think you know what you are talking about and try it.

Give your head a shake  ::)

Offline suckerbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2005, 01:35 PM »
100 percent with you tip up. Weighting a bait with a nail is not ethical. What do you think happens when a  fish ingests your bait Mackdaddy?

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2005, 06:22 PM »
DO NOT WEIGHT YOUR BAIT WITH A NAIL!!!  GRR...

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2005, 05:34 PM »
i thought soldering pure lead that cant be to good and a nail in the bait thats cant be to good ether im with tip-up dont use wait thats not attached to your line!!!!!!!!

Offline fishinboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:14 PM »
had fish break off near hole because of cracks in ice @ bottom of hole.I now carry stick with a y to push line down so it doesn't get hung up.I use the goldens live, I have more luck with live bait .I

that's a great idea..I'd never even considered that problem before. :)
-Ryan

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2005, 06:01 PM »
I landed a 20 pound pike yesterday on 20 pound fluoro and even though the hooks and leader were in his mouth the leader was barely nicked at all. Will post a pic of the pike soon.

Offline Flagtailhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2005, 01:56 PM »
I landed a 20 pound pike yesterday on 20 pound fluoro and even though the hooks and leader were in his mouth the leader was barely nicked at all. Will post a pic of the pike soon.

I'd love to see that fish!

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2005, 02:36 PM »
I keep hearing that if you use anything but a fluoro leader, you will reduce the amount of fish you catch. That is a BS statement if you use the right kind of leader (other than flouro). I use the Malin Boa No-Kink Titanium stretch wire leader and it is thinner, stronger, will stretch, doesnt kink, can be tied using standard knots and is just as invisible in water as fluoro. I still catch Walleyes using the 35 lb test wire which is about the diameter of 6-8 lb test mono. I am betting that I lose less fish than the fluoro users since I have NEVER had a fish bite off my wire leader. I have had fish snap my 30 lb test braided tip up line so this year my main line is gonna be 150 lb test Power pro which is the same diameter as the 30 lb tipup line I have been using. I do prefer a live bait presentation over a dead bait but I know of some very effective Pike guys (Tipup for example) who uses nothing but dead bait and knocks them dead that way. Anyone who wants to try and outfish me with their Fluoro against my wire is welcome to meet me at Ft. Peck on February 8th.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

grumpymoe

« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2005, 03:06 PM »
I know of some very effective Pike guys (Tipup for example) who uses nothing but dead bait and knocks them dead that way. Anyone who wants to try and outfish me with their Fluoro against my wire is welcome to meet me at Ft. Peck on February 8th.
.....might just be a lonely day on the hardwater :roflmao:...right on!!!....Grump :thumbsup:

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2005, 09:01 PM »
[email protected] of all people are welcome in my camp anytime you Grumpy old man.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.