Author Topic: A little help with Newfound  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Mogwhy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you can't find them keep drilling!!!!!!!!!!!
A little help with Newfound
« on: Jan 17, 2009, 02:28 PM »
I use to fish Newfound once in a while for lakers and caught a few. I also set up for cusk out of Wellington back years and caught some. But now I would like to catch some rainbows and wondered if anyone would point me in a good direction/ area to fish for them. Thanks

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: A little help with Newfound
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2009, 04:25 PM »
welcome aboard Mogwhy,

Quite honestly, you can catch Rainbow anywhere on Newfound. 2' to 180', provided your fishing the top 10'.
I'm glad you posted this. 
I'm lookin for some help getting my shack on the ICE.  8'x7'.
I don't have a sled or 4wheeler.  I was planning on placing it south of Cummings, but I'd be happy to put it out off the boat launch. and moved to Whittemore later.  Just lookin to get to some decent hardwater and a suggestion of what beer to buy.

Cheers,
Newfound Bloodhound

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:31 AM »
Newfound,
     When are you putting it out?  I don't have a 4x4 or anything but if I'm in the area I would be glad to lend a hand.

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:55 AM »
Thanks Capt. Black.

I've taken it on the ice with 2 guys, but just ice.  Now with a few inches of snow, she's too heavy.
I'm out in my portable today, south of Cummings. Really just to try out my new Camera.
1/2 way between Cummings and the River.  Rough day to be out there.  Everything is fogging up.
I'm only fishing till noon.  Usually catch mine over there around 1-2pm.
I really appreciate the offer.  I may just drive it over to Wellington, and drop it off, so I don't have to drive it around with me all week.  Then get it off the boat launch some other time.
I'll be out there with some Heineken, and Michelob.

Cheers,
Newfound

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:58 AM »
quote: Quite honestly, you can catch Rainbow anywhere on Newfound. 2' to 180', provided your fishing the top 10'. * end quote

Yeah... but don't forget that by putting your bait that close to the ice, you're possibly going to hook more salmon too. F&G won't be too impressed if they check your lines and everything is up in salmon country.  ;D
To get rainbows without much fear of harming salmon, try real shallow water... five feet or less and use immobile bait on the bottom (eggs, powerbait, etc). Focus on sandy areas not far from some sort of current.
I am human. I am a predator. Don't ask me why I'm staring down a hole, waiting for a fish to bite. Its instinctive and I refuse to fight it.

Offline geo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:59 AM »
short water is good. i catch most of my rainbows on a size 6 red wire octopus hook and a big boy in 1-4 fow, but lately on newfound i have been fishing my smaller smelt over deep water and have been catching some bigger bows other that your average 17"-18" newfound rainbow. Mr. green jeans has checked me 2 time in 2 days. he didnt mess with my traps at all. just made sure i was legal.

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:05 AM »
That's cool. I have a friend that got the big run-around on Winni a couple days ago. The fish cops told him he was fishing in salmon territory because he was too close to the ice. They had the dog checking his portable and gear for any hint of salmon. I suppose its not such a big problem on Newfound. But, that CO said he had already caught a number of guys with salmon this year. I don't see why some people feel its worth the risk??
I am human. I am a predator. Don't ask me why I'm staring down a hole, waiting for a fish to bite. Its instinctive and I refuse to fight it.

Offline Mogwhy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:40 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. I hope to be coming up for a three day weekend during the derby.  Sorry I couldn't give you a hand with the shanty slip not but I'm about three and half hrs away.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:49 AM »
Not my shanty  ;D

You mean Newfound Bloodhound...  :laugh:

Offline Mogwhy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2009, 11:59 AM »
Not my shanty  ;D

You mean Newfound Bloodhound...  :laugh:

Yeah sorry about that!

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2009, 12:18 PM »
Definitely time for a sled.  Preferably a widetrack.  Even the Shappel3000 portable filled with bait, tipups, auger, chair, camera, beer,ETC.... Was very heavy to pull through this snow.  Got my workout today.
Action was slow to non existent today from what I hear on the radio in the southern portion of the lake.
Camera is OK, not as fun as the fish finder. With this much snow on the ice, it gets dark quick.(even with the LED.)
And what's up with the water quality?  Alot of Cra& floating around in the water.
Bring on the Football.

Newfound Bloodhound  ;D

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2009, 12:23 PM »
I'm glad i decided not to go out, newfound bloundhound.  I'll try it tomorrow with the kids and see how we make out.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.