Author Topic: How to jig deep for eye's  (Read 5483 times)

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
How to jig deep for eye's
« on: Feb 26, 2009, 03:08 PM »
Just curious on how you guys get your jigs, rapalas etc. down to jig for the walleye?  Do you add a split shot to get it down there or just drop and let is settle ot the right depth?
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
Re: How to jig deep for eye's
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2009, 11:08 AM »
Typically the jig I am using gets right down to depth in no time no problem.  I dont use the small micro stuff when jigging the eyes outside of the weeds in deeper water.  I am against using split shot on any jig  JMHO

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:33 PM »
there should be no need for any weight at all on any jigs.........if you are jigging for walleyes just use the jig alone and let it drop until you find the bottom come up about 6-8 inches and start jiggin......a flasher really helps

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2009, 11:38 PM »
i use 1/8 oz jigs in shallow water (10 feet or less) i'll bump up to 1/4 to about 35 feet then i like 3/8 for deeper. i don't fish deep enough to need more than 3/8 oz.

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2009, 11:40 PM »
I usually jig right about eye level.................  :P

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2009, 06:43 AM »
Guess I was really thinking more along the lines of rapalas etc. that might not drop as good as a lead jig.  I have never jigged with the rapalas through the ice probably will make more sense once I give it a try.  Thanks for the tips guys
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline bluenose30

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2009, 11:21 PM »
we use jigging raps all the time on the saginaw river and on the bay. they r truley a walleye catching lure!!! when ya let them down they can spin around a lil. i use size 5's to size 9's. i use the smaller 5's on calmer water or in no current, then as things change i go up in size just keep a good feel w/ my lure. works all the time! just lift them up 5 -15 inches and let em fall w/ a taught line, they will dart on the fall.

Offline Adam Bomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2009, 11:00 PM »
No need for weight on a jigging rap..those things sink like a brick!!!...no shot needed on any jigging presentation.
Get your MOJO rising.
Adam

Offline bluenose30

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2009, 12:04 AM »
AB is right! we fish the same water and we both seem to do very well!!!! if ya don't believe me, believe him!! NEVER ADD WEIGHT WHEN JIGGING!!!!  NEVER!!!!

yeaboy

« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2009, 03:59 PM »
#7 rapalas  get down quick  JUST CUT THE FRONT HOOK OFF u will lose alot of fish from it. 95% of the time u hook all fish on the trebble. if the fish is going to hit a rapala u dont need the front hook u will get it trust me. old timer told me that and if i see him again im going to tell him your wright.
              dont be scared to rip it up 2-3 feet lifts it brings them in alot, then do like said 6 to 12" lifts bam fish on.     small shiner head on trebble for looks if needed.. 8 to 10 lbs line for no trebble hook tangle

for other jigs to get down quick u have to have the wright pound line to get down quicker. have # of rods with ponud line for different jigs saves on fishing time also

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2009, 11:26 PM »
I generally fish 35-40fow for eyes. I use a medium-heavy action rod with 10 lb fireline. To this I tie a barrel swivel and add 4 feet of 8 lb fluorocarbon. I set my reel for 3lbs. of drag. Add on a number 7 jiggin rap and go to town. This set up really reduces line stretch making for good solid hookups.

Offline Adam Bomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Not to mention superior feel when your fishing that deep..Braids a must for situations like this IMO.
Get your MOJO rising.
Adam

Offline dk_kon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2009, 05:08 PM »
I generally fish 35-40fow for eyes. I use a medium-heavy action rod with 10 lb fireline. To this I tie a barrel swivel and add 4 feet of 8 lb fluorocarbon. I set my reel for 3lbs. of drag. Add on a number 7 jiggin rap and go to town. This set up really reduces line stretch making for good solid hookups.

Have you had any success with using just the fireline with no fluoro leader, or is it essential in your experience?  Thanks

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2009, 03:19 PM »

dont be scared to rip it up 2-3 feet lifts it brings them in alot, then do like said 6 to 12" lifts bam fish on.     small shiner head on trebble for looks if needed.. 8 to 10 lbs line for no trebble hook tangle

for other jigs to get down quick u have to have the wright pound line to get down quicker. have # of rods with ponud line for different jigs saves on fishing time also

thats how I have jig'd for them.  1-3 foot lifts and lower it with just enough tension on it so if they hit it on the down fall you can set the hook 
Don

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2009, 10:24 AM »
Have you had any success with using just the fireline with no fluoro leader, or is it essential in your experience?  Thanks

Substantial increase in hits with the leader. Theoretically fish can't see flourocarbon.
Alot of the area's I fish the water is super clear, if you are fishing some murky stuff it might not be so critical.

Aaron

Offline FishingNy03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:36 PM »
jigging raps dont need weight..even the little ones have weight to them

Offline solman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:02 PM »
Dude try a weight see what happens may cut your sink time in half and give toy 80 -90 seconds of additional fishing time.

peace

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.