Author Topic: Tip-downs for perch  (Read 3931 times)

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
Tip-downs for perch
« on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:07 PM »
I built a couple of homemade tip-downs and was woundering if guys use them for perch and what do you use. Any info would be great....... :)thanks
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline FishWiz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip-downs for perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:10 PM »
I have used homemade ones for 8 years for perch crappie all the panfish I mostly use a small jig tipped with a minnow

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:15 PM »
No live bait use here.

Perch eye on # 12 treble, never misses.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:29 AM »
1/2 or 3/8oz egg sinker at the end of your line, snelled hook one foot above, and a second a foot above that if your state allows it... Rig with whatever live or natural bait you see fit and set so the sinker is just touching the bottom. Caught perch, walleyes, pike, crappie, and burbot on this rig.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2017, 06:44 AM »
I routinely catch more keeper perch on my tip downs than I do jigging. Jigging seems to work if you like catching dinks, but I set my tip downs about 6 inches off the bottom with a fathead or rosie hooked through the back just ahead of its dorsal fin. Seems to keep most of the dinks away and is usually pretty effective at landing some keepers. If you hook the minnow too far back then you will miss a lot of hooks since fish seem to attack them head first.
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2017, 02:01 PM »
I routinely catch more keeper perch on my tip downs than I do jigging. Jigging seems to work if you like catching dinks, but I set my tip downs about 6 inches off the bottom with a fathead or rosie hooked through the back just ahead of its dorsal fin. Seems to keep most of the dinks away and is usually pretty effective at landing some keepers. If you hook the minnow too far back then you will miss a lot of hooks since fish seem to attack them head first.

I fish them very similar but use a #12 treble hook.  The smaller perch can't get the whole bait in at once with the treble and the bigger fish have no problem but also don't come unbuttoned when they suck in the entire minnow.  If I am on a better fish without having to worry about dinks or the bite is lighter I go with an emerald or fathead on a single gold #8 bait holder.  Other baits include fishing just the head or a perch eye.  Good Luck!
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.